The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom or Demko?

Rate this topic

Sedintwinpowersactivate

Markstrom or Demko?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Both for next season and come expansion draft, keep the goalie that gives us the best chance to win a cup. Marky was the main reason we even made the playoffs this year; it was a vezina caliber season. And yes Demko played lights out against the VGK but methinks a 3 game sample does not make a workhorse #1 tender, which Marky currently is.

But if we can't have both...I vote Demko as his age and cap hit will align with the team and where we are headed. That cap savings will help us improve our D but we could also improve our D by trading some young forwards and or prospects as we are seemingly very deep at the F position within the org.

I hope Marky signs a 4 year deal at 5 per and we can have both as a great tandem for the next few years. This position is so important, I'd do a deal with Seattle to ensure they wouldn't select the goalie we don't protect.

Marky is better and a starter. Demko still has a lot to prove.

Demko's cheaper though and we could sign a suitable 1B(Crawford) and both of their contracts would probably still be less than Marky's.

Risk with Marky is money and term. Risk with Demko is if he's good enough right away.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko is a star in the making.  You don't trade away your star players who are under the age of 25...

Thanks Elias.

Very nice to hear your voice be an active one on CDC.

jag älskar dig,

Fetch

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Demko. I like Marky but he's older and this past season was a contract year so that should be taken into consideration. Demkos clearly going to be an amazing goalie in the future and will allow the team the cap space it needs to improve on D. This is a no brainer.

Marky, seemed to be injury prone this year, maybe age and work, and hurt when we needed him, and if this becomes a norm, with him being on the bench will not be much use to the team. If the choice is only one of the two, I choice the younger, cheaper Demko 

He looks to thrive and excel like the younger stars his age that will push each other competitively while having fun progressing

Demko has exceled at every level and now in the NHL playoffs at the most intense part of the season while under pressure in 3 must wins

• Upvote 1

Really though, Demko. You get him a solid 1b, which shouldn't be too hard considering there are plenty of goalies floating around this year, and insulate him the best you can by building a strong team up front. 

Marky's been amazing for us the last two seasons, and if Covid weren't putting a damper on the rising cap I'd likely argue keep both, but in the flat cap world Demko being cheap helps us more right now. 

Sooner or later we're gonna have to either move him out or run with him, let's run with him and see what he can do.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yes.

This was literally my same first thought when reading the title. :lol:

To be more serious, I want to be greedy and have both. I miss the days of two solid af goalies backing us through the year. Those lou/schneids years were great. As much as it turned into a "thing". I loved being just as confident about whoever was in net. 

I'm happy to bring Marky back at numbers that make sense for the Canucks. That said, Marky may not. And that's fair.

Honestly, if I was betting, I'd lean to him going elsewhere this offseason. Even if we're were to re-sign him, we're not protecting him for the ED. So is he gone then to Seattle? The year following as Demko takes over? 

At BEST (not taken by Seattle or traded soon after) he has 3 years transitioning from 50/30 game starter to 40/40 tandem to 30/50 backup.

Does he want to stay here THAT badly (and at a discount)...I doubt it.

I'm not sure. A lot depends on what happens with negotiations with Marky, as well as what trade value Demko might have gained by his playoff performance.

What I do -not- want to see is us solely going with Demko as our #1. Not yet. Yes those 3 games were massive. But it was just 3 games. Using that as a benchmark as to what we can expect from him as a starter next year is dangerous. This team must have stellar goaltending if we want to succeed, and for me that risk is too great. We would be better off signing Marky with exposure to the ED, then going with both until Marky is claimed. That gives us extra time to prepare Demko, and it also allows Vegas to use their selection on Marky instead of another player we may deem important.

This would, of course, require moving cap out but if Benning wants this team to continue in the right direction he kinda has to find a way to make that happen regardless.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

Demko is the next Carey Price in my opinion and people can quote me on that.   

Those 3 games against Vegas wasn’t just “a hot streak.”   The calm and poise he displayed in making those saves was the sign of a man that is headed for big things.

It was nice knowing you Marky.