Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - NJD (Proposal)

VAN: 

Damon Severson

NJD: 

Tanner Pearson

Jake Virtanen

2021 3rd Round Pick

Vancouver solidifies its D core with Severson who's a big body RHD. Gives a bit more size and is a decent skater which helps the defense get a little quicker. He's on $4.1 M until 2023 - 2024. 

New Jersey gets a good depth winger in Pearson who can effectively take on the role Wayne Simmonds had as a veteran presence in their lineup. Virtanen was a throw in to up the value since he's effectively gone according to the Benning quotes.

What do you guys think?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Likely not enough. I would try to get Zacha out of NJD as well.

Miles Wood is my target, Severson would be a nice fit maybe too!? Watched him quite a bit with the Rockets and always liked him, liked many RHD they have produced...Canucks haven't drafted 1 yet, maybe someday they will tho

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Miles Wood is my target, Severson would be a nice fit maybe too!? Watched him quite a bit with the Rockets and always liked him, liked many RHD they have produced...Canucks haven't drafted 1 yet, maybe someday they will tho

That would be nice for the wing for sure. Maybe a package of all three? Would shore up 3LW 3C and our RD quite nicely.

Boeser + Gaudette + Stecher

for

Severson + Zacha + Woods

6 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

That would be nice for the wing for sure. Maybe a package of all three? Would shore up 3LW 3C and our RD quite nicely.

Boeser + Gaudette + Stecher

for

Severson + Zacha + Woods

This is quite a large trade, I like the 3 players coming back. Unsure if what we send would be enough for NJ though

1 hour ago, WCE said:

I would really like to add Severson, keep Pearson though.

To NJD Boeser, rights to Virtanen & Stecher  

To Van Severson & 3rd rd pick 2021 

Funny how people say Dumba is overrated but will throw away a top 6 forward, a middle 6 forward and a 3rd pair D-man for a 4/5 D-man and a middling pick. I like Severson but I dunno if I am trading Boeser for him straight up. Let alone giving them Stecher and Virtanen as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Funny how people say Dumba is overrated but will throw away a top 6 forward, a middle 6 forward and a 3rd pair D-man for a 4/5 D-man and a middling pick. I like Severson but I dunno if I am trading Boeser for him straight up. Let alone giving them Stecher and Virtanen as well.

I would rather go after Severson if available over Dumba. Wouldn't move Boeser for either tho, but you can't get something good for nothing...Wait till Cup is awarded then call TB and ask about Cernak. TB in cap crunch also

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would rather go after Severson if available over Dumba. Wouldn't move Boeser for either tho, but you can't get something good for nothing...Wait till Cup is awarded then call TB and ask about Cernak. TB in cap crunch also

Cernak would be nice, younger Josh Manson from the looks of it. And I am always game to take gifts from Tampa. The last one looks pretty good. I imagine they do everything in their power to move other contracts before Cernak though.

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Cernak would be nice, younger Josh Manson from the looks of it. And I am always game to take gifts from Tampa. The last one looks pretty good. I imagine they do everything in their power to move other contracts before Cernak though.

only somewhat moveable contract I think is Killorn with a partial NTC, rest are full NTC. If TB believes in Foote and they keep Bogosian then I think they would let Cernak go, but it won't include us sending salary back unless its a cheap contract

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

only somewhat moveable contract I think is Killorn with a partial NTC, rest are full NTC. If TB believes in Foote and they keep Bogosian then I think they would let Cernak go, but it won't include us sending salary back unless its a cheap contract

So it'll cost us a Lind, Pod or Hoglander and/or some picks? I don't see them valuing Juolevi or Gadjovich. Virtanen's gonna get 2-3mil it looks like. Same with Stech. So they are no go's for a cap strapped team.

On 9/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, Tyndall2 said:

Why is everybody in a hurry to get rid of Boeser?  I would love to get this guy and would give them Pearson and Jake in a heartbeat.  Maybe throw in Ericsson too for nothing LOL.

Lota of reasons, actually:

- Because he hasn't met the scoring expectations set for him since his rookie year. When a player on a crappy team manages 55 points in 62 games in his rookie season, you expect as the rest of the team develops that he would be a ppg guy in short order. Boeser has not only not met that, but has regressed a bit points-wise.

- We have a couple really talented prospects who are poised to be top 6 players at far lower salary.

- Injury history.

- An overall feeling like maybe his head isn't always in the game.

- The fact he is one of few really good assets we have to potentially move and get something good in return. Particularly to fix the D.

- The fact his qualifying offer would be 7.5m the year after we've already shelled out big bucks for Petey and Hughes.

Not saying I agree with the idea of trading Boeser. At all. We finally have a legit top 6 that we rely heavily on for scoring and I don't think now is the time to break it up. But I DO understand where the trade Boeser movement is coming from.

Personally, I believe that next year Boeser is poised to do well. This season his production may be a bit lower, but he really improved his 2 way game. If he can put it all together next year that will drive up his trade value and if Podz or Hogs wow us, perhaps a move NEXT off-season would be prudent. But not now.