The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Manny Malhotra to Toronto

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

21 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Hope face-offs don't tank next season. That was one of the more unexpected strong suites of the Canucks and Manny was a big part of that.

I love Manny, but how much more advice could he have passed along to Horvat from their 3-year prior relationship?

Manny was a great mentor. But a key to growth is to not have the same mentor for years upon years. Manny taught things to Bo that Bo can pass down to Petey, Gaud, etc. Now time for a new assistant coach that can help guys develop a new element to their game. I don't know if the Canucks employ a full-time skating coach, but that makes a ton of sense to me especially given Petey and Boes aren't phenomenal skaters.

"Manny's such an awesome guy," said Brock Boeser. "He really cares about each individual that he works with on the ice. He really pushes you to get better in practices. He pulls guys aside to help them out during games and show them clips too...I'm really happy for Manny and I think he's going to do a great job in Toronto."

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/report-manny-malhotra-to-leave-the-canucks-and-join-the-maple-leafs-coaching-staff-2720823

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raspberries said:

This is awful news for us.  Great for Manny, he deserves everything he wants, but this will be a huge loss for us.  Still, I am beyond happy for him. 

Toronto does not deserve him though.

Soon as he finds out how bad Toronto really sucks is when it's longer than a week, he'll be back!

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

theres ~100 bench jobs in the NHL. Its more like a family business than a big corp in that way. Standing in the way of people's opportunities in this industry would be pretty slimy. 

The only time to do this is if you have plans in the near future to give them a matching (or better) promotion in your own organization. This has been seen in the past, but without a guarantee, you have to let them go.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

What were they supposed to promote him to?

Newell Brown's spot needs an upgrade.

Or a change anyway.

I also wonder if a spot could have been made down in the Ahl.

Edited by gurn