The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - Rights to RHD

UKNuck96

We have a few players coming into RFA which we probably won’t want to qualify, we are also needing to fill a RHD gap.

proposal - trade rights to virtanan for rights to Philippe Myers 

sign Myers for no more than 2.5 mill. My understanding is he doesn’t qualify for arbitration either so might be able to get a better value.

yes he is a project and not a finalised deal, but he is a big body RHD who seems to be projecting in the right areas and in a couple of years when we shed the veteran contracts we have should be starting to peak. 

also well aware it’s a trade which swaps a 1rd pick for an undrafted but for me that is irrelevant vs team need 

4 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Noah Juulsen 

We already have Baer & Ferk whose career's seem to be in doubt due to concussion issues  - Juulsen , while once a top prospect, has had serious head injury issues in the past is my understanding.   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

You're really pushing hard for this kid, eh? I haven't seen him play, what's your 'scouting report' on him? 

Plays with a chip on his shoulder about 6 foot 3 190 pounds. a mobile two way D man. I would Honeslty think him and Hughes would play well with eachother. However he has had a few head injuries. He is also from Surrey 

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Plays with a chip on his shoulder about 6 foot 3 190 pounds. a mobile two way D man. I would Honeslty think him and Hughes would play well with eachother. However he has had a few head injuries. He is also from Surrey 

That's worrying... I think we'd be better off paying a bit more for someone like Cernak instead.

11 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

You're really pushing hard for this kid, eh? I haven't seen him play, what's your 'scouting report' on him? 

He’s a good old fashioned BC boy.

however the concussion risk this early in his career was why I steered clear and went for P.Myers instead 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Cheers 1

Myers played over 20 minutes in the post-season.  He’s their only young right shot D.  Niskanen also shoots right but will turn 34 this year and is up in a year.  Would be highly surprising if Philadelphia lets him go.

They are also full on the top-9 wings. Lindblom is back healthy.  

Virtanen has arbitration rights which Myers does not.  The position he plays, being a RHD, not having arbitration rights makes him far more valuable than Virtanen.  He hasn’t been scratched or called out either. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Myers played over 20 minutes in the post-season.  He’s their only young right shot D.  Niskanen also shoots right but will turn 34 this year and is up in a year.  Would be highly surprising if Philadelphia lets him go.

They are also full on the top-9 wings. Lindblom is back healthy.  

Virtanen has arbitration rights which Myers does not.  The position he plays, being a RHD, not having arbitration rights makes him far more valuable than Virtanen.  He hasn’t been scratched or called out either. 

He also hasn’t spent a full season up with the main team.

my thought were it would potentially allow them to move Voráček which there is some noise that they may want to do 

Just now, UKNuck96 said:

He also hasn’t spent a full season up with the main team.

my thought were it would potentially allow them to move Voráček which there is some noise that they may want to do 

He is a young player and is still developing.  He was their 4th most used D this post-season.  It’s far harder to find a D especially a RHD over a winger.  

Gostisbehere though has been in trade rumours for a while now.  He was a scratch for several games this post-season.

53 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

We have a few players coming into RFA which we probably won’t want to qualify, we are also needing to fill a RHD gap.

sign Myers for no more than 2.5 mill. My understanding is he doesn’t qualify for arbitration either so might be able to get a better value.

yes he is a project and not a finalised deal, but he is a big body RHD who seems to be projecting in the right areas and in a couple of years when we shed the veteran contracts we have should be starting to peak. 

also well aware it’s a trade which swaps a 1rd pick for an undrafted but for me that is irrelevant vs team need 

There’s no way that the Flyers would give us Philippe Myers for Virtanen.    It’s a nice pipe dream but the Flyers easily say no to that.   

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Not sure where his health is at these days but this could be a classic case of buying low on someone and having it pan out big time.

Could also be another ferland. For me fine if you have the space to take the chance but we don’t so wouldn’t risk it 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

There’s no way that the Flyers would give us Philippe Myers for Virtanen.    It’s a nice pipe dream but the Flyers easily say no to that.   

I don't think you can say that about this deal???

Virtanen, 24, 6'1, 220 lbs RW power forward 20 goal scorer and lots of teams see Jake as a 20-25 G guy -- 45 points, Change could wake Jake up??

Jake has a bright future just not in Vancouver...

Example - Burakovsky, 24, 6'3 - trade to Colorado last season new life 58 GP - G 20 -- 45 points...This player did nothing in 4 years with Washington??

Jake will do the same with new team,..Jake will turn out to be a top 6 forward with Flyers just needs wake up..Won't happen in Vancouver..

I can see Flyers making this deal Myers 23, 6'5 , only 72 NHL games..... Make this deal..Jim Benning exciting deal...

Edited by wildcam
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

I like this concept a lot, seems a lot like the kind of deal Jim would do. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Surprised the Canucks released RD Matt Brassard, especially if they plan on promoting D to the NHL

He could have filled farm spots

Because they went with Elliot instead. Brassard was a long shot. Plus they were at 48 of 50 contracts so didn’t have the space to fit him in 

Edited by UKNuck96