The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom or Demko?

Rate this topic

Sedintwinpowersactivate

Markstrom or Demko?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I trust Ian Clarks advice to Benning.

If he thinks Demko is ready to take over and be no. 1 for the next 2 years I'll accept that. But if not, give Marky what he want but protect Demko.

With Marky we can reach play offs with our current team withoit any upgrade. If Demko needs a few years before he reach that level why rush him and put a lot of pressure on him now? 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I think Marky has a few good years left in him but he is on the wrong side of 30 and will be looking for a payday and rightfully so!! He deserves it!!

Demko has age on his side and is and will be much cheaper.He also proved he can handle the pressure of a starter in those 3 games in a row!!! I believe he is ready.

I hope the Canucks go with youth in net and spend the money on defense and bottom 6 where this team was clearly outmatched and need the help going forward into next season.

Edited by goog16

Depends a lot on what Marky wants and other planned moves this off season.

ideally both and continue to develop Demko as he hasn’t yet proven to be a starter.

if Markys demands are to high then we have to say goodbye but then will need a decent veteran and also need to move other pieces to improve the defence now as well.

so it’s not as simple as one or the other, as it will impact how to shape the team around them. 

Demko plus a 2-3 million back-up, one of Griess, Khudobin (who’s maybe pricing himself out), Talbot, Smith or my personal favourite of the group Elliot ....

It fits our cap structure better - allowing for a little extra next season.   To me this is both the least risky long term move and the one with the most reward.   It also means the Kraken won’t get either Markstrom or Demko.  

• Upvote 1

Markstrom came to NA in the 2010/11 season with Rochester. He played his first season of NHL #1 status in 2017/18, he played 60 games, he was 27 years old. When Markstrom was injured, Demko stepped in as the #1 and frankly did not shine. He's 25 now and in my mind you can't judge him by his play-off performance because it was short and does not replicate and actual season as a true #1 goalie. If the team expects to do well next season IMO they will need a true #1 and that is Markstrom, if however they are willing to use next season grooming Demko that's OK just don't expect to much. Will a lessor goalie impact the confidence of a young over all team ?? What's the plan Benning ????

7 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I trust Ian Clarks advice to Benning.

If he thinks Demko is ready to take over and be no. 1 for the next 2 years I'll accept that. But if not, give Marky what he want but protect Demko.

With Marky we can reach play offs with our current team withoit any upgrade. If Demko needs a few years before he reach that level why rush him and put a lot of pressure on him now? 

I'll support that... 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Demko plus a 2-3 million back-up, one of Griess, Khudobin (who’s maybe pricing himself out), Talbot, Smith or my personal favourite of the group Elliot ....

It fits our cap structure better - allowing for a little extra next season.   To me this is both the least risky long term move and the one with the most reward.   It also means the Kraken won’t get either Markstrom or Demko.  

That would probably be the one thing that could make me change my stance...

I'm a little concerned about just throwing Demko in at the deep despite his fantastic performance v Vegas... 

The last thing we need is to break him before he has really begun, but...... I would feel very uncomfortable seeing Marky at Kraken, especially should Demkos form dip during the season.... 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

That would probably be the one thing that could make me change my stance...

I'm a little concerned about just throwing Demko in at the deep despite his fantastic performance v Vegas... 

The last thing we need is to break him before he has really begun, but...... I would feel very uncomfortable seeing Marky at Kraken, especially should Demkos form dip during the season.... 

Me too.   Think the line in the sand form me with Markstrom would be both a NMC and a full NTC.  If he’s tradeable then 5.5x4 seem fair to me.   The calculator that factors everything in suggested 5.5 x 3 just before Covid during his MVP season...

Demko could also be traded which might be ok too.   But my given the cap world we live in now I’d take the lowest risk long term - which to me is sign a guy who can play 40 games too - and fortunately for us their are 4-5 available now - that will cost less then Markstroms current contract and post .910 or better numbers. 

• Upvote 1

I’m surprised by the results.  However I do think what Demko did in those 3 games was astonishing.  A small sample size for sure, but as Brian Burke says playoff games carry so much more weight.  3 games in the playoffs is like 15 in the regular season.  The fact that Markstrom is oft injured is also of concern.  That being said... I chose Markstrom.

He was a top 3 goalie in the league last season.  6 million is actually a steal if the term is not too long.  My only worry is that what Demko did In the playoffs was special and Markstrom was just ok in the playoffs.

