The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, hateleafs said:

Absolutely. I was just pointing out the society bias toward abortions being a personal choice where someone forces a mask on my face not being a free choice.  But it’s all good I do wear a mask. 

It’s a personal choice either way. There’s no “bias towards abortions being a personal choice”. The former however is one of choice of one’s own body.

No one is forcing you to wear a mask. If you don’t wear a mask then that’s your choice. Whether others let you go into their establishment, or give you dirty looks, is their choice as well. Your choice doesn’t supersede theirs. 

If govt, which represents society, mandates that, for the greater good of all, you are required to wear a mask, or seatbelt, etc...then the govt has the right by representing the greater members of society, to enforce that right on behalf of the greater social ‘good’.

• Thanks 1

I've seen a fair amount of hand-wringing on the part of the Liberal media about how the SCOTUS appointment will galvanize Trump's base, but I have to wonder: Can they really be more galvanized? These are people who will pack themselves into an arena filled with strangers in the midst of a deadly pandemic...

I believe that this issue will "galvanize" another electoral faction: Women.

Certainly there are pro-choice women voters, but I have to imagine that the stakes just went up for any woman who cares about her reproductive rights being controlled by a bunch of bible thumpers with zero chance of ever getting pregnant.

• Thanks 1

Also worth noting:

If Trump and McConnell push through a new SCOTUS judge, it bears noting that the administration is currently in court, trying to overturn the ACA. What are the chances these efforts eventually succeed with a conservative dominated Supreme Court?

The 2018 midterms were won by the Dems largely because of healthcare. Biden's team will need to hammer this home....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

For the record.

Medical insurance companies have largely, in America already decided that having had covid under these circumstances constitutes a pre-existing condition.

So anyone losing ACA is about to get their butts handed tto them.

I'm surprised the Dems haven't started beating this drum yet....

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not that we needed another example of what a POS Trump is, but now he's claiming that RBG's final wish (that her successor not be named until after the election) was really written by Democrat politicians.....<_<

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/21/donald-trump-ruth-bader-ginsburg-dying-wish-democrats

I have no words...just absolutely beside myself. Politicizing a dying woman's wishes...and not just ANY woman, either. The &^@#er has finally hit the lowest low...though it's probably only going to be the lowest low of TODAY, unfortunately. He needs to go... he needs to be removed and frankly, I don't even care how he's removed anymore. Any grassy knolls on the way to his next superspreader event?

I'm all out of envelopes.... dammit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 1

Mitt Romney has joined Chuck Grassley and Cory Gardner in saying they will support a vote on RBG's replacement, thus proving that only two Republican senators possess an ounce of integrity....(Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski)

If you're an American and rely on the ACA, you might want to look at moving to a civilized country, ASAP.

• Thanks 1

Mitt Romney has joined Chuck Grassley and Cory Gardner in saying they will support a vote on RBG's replacement, thus proving that only two Republican senators possess an ounce of integrity....(Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski)

If you're an American and rely on the ACA, you might want to look at moving to a civilized country, ASAP.

They made their beds, now let them lie in it. 

Collins has a real chance of losing because she so closely attached herself to Urine Man.  She had no choice but to take this position to distance herself from "I'll take my steak well done with Heinz 57" if she wants to get re-elected to the Senate.  I don't know much about the other person.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

They made their beds, now let them lie in it. 

I have some sympathy for some Americans....

Many of them have been against Trump from day one and the Tea Party Republicans before him.

I agree about those who staunchly stand behind him, and even those who "took a chance" because they couldn't be bothered to look at what he really was. (a "businessman" with multiple bankruptcies to his credit, a prolific liar, a racist and a misogynist) There was overwhelming evidence of all of this before the 2016 election and anyone who voted for him anyway, deserves what they get.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Collins has a real chance of losing because she so closely attached herself to Urine Man.  She had no choice but to take this position to distance herself from "I'll take my steak well done with Heinz 57" if she wants to get re-elected to the Senate.  I don't know much about the other person.

