The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The Mainstream Media (Curious to get everyone's take on this)

Tystick

[Poll] The Mainstream Media (Curious to get everyone's take on this)  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Master Mind said:

I don't buy it, but feel free to believe he did.

Media ran with it, and the kid was continuously slandered and had many threats made against him. 

All for a smirk, sure seems justified...

Point is, many of these media outlets from across the board will report something if it will bring in views, before they bother to get the full story. 

Maybe. But you still haven't shown me where their coverage of the incident was falsified, or doctored.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe. But you still haven't shown me where their coverage of the incident was falsified, or doctored.

They did a number on that kid with their misleading reporting.

You seem to think it wasn't misleading, which tells me either you haven't looked into the full story and heard his side, or we have a very different set of values, or both.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

They did a number on that kid with their misleading reporting.

You seem to think it wasn't misleading, which tells me either you haven't looked into the full story and heard his side, or we have a very different set of values, or both.

So tell me: What was "misleading" about the CNN story? What did they say that was incorrect?

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So tell me: What was "misleading" about the CNN story? What did they say that was incorrect?

Just look up Covington kid CNN.

It's fairly obvious they painted him in a negative light, before all the information came out. They knew they were in the wrong, and settled. Their reporting (along with several others) led to plenty of hate and threats towards the kid.

If you don't see that, I would think bias (either for CNN, or against the kid) is clouding your judgement.

On 9/20/2020 at 7:27 AM, Robert Long said:

thats true he might just be too baked sometimes :lol:

What I like about Rogan is he seems genuinely interested in a conversation, and is open to learning new things. It isn't all about some fire hose of BS to support some position you want to push. 

I also like that he frequently admits to not knowing those things.

...And that he has a &^@#ing sense of humour :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

CNN had to pay the kid around $275 Million (rumoured) for that video.  I'm pretty sure the story CNN ran was out of context.  Either way they ruined a minors reputation by taking a video of him out of context, and airing it.  They had to something wrong considering they had to pay the kid a hefty settlement.

Edited by BoKnows
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Just look up Covington kid CNN.

It's fairly obvious they painted him in a negative light, before all the information came out. They knew they were in the wrong, and settled. Their reporting (along with several others) led to plenty of hate and threats towards the kid.

If you don't see that, I would think bias (either for CNN, or against the kid) is clouding your judgement.

I'm not doing your work for you, so tell me, what did CNN write that was incorrect, or altered, as the photo from Fox News was?

6 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

CNN had to pay the kid around $275 Million (rumoured) for that video.  I'm pretty sure the story CNN ran was out of context.  Either way they ruined a minors reputation by taking a video of him out of context, and airing it.  They had to something wrong considering they had to pay the kid a hefty settlement.

Settled out of court. They would have gone through the case if the money had been anywhere near that much.

Out of context? Okay....are you saying it was their fault that video didn't include the black guys hassling the kids beforehand? If so, I disagree.

The video that they showed happened. The kid was mocking Nathan Phillips. The fact that CNN settled out of court rather than go through a long and messy court case doesn't change this fact.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm not doing your work for you, so tell me, what did CNN write that was incorrect, or altered, as the photo from Fox News was?

You've openly said you don't click links other people post, so I'm not going to send you any links.

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The kid was mocking Nathan Phillips. The fact that CNN settled out of court rather than go through a long and messy court case doesn't change this fact.

The fact that you continue to say the kid was mocking him is evidence that their misleading story can sway someone's opinion.

Standing there with a smirk is mocking a man? No, it's not, and it's most certainly not worth all the vitriol the kid got as a result.

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

You've openly said you don't click links other people post, so I'm not going to send you any links.

The fact that you continue to say the kid was mocking him is evidence that their misleading story can sway someone's opinion.

Standing there with a smirk is mocking a man? No, it's not, and it's most certainly not worth all the vitriol the kid got as a result.

I've never said that. I don't watch videos....link away....

Meanwhile, I'll provide a link of my own: https://lawandcrime.com/media/some-lawyers-think-covington-catholics-nick-sandmann-walked-away-from-media-lawsuits-with-peanuts/

Here’s the analysis which is being cited favorably by Zaid, Moss, and others on legal Twitter.  It ends (TL/DR) with a supposition — an opinion — that Sandmann may have ended up with a ballpark guess of about $50,000.  That’s a far cry from his original asking price of $250 million.