Ideally sign Marky to a 6x5 with a no trade that doesn’t kick in until just before the expansion draft.  That protects him from Seattle but gives the Canucks more time to evaluate through an even split of games which goalie they think can win the cup with.  One stays and the other they move in a trade prior to the expansion draft.  At least the Canucks would get an asset for Marky if they choose Demko.  I’m sure Markstrom and his agent would want some control over where he is traded to.  Likely a limited no trade until the expansion draft and then a full no trade.  Given that Marky has only been good for about 1.5 years and Demko is still an unknown it seems fair to allow next year as an evaluation season.  Then again Markstrom may just give us the middle finger and walk as a UFA.  I do think he owes the Canucks for developing him as he was brutal in Florida.  Worst case scenario he walks as a UFA to Edmonton or Calgary and beats us consistently and Demko is the next Jim Carrey.  I’m glad I’m not Jim Benning!

I worry about late blooming goalies and how long they play well for. Marky has a few solid years under his belt but he's 30 now. He really didn't start to pick up his play until he was 27.

Demko was 24 this year with a December 8th birthday, he is young. Looking at his regular season numbers they can be improved for sure and getting his GAA down from 3.06 to 2.6 shouldn't be overly difficult. Especially with a bit more playing time Clark will be able to spot the holes in his game.

I chose to keep Demko. He is the future goaltender for the team, start the future today.

• Cheers 1

Next season? Markstrom.

Two seasons and onwards? Most likely Demko.

It's a tough call to make. I don't envy JB at all. As long as he doesn't give NMC to Marky, I'll be happy. If at the expansion draft, it turns out that we trade Demko, that's fine too. But it has to be by choice not because we are forced to. Giving NMC to Marky forces us into trading Demko, similar to being forced to trade Schneider. And you can rarely get a good return when you are forced to trade someone.

That's like asking me to pick which kid I love most.  Nope, can't do it.

Besides, it's not as simple as "pick one".  First thing is see what Marky agrees/doesn't agree to then you move past that.  One step at a time.  See what other moves are in the works and how they package up.

Demko was brilliant and it's no secret that we have (some of if not) the best goaltender coaching but it takes work to get there with consistency.  He has shown a flash of brilliance that is SO exciting but how will he react when this city starts to rip him apart if he struggles through periods (most do)?   Is he mentally there yet? 

Marky battled through some tough times and his mental game is very strong...he had the ability to put things past him and use them to propel him rather than beat him down.  I always thought that, after a bad goal or game that he'd bounce back and he usually did.  

I'm ok if we go with Demko....I think he's proven he's at that starting point now.  I'm just scared that some will set his bar at his playoff performance and that's so unrealistic and unsustainable.  So I hope that, if he is "the" guy, that people know that it averages out and he won't always be at that level of play.  And that it's ok.

Markstrom:

Is the better G now, but has had injuries in key times of the year due to being over worked. 

Will want to get paid, last chance at retirement $ and likely wants a NMC and or full NTC

Age: 30, but if he wants 5 years or more how good will his body hold up, will he stay as quick plus injuries...look at Luongo as he aged

Demko:

Younger, and will age better with our core. When he his late 20s our main core will be mid 20s to late 20s...much better combo than a mid 30s goalie in Marky

Cheaper, sign a good back up for 2 years and expose them to Seattle. Can lock up Demko with term next off season if he stands on his head and becomes a legit #1

Allows Canucks to spend some $ to improve the D more. No team can withstand the shot onslaught we have been accustom to seeing.

Is it a risk, sure it is...a risk to keep either. What we can't do is go into next off season with both and Marky having a NMC so he have to expose Demko, plus if marky is here how often do you really think Green will play Demko...he rode Marky to injury on 2 different occasions this past season. Maybe Demko gets 25-30 games max, which isn't an even split which would probably be needed to give the best gauge on Demko.

I am fine with signing Marky, but shorter term and NO NMC for expansion draft. If he signs, our D won't get better and we likely have less offense up front also.

I think the team needs to sign or find a good #3C who can contribute offensively but be a solid 2 way player who can play the PK. Add some grit in a depth F or D like Clifford or Bog/Borowiecki. We need to add some speed and I would seriously look at moving Pearson for someone like Miles Wood/J.Anderson/Jenner/Zacha. Maybe try to sign Haula as #3C, bring back Tanev and or look at trying to trade for Cernak/sign Demelo/hamonic/Barrie/Bogosian

Benning is rightly reluctant to let Markstrom go, but also is making it clear that he'll only go so far to keep him.  That seems like the right attitude to me.  With the input he'll have from Clark, I'm sure he'll know when to walk away. 

Personally, I don't expect the business side of things to work out with Markstrom but would like him to stay.  He's done a lot for our club, that's for sure.

Demko does not worry me as a starter.  Yes, he struggled a bit when Markstrom went down at the end of the regular season but righted the ship at the very end.  Clark seems to know how to handle him.  Mental strength is not an issue with Demko, but stamina may be.  There will be some growing pains but ultimately I think his ceiling is as high as Markstrom's, maybe a tad higher, and his age is the deciding factor.