Collins seems to me to be attempting to straddle both sides. She voted against witnesses during the impeachment proceedings, yet now she's suddenly developed a conscience.

I'm glad that somebody isn't a complete hypocrite, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone who voted against witnesses at that so-called trial needs to go.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's always like this. They are always just shy of the needed dissenters to stop things, they do it on purpose. Susan "He's learned his lesson" Collins has no more integrity than the rest of them.

Edited by Duodenum
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have some sympathy for some Americans....

Many of them have been against Trump from day one and the Tea Party Republicans before him.

I agree that those who staunchly stand behind him, and even those who "took a chance" because they couldn't be bothered to look at what he really was. (a "businessman" with multiple bankruptcies to his credit, a prolific liar, a racist and a misogynist) There was overwhelming evidence of all of this before the 2016 election and anyone who voted for him anyway, deserves what they get.

I do as well, for the record.

4 hours ago, Duodenum said:

It's always like this. They are always just shy of the needed dissenters to stop things, they do it on purpose. Susan "He's learned his lesson" Collins has no more integrity than the rest of them.

That's their way of saying, "we know this is crap, but we're toeing the party line and it'll always just get by."

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is curious as to why Trump is attempting to fast track Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, this might provide some insight:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/19/supreme-court-declines-to-block-pennsylvania-mail-in-ballot-extension-430244

An evenly divided Supreme Court said Monday it is declining to block a Pennsylvania state court ruling allowing mail-in ballots in the crucial battleground state to be counted as long as they’re postmarked by Election Day, even if they arrive up to three days later.

The order from the high court is a victory for Democrats, as the presidential campaigns prepare for an all-out battle for the state's 20 electoral votes.

The justices offered no explanation for their decision. Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh all noted, without further comment, they would have granted Republicans’ application for a stay.

The announcement from the court indicates that the shorthanded court divided 4-4, with Chief Justice John Roberts joining with the three remaining Democratic appointees to refuse to grant emergency relief in the case.

Under court rules, a majority of the voting justices is typically needed to grant a stay. If the court divides evenly, no relief is granted, meaning the action by the last lower court to handle the matter remains in effect.

The court’s deadlock in the Pennsylvania case and the possibility that it signals a similar result in other cases from battleground states could further intensify an already hard-fought battle over Trump’s nominee to replace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died last month.

The result raises the possibility that if the Senate acts in the coming days to confirm President Donald Trump’s nominee, appeals court Judge Amy Coney Barrett, the high court could form a majority capable of stepping in and blocking the ruling the Pennsylvania Supreme Court issued last month if the state GOP or leaders from the state legislature seek to renew their emergency applications.

In their requests for relief, Republicans complained that the state court’s ruling — triggered by the coronavirus pandemic and potential postal delays — violated the U.S. Constitution by usurping the role of the state legislature and by pushing the election past Election Day.

What this boils down to, is that the Republican party went to the Supreme Court in an attempt to disqualify mail-in ballots, even if they were postmarked before Election day. It's a clear attempt at vote suppression, yet somehow, four Supreme Court Justices supported this action. It was only because John Roberts did the right thing, that the motion failed.

However, with ACB on the bench and beholden to Donald Trump (as Gorsuch and Kavanagh are) the GOP are free to try and steal this election, with assistance from the SCOTUS....<_<

On 9/21/2020 at 11:55 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

I've seen a fair amount of hand-wringing on the part of the Liberal media about how the SCOTUS appointment will galvanize Trump's base, but I have to wonder: Can they really be more galvanized? These are people who will pack themselves into an arena filled with strangers in the midst of a deadly pandemic...

I believe that this issue will "galvanize" another electoral faction: Women.

Certainly there are pro-choice women voters, but I have to imagine that the stakes just went up for any woman who cares about her reproductive rights being controlled by a bunch of bible thumpers with zero chance of ever getting pregnant.

Great post. Seems this circle jerking echo chamber has only gotten worse. Wow