The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Russo: Wild GM Guerin is actively shopping RHD Matt Dumba

Ilya Mikheyev

Just now, aGENT said:

That's great. Unless we're dumping cap back, he's barely an upgrade on Stecher with a far higher price tag. 

No thanks, especially at the Boeser+ prices people are going on about.

I mean, if Boeser is the moving piece I would expect it to be Dumba+ not Boeser+

2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I mean, if Boeser is the moving piece I would expect it to be Dumba+ not Boeser+

But why do that then? Why give up one of our better young players for 'meh'. If we need anything, it's a solid, two way RD with size and top pair upside coming back for moving a piece like Boeser. That's far, FAR from Dumba.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But why do that then? Why give up one of our better young players for 'meh'. If we need anything, it's a solid, two way RD with size and top pair upside coming back for moving a piece like Boeser. That's far, FAR from Dumba.

Well, I don't think Dumba is 'meh,' but I agree he's more of a second pairing defense man on a cup team (although he's led the Wild in playoff TOI/GP in their last two playoff appearances, and was tied 2nd on the team in TOI/GP last season...has been in their top 3 for the past 4 years). I think Toffoli can replace Brock's nose for the net, but the Canucks badly need another top-4 defenseman, even if they re-sign Tanev.

Are there better options than Dumba? Maybe.. but who? Not many would be available. Barrie is one option, but he's less physical and less capable in the defensive end than Dumba - and who knows if he really wants what Benning would offer. Who else is on the market?

The Canucks also needed more size in their top-9 against Vegas

So maybe a Dumba, Greenway + 2nd round pick for Boeser + rights to Stech (since he wouldn't be qualified in this case anyway) + 1/2 of Baer could be made.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

why pay for a Dumba when you can have a Barrie for free? 

• Cheers 1

MIN obviously needs to shed some salary, with 4 of their D making $6+:

Suter (35) - $7,538,461 for 5 more years

Spurgeon (30) - $7,575,000 for 7 more years

Dumba (26) - $6,000,000 for 3 more years

Brodin (27) - $6,000,000 for 7 more years, after this season

That Suter contract is brutal. Same with Parise (36), with 5 more years at $7.5+. Yikes.

Benning needs to tread lightly

5 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

Agreed.  I want to see Hughes with Myers next year.

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Stecher

Juolevi-Tanev (if resigned)

3 pairs that can split the time (no need to hide a 3rd pairing) and both have some offense to go along with solid defensive play

I never want to see Stech in a top 4 role. He struggles with those matchups. He's a bottom pairing D and these playoffs showed that for me. Our D struggled big time when Myers was hurt and Stech took his place.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Well, I don't think Dumba is 'meh,' but I agree he's more of a second pairing defense man on a cup team (although he's led the Wild in playoff TOI/GP in their last two playoff appearances, and was tied 2nd on the team in TOI/GP last season...has been in their top 3 for the past 4 years). I think Toffoli can replace Brock's nose for the net, but the Canucks badly need another top-4 defenseman, even if they re-sign Tanev.

Are there better options than Dumba? Maybe.. but who? Not many would be available. Barrie is one option, but he's less physical and less capable in the defensive end than Dumba - and who knows if he really wants what Benning would offer. Who else is on the market?

The Canucks also needed more size in their top-9 against Vegas

So maybe a Dumba, Greenway + 2nd round pick for Boeser + rights to Stech (since he wouldn't be qualified in this case anyway) + 1/2 of Baer could be made.

Best option IMO would be patience. We don't 'badly' need a top 4 D. We'll have Hughes, Edler, Tanev and Myers. Add Juolevi on the third pair and, for now,  we're in need of a solid, 3rd pair, RD.

Barrie also wouldn't cost any assets, least of all Boeser.

If anything, we should be targeting teams bound to lose a D in the ED.

Now adding Greenway in your last paragraph there and taking back dumping Baer and I might listen.. a bit more. But anything remotely around Dumba for Boeser at/near straight across is a laughable non starter.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Best option IMO would be patience. We don't 'badly' need a top 4 D. We'll have Hughes, Edler, Tanev and Myers. Add Juolevi on the third pair and, for now,  we're in need of a solid, 3rd pair, RD.

Barrie also wouldn't cost any assets, least of all Boeser.

If anything, we should be targeting teams bound to lose a D in the ED.

Now adding Greenway in your last paragraph there and taking back dumping Baer and I might listen.. a bit more. But anything remotely around Dumba for Boeser at/near straight across is a laughable non starter.

I'll disagree on the 'badly' need. I think the Canucks showed after the break that they can compete for the cup with a few moves and a bit more growth from their young stars. But the D was a huge hole, and esp breaking out. I think Juolevi - Myers is a great 3rd pairing and either can move up in case of injury.

I think Barrie could be a good signing but there's no guarantee he'd sign here either.

But I agree with you, if Boeser is the main piece, he's worth more than Dumba 1-for-1. Ray Ferraro disagrees with us tho :lol:

2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I'll disagree on the 'badly' need. I think the Canucks showed after the break that they can compete for the cup with a few moves and a bit more growth from their young stars. But the D was a huge hole, and esp breaking out. I think Juolevi - Myers is a great 3rd pairing and either can move up in case of injury.

I think Barrie could be a good signing but there's no guarantee he'd sign here either.

But I agree with you, if Boeser is the main piece, he's worth more than Dumba 1-for-1. Ray Ferraro disagrees with us tho :lol:

Hate to break it to you but Dumba isn't that 'missing piece'. Parayko (or similar), sure. Dumba (or Barrie for that matter), not even close.

Again, we're going to need patience to solve that dilemma, not Leipsic on a bandaid, on a pig.