When asked about the thread, Lin Wood, an attorney for Sandmann, told Law&Crime he made it his “practice not to respond to uninformed, errant nonsense.”  He noted that the settlement was confidential and that he could not comment on it, but said “questions about confidentiality and the timing of the settlement will have to be directed to others.”

The Twitter thread in question posits that though a judge tossed most of Sandmann’s case, the few remaining claims that remained would not have survived discovery.  But since the claims were allowed to remain alive, it would have cost $200,000 or so to defend them.  That’s why an insurance carrier, in this supposed version of events, probably threw a lowball offer to prevent spending even more to get the entire case tossed.  In other words, the settlement was a business decision that had nothing to do with the merits of Sandmann’s case. 

My guess is that the 50k number is about right and it's why you haven't seen any photos of him partying in his new yacht, or relaxing by pool in his new mansion.

Most likely his settlement all went to tuition at Holy Cross, or Liberty University.....

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I also like that he frequently admits to not knowing those things.

...And that he has a &^@#ing sense of humour :lol:

its a good place to hear ideas from people you don't like or agree with unfiltered. Lets you judge for yourself vs the uber-filtered social media. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Settled out of court. They would have gone through the case if the money had been anywhere near that much.

Out of context? Okay....are you saying it was their fault that video didn't include the black guys hassling the kids beforehand? If so, I disagree.

The video that they showed happened. The kid was mocking Nathan Phillips. The fact that CNN settled out of court rather than go through a long and messy court case doesn't change this fact.

The fact that CNN had to settle at all should tell you that it wasn't fair reporting.

Due to a recent convo I had with you, you should agree that it was an edited video, and that it was taking out of context.

I'm just surprised that you're siding with a conglomerate that ruined a minors life before he had a chance to even start it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

The fact that CNN had to settle at all should tell you that it wasn't fair reporting.

Due to a recent convo I had with you, you should agree that it was an edited video, and that it was taking out of context.

I'm just surprised that you're siding with a conglomerate that ruined a minors life before he had a chance to even start it.

You must have missed this bit that I posted in regards to the settlement:

though a judge tossed most of Sandmann’s case, the few remaining claims that remained would not have survived discovery.  But since the claims were allowed to remain alive, it would have cost $200,000 or so to defend them.  That’s why an insurance carrier, in this supposed version of events, probably threw a lowball offer to prevent spending even more to get the entire case tossed.  In other words, the settlement was a business decision that had nothing to do with the merits of Sandmann’s case. 

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You must have missed this bit that I posted in regards to the settlement:

though a judge tossed most of Sandmann’s case, the few remaining claims that remained would not have survived discovery.  But since the claims were allowed to remain alive, it would have cost $200,000 or so to defend them.  That’s why an insurance carrier, in this supposed version of events, probably threw a lowball offer to prevent spending even more to get the entire case tossed.  In other words, the settlement was a business decision that had nothing to do with the merits of Sandmann’s case. 

I did miss that, I'll claim checkmate.

On 9/19/2020 at 12:34 PM, Warhippy said:

Most mainstream media in north america is owned by 3 separate entities.  post media, murdoch group, Sinclair's.  they are predominantly and openly right wing.  When people whine about fake news, or mom they usually tend to be on the right wing 

the irony of this is not lost on people paying attention.

news reports what is a current fact, they almost all literally report the exact same things.  there's no real bias at all unless its an opinion piece or columnist.  That's when things get ugly.

BLM, Climate, COVID, all of that and more dominates every media outlet, even this site‘S banners, and none of that seems to serve a conservative/Right Wing narrative.  

The owners of the media might have conservative values for themselves and their kind, but promote the opposite for everyone else.

I like this montage.

If anybody still believes in what they see or hear from this propaganda machine after watching this scripted response to the public waking up to the scam, then maybe it’s time for some Yuri to drive home the message about subversion. 

There are lots of these videos floating around, but they are being censored  and systematically being removed, apparently by Right Wingers, you know the values of free speech, less government and less censorship... sure. :rolleyes:

• Cheers 2