The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson was the Canucks’ least engaged and productive forward of the 2020 playoffs. He’s signed for another two seasons - @CambieKev

Rate this topic

TrickOfShapes

5 hours ago, BCNate said:

Wow, I didn't already know.

I think many on this board still think he is not among our worst performers.  Still think he is a great defensive player. Never understood why some equate anonymous posters on a message board thinking LE would be great with the Sedins, with a GM having no choice but to think the same.  JB is paid the big bucks to know more than us.  He has his scouts, his people that study players and have access to more information than we do.  Of course JB had even an extra advantage in watching LE play in Boston. The puck stops with Benning.

3 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Is he overpaid? Yes. Is he completely and utterly useless? No. If he is making league minimum, everyone would love Loui. On another note, everyone loves Tyler Motte (I love Motte as well), but if Motte makes $6 million, Motte would be a whipping boy as well for the fan base. Unfortunately, in a cap world, overpaid players (on any team) just becomes that fanbase favourite whipping boy.

Really?  Motte completely outshone him