The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The Mainstream Media (Curious to get everyone's take on this)

Tystick

[Poll] The Mainstream Media (Curious to get everyone's take on this)  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I meant the 'youtubers' not the platform. Those that do media like vids.

Wood is fine for a house if your builder is up to code. Go concrete for a condo.

I don't know that I trust any of them. I trust my own critical thinking skills. 

E.g., I enjoy Joe Rogan, but sometimes he doesn't really know what he's talking about. But other times he's excellent. Same with his guests. 

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

E.g., I enjoy Joe Rogan, but sometimes he doesn't really know what he's talking about. But other times he's excellent. Same with his guests. 

That was my point. 

That's why I phrased my question like the poll question. There are so many places to cross reference info. The internet is a giant verification machine if, as you say, you use some critical thinking. If some one hears something interesting from say CNN/Fox, head over to another outlet and see what they are saying. Pop on the internet and see what they are saying, end up here at cdc and post your opinion. :)

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That was my point. 

That's why I phrased my question like the poll question. There are so many places to cross reference info. The internet is a giant verification machine if, as you say, you use some critical thinking. If some one hears something interesting from say CNN/Fox, head over to another outlet and see what they are saying. Pop on the internet and see what they are saying, end up here at cdc and post your opinion. :)

we seem to be in a period where our trust is being broken down by many different factions. The earth is burning, no wait its just weather we need oil. Be scared of vaccinations, no wait ones coming in November. It feels like we are surrounded by sources trying to break down our trust, I'm assuming so we go to them to get the "truth".

Maybe this is why "alt" seems so attractive and trustworthy? or is it the alt media driving the distrust?

Frankly its all BS. Think for yourself kids. 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Vintage 1

Fact is, you have to listen to both the right and left media in order to draw a conclusive opinion that isn't dog $&!#. And there's a bunch of sheep on both sides that they easily flock toward one side with deluded narrow-minded perspectives. They try to pit one side against the other. There's no middle ground. It's all divisive grade A bull$&!#.

You just need to look at the Divided States of America in order to see how trash the media is overall.

I &^@#ing hate the media.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Robert Long said:

Thats what I love about Joe Rogan.  Sometimes I am listening and I am like "yea thats awesome, great conversation" then other times I am thinking "dude how hammered and high are you, you are making no damn sense"

Thank you everyone for voting.

I was simply curious about what others thought of the MSM at this time.

Perhaps I should have been more clear with what I meant by "Mainstream Media"

Simply put, the big news outlets we all trust or trusted at some point in time.

CNN, MSNBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, New York Times, etc.

The results are interesting to me so once again, thank you for voting ;)

12 hours ago, Russ said:

Thats what I love about Joe Rogan.  Sometimes I am listening and I am like "yea thats awesome, great conversation" then other times I am thinking "dude how hammered and high are you, you are making no damn sense"

thats true he might just be too baked sometimes :lol:

What I like about Rogan is he seems genuinely interested in a conversation, and is open to learning new things. It isn't all about some fire hose of BS to support some position you want to push. 

• Cheers 1

Interesting take on Fox News and Tucker Carlson, from a federal judge’s ruling:

This “general tenor” of the show should then inform a viewer that he is not “stating actual facts” about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in “exaggeration” and “non-literal commentary.” … Given Mr. Carlson’s reputation, any reasonable viewer ‘arrive with an appropriate amount of skepticism’ …”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/judge-rules-fox-news-tucker-carlson-not-source-of-news-defamation-suit-mcdougal-trump.html

So basically, Tucker can’t be guilty of defamation because no reasonable person would actually believe anything he says. :lol:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Don’t know why the pasted quote created strikethrough text. Must be some MSM conspiracy!
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

They're not exactly liars but they selectively choose on what to talk about. CNN does it all the time. As does Fox and so forth. CBC is not much different. 

No?

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/06/13/fox-news-removes-altered-photos-of-seattle-protest-zone/

If you can find digitally altered, misleading photos that CNN ran, I'd love to see them.

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No?

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/06/13/fox-news-removes-altered-photos-of-seattle-protest-zone/

If you can find digitally altered, misleading photos that CNN ran, I'd love to see them.

Well, Fox is largely bull$&!#, yes, I should retract that but media center and left is generally "honest" in that what they do report is accurate and well intentioned for the most part. But as I mentioned they often don't report things they should because they're in bed with big pharma, corporations, and their political representatives are too, which gives this notion they are dishonest. 

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

How so? I don't recall seeing any digitally altered photos of him on CNN....

No but it was certainly misleading.

To the point where the kid ended up with a big pay day from CNN.

Which I think is a big problem in many media outlets. Looking to get the views/clicks by any means necessary.

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

No but it was certainly misleading.

To the point where the kid ended up with a big pay day from CNN.

Which I think is a big problem in many media outlets. Looking to get the views/clicks by any means necessary.

How was it misleading?

The kid sued, because an ambulance chaser saw an opportunity and CNN didn't want the negative publicity of a court case. Other than that, the kid certainly was mocking the old guy....and then lied about it, saying he was "surprised"....

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

How was it misleading?

The kid sued, because an ambulance chaser saw an opportunity and CNN didn't want the negative publicity of a court case. Other than that, the kid certainly was mocking the old guy....and then lied about it, saying he was "surprised"....

The kid was standing there, while the other guy approached the group banging the drum.

All he did was smirk at him, but sure, the kid was mocking the man :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

The kid was standing there, while the other guy approached the group banging the drum.

All he did was smirk at him, but sure, the kid was mocking the man :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes and pretend you're "confused" all you like. The kid was mocking Mr. Phillips.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Roll your eyes and pretend you're "confused" all you like. The kid was mocking Mr. Phillips.

I don't buy it, but feel free to believe he did.

Media ran with it, and the kid was continuously slandered and had many threats made against him. 

All for a smirk, sure seems justified...

Point is, many of these media outlets from across the board will report something if it will bring in views, before they bother to get the full story.