The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Demko "rattles" em bad!

Rate this topic

iceman64

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

I sort of agree with you that it was done as a team BUT without Demko standing on his head while our team let him get peppered, yes we had the firepower that kept us in it but without Demko we would have probably seen 4-5 games instead of the last period of game 7

And only one goal got by him while he was standing there and it got in their heads and STAYED there, so as much as I agree with you the fact still remains that this team will have a bright future with Thatcher between the pipes, thankfully that's not just skill but calmness that matches almost anyone in the league that has the Elite label attached. 

Team wise, it all starts with having a great goalie, then D and JB is upgrading the D and 3/4th lines with our set top six, we're getting close.. 

Thank God the rebuild or whatever you want to call it, is pretty much over, hard to see a team like ours will look like in a couple of seasons not making serious cup runs.

Pretty fun to be a nux fan these days and looking forward to watching this core for years. Just a tweak here and there and we're golden! 

Without Markstrom...... standing on his head....the team needed Demko standing on his head.   As great as Demko was, I wouldn't assume the team would not have been in games 5 to 7 with Markstrom in net.  I guess the point being that Vegas' confidence 'could' have been broken down with Markstrom as well - as it was with Demko - and then furthered upon by Dallas.  And part of the collapse strategy, of protecting the hard areas at all costs - was to protect the young goaltender - a somewhat conscious strategy to depend on counterpunching - somewhat of a concession as well that the team didn't quite have the health and depth to assert their 200ft puck pressure game vs a healthy, fast, veteran Vegas.  I'm not downplaying Demko's performance by any stretch, I'm simply saying that Markstrom, in the same conditions, could have produced comparable results, and in fact was the better goaltender over a significantly larger sample size this season.  Some of that is certainly getting lost in the dust of an epic three game playoff breakout for the ages.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Without Markstrom...... standing on his head....the team needed Demko standing on his head.   As great as Demko was, I wouldn't assume the team would not have been in games 5 to 7 with Markstrom in net.  I guess the point being that Vegas' confidence 'could' have been broken down with Markstrom as well - as it was with Demko - and then furthered upon by Dallas.  And part of the collapse strategy, of protecting the hard areas at all costs - was to protect the young goaltender - a somewhat conscious strategy to depend on counterpunching - somewhat of a concession as well that the team didn't quite have the health and depth to assert their 200ft puck pressure game vs a healthy, fast, veteran Vegas.  I'm not downplaying Demko's performance by any stretch, I'm simply saying that Markstrom, in the same conditions, could have produced comparable results, and in fact was the better goaltender over a significantly larger sample size this season.  Some of that is certainly getting lost in the dust of an epic three game playoff breakout for the ages.

That actually helps prove Demko's accomplishment because Markstrom has been around playing longer and more starts so experience rests on Markstrom's side, Thatcher comes in with even less experience and pulls that off..  your turning this into something it's not, it's a compliment to Demko, his work out in and the coaching he got to get there. 

Markstrom should play like that since he's got the starting job in the first place but expecting to be shut down by our number 2 so hard it gets into their heads and confidence is a huge compliment and reminds us exactly how good he is and if we can't afford Markstrom then we can go with Demko and be ok with it as we go long term and he's not even done yet, just getting his feet wet and it went exactly how we needed it to go so no worries about goal and continue to build our D knowing we have the most important position covered.. 

We're almost there, thankfully Demko is matching the team development of our young guys so it's all progressing as it should, remember when we were ranked at the bottom the last 2 years? Can we just not say thank God Demko is doing that good as to rattle one of the top teams in the league? 

We all know how good Markstrom is with an all-star appearance but that was the last 3 games with Vegas for Demko as he played like an all-star too, how f'n cool is that? 

So DeBoer's comment (based on that tweet) pretty much undermines Dallas, Marky, the rest of the Canucks team and Green. Dallas has been underestimated to this day and are much better than they are given credit for. Marky helped us win two rounds prior to the Vegas series (also for those who think Marky is expendable now). Green implemented the system knowing that they were an outmatched team that had more rest than his own and the players executed taking them to game 7. Yes Demko did his job and amazing one at that, but let's not undermine everything around him because DeBoer cannot admit that maybe a weakness has been discovered in their arrogant side. Vegas was one of those teams that I felt we had no answer for, but now they've fallen back to human levels as our team has shown they can match up against anyone (players and coaches).

• Cheers 1