The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Russo: Wild GM Guerin is actively shopping RHD Matt Dumba

Ilya Mikheyev

6 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I would love to get Dumba to match with Hughes as long as it's not Boeser going the other way as I'm sure his name will, immediately, come up.

I think Hughes needs a more physical, stay at home partner. Dumba is overrated defensively. Erik Karlsson played his best hockey with Methot as a partner and I think a similar partner for Hughes would be ideal. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I did. Still don't really want him unless it's a huge bargain. Even then, I'd probably prefer putting any extra D cap towards Braun.

Hughes, Tanev

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Braun

Braun would be a solid veteran pick up, however if we’re keeping Tanev then he doesn’t really make much sense. Hughes is really our only true puck mover so I’d like to find another before getting another stay at home defender. 

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

I think Hughes needs a more physical, stay at home partner. Dumba is overrated defensively. Erik Karlsson played his best hockey with Methot as a partner and I think a similar partner for Hughes would be ideal. 

I wouldn't be putting him there to offset Hughes defensively as Hughes has proven capable in our end also (just needs more experience). I'm putting him there to take advantage of his wicked shot and provide a physical element to the pairing. 

Hughes setting up Dumba could be a regular thing for that pairing. 

Truth be told though, I'm still curious as to what Woo can bring. Would way rather wait for our own talent to develop.

Edited by komodo0921

It wasn't meant as a knock on Hughes defensively. I actually think Hughes doesn't get enough credit for his defensive play. He's better than Makar at it. Actually, I think Hughes is better than Dumba defensively and that's where I see the issue. I still think Hughes is better off with a bigger, physical partner to take care of the big bodies out there. Stick and positional checks are effective but when both dmen only do that it's to weak imho. 

15 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Minny apparently wants a top 6 c with skill. I can see the nuge being a target he’s on wing in Edmonton and they could use a legit rhd

RNH for Dumba makes sense $ wise since it's a wash and both teams more or less address a key need.  RNH hasn't played as much C for awhile but he has been decent in that position over the years.  If they have concerns about RNH's F/O, then I guess if Bjugstad plays on the same line, then they could have Bjugstad do what Miller does for Petey although Bjugstad's numbers have taken a dive overall for the past couple seasons.

The deal would result in Edmonton having a lot of $ committed to D but several contracts are expiring at the end of next year (including RNH's) so it might not be that bad.  Nurse-Dumba could be a very solid pairing to roll out with Klefbom-Larsson.  Their forward depth would still be rather terrible however.

As much as it would be nice to see Dumba with the Canucks, I'm not sure I see a great fit either regarding play or with pieces.  Boeser makes the most sense as a potential trade piece just from $ and the Minnesota connection, but losing Boeser would basically place the Canucks in the same hole they were before they acquired Toffoli.  For that reason I don't see a Boeser for Dumba deal making much sense.  If the Wild like Gaudette then maybe there might be something there but the $ wouldn't work.  The Wild would need to absorb some salary with Gaudette.

29 minutes ago, Pears said:

Braun would be a solid veteran pick up, however if we’re keeping Tanev then he doesn’t really make much sense. Hughes is really our only true puck mover so I’d like to find another before getting another stay at home defender. 

Juolevi and Rathbone. That's where those guys are coming from.

Dumba to Montreal for either Domi (re-signed) or Danault (extended)?  

Wild need #1 C, Danault's been showing some good upside as a top line shutdown center and would have passed 50 points in a full season.  Same with Domi who's got grit and has been playing center.  Despite both being passed by Suzuki and Kotkaniemi during the post-season, they're still good players and young (mid 20's).

In Kypreos and McLean's interview on how to fix the team, McLean says they need an offensive D-man for the PP.  Last season, Dumba scored at double the rate as he did this year, so he could be due for a rebound in scoring.    

Purely thinking on a boring work day, and wonder if this would fly for both teams?    

Edited by Phil_314

1 hour ago, rekker said:

It wasn't meant as a knock on Hughes defensively. I actually think Hughes doesn't get enough credit for his defensive play. He's better than Makar at it. Actually, I think Hughes is better than Dumba defensively and that's where I see the issue. I still think Hughes is better off with a bigger, physical partner to take care of the big bodies out there. Stick and positional checks are effective but when both dmen only do that it's to weak imho. 

Agreed.  I want to see Hughes with Myers next year.

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Tanev (if resigned)

3 pairs that can split the time (no need to hide a 3rd pairing) and both have some offense to go along with solid defensive play

1 minute ago, Jayinblack said:

Agreed.  I want to see Hughes with Myers next year.

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Tanev (if resigned)

3 pairs that can split the time (no need to hide a 3rd pairing) and both have some offense to go along with solid defensive play

Yes. And tell Myers to just give the puck to Hughes every chance you get. Lol.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Well Minnie had at least 3 other d-men they thought were worth keeping over Dumba. Western Canadian boy. Hope JB is checking him out. 

If we want an expensive, prime aged D to play with Hughes, we need to target guys like Parayko etc, not Dumba. We in no way need Dumba.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why not?  Seems like a good guy off the ice who values his community.  I question the fit from a hockey perspective, but I have zero issues with as a person.

Yeah. Curious why not as well. Seems like a guy with good character. 

Is he good defensively? Well, that's another question entirely.