The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Manny Malhotra to Toronto

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Our faceoff will suffer without Manny teaching the players about art of the faceoff and other aspect of the game.  Leafs will benefit greatly from this hire.  I never liked Brown so hopefully that we would be able to find a better assistant coach out there.  All the best, Manny.

Just now, coolboarder said:

Our faceoff will suffer without Manny teaching the players about art of the faceoff and other aspect of the game.  Leafs will benefit greatly from this hire.  I never liked Brown so hopefully that we would be able to find a better assistant coach out there.  All the best, Manny.

I don't think so in the short term. Miller or  Bo's not going to take a step back e.g., now that Manny is gone. 

I wonder if Beagle would be a good guy on the coaching staff once his contract is over? 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

59 minutes ago, c00kies said:

The only time to do this is if you have plans in the near future to give them a matching (or better) promotion in your own organization. This has been seen in the past, but without a guarantee, you have to let them go.

yup, its what good people do. It also shows future staff of the Canucks that they'll be treated well. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I don't think so in the short term. Miller or  Bo's not going to take a step back e.g., now that Manny is gone. 

I wonder if Beagle would be a good guy on the coaching staff once his contract is over? 

I feel like, at some point, coaching becomes overkill once players have the basics in place.  He was a mentor for sure....but change helps prevent getting stale so, although I hate the thought of losing Manny behind the bench, you can't blame him for wanting to also keep fresh and continue on his personal journey.  This organization tends to not be one dimensional in considering "what's best" overall...it's a two way street and that's respectable.  Manny has left the guys with the tools they need and they can pass that along to any newcomers who may need help.

Bo's solid...I don't see him regressing in face offs at this point....especially as he continues to gather experience there.  One day he'll be the master passing along those skills.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel like, at some point, coaching becomes overkill once players have the basics in place.  He was a mentor for sure....but change helps prevent getting stale so, although I hate the thought of losing Manny behind the bench, you can't blame him for wanting to also keep fresh and continue on his personal journey.  This organization tends to not be one dimensional in considering "what's best"...it's a two way street and that's respectable.  Manny has left the guys with the tools they need and they can pass that along to any newcomers who may need help.

Bo's solid...I don't see him regressing in face offs at this point....especially as he continues to gather experience there.  One day he'll be the master passing along the skills.

yup thats how I see it too. I'm less worried as well because I think Petey ended up at 49.4% on the dot int he playoffs, so I think Manny's influence has sunk in with him too. Petey will be a beast with another offseason of strength training and I think he'll be another 50%+ guy going forward. 

• Vintage 3

1 minute ago, coolboarder said:

I don't think it will have immediate effect.  He has taught the young guys well over the last 3-4 years.  It will stay with these guys for the rest of their careers.  Petey and Bo have already received the foundation and some fine tuning to the art of faceoffs and the more subtle nuances of the game from him.  If anything, I worry about the next wave of players like Podkolzin and Höglander etc...

Regardless, with a year left on his contract, and Green not standing in his way (classy move) will pay dividends over the long haul for this franchise... Just like Mannys influence on our core players.  But there is no doubt, we are weaker as an organization today compared to yesterday.:(  

Good luck Manny, well deserved.  We'll miss you.

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

Someone has to teach the Make Beleafs to play defense I guess. Good luck Manny. Here's hoping for some contrived scenario where you succeed but Toronto continues to crash and burn.

"Despite them learning all the things possible about this game, the Maple Leafs have, once again, bombed out".

Yes, that would be great.

I like Manny but if The Leafs plan to fix their sinking ship is to hire a guy who has never been an NHL assistant/head coach before then I think they better make sure they have a lot of lifejackets. You'd think he would need AHL experience before getting an NHL shot. Good for Manny though. 

In a league that is filled with parody, teams are looking for organizational edges and that extra 2% edge on their side to win.

The Canucks since Mike Gillis' tenure had instituted those measures to maximize any sort of advantages to give this team a chance for success.  From measuring sleep studies, nutrition and recovery etc.  Most recently we have allowed that to occur through having systemic structure advantages through Judd Brackett as a key head of scouting director, Ian Clark as our goalie coach, Manny as our faceoff and eyes in the sky coach, Doug Jarvis as a senior advisor

With our recent success, its no question that other organizations will notice.  

Canucks need to keep finding ways to find those edges whereever they can...obviously within legal parameters of course..unlike Arizona lol

• Vintage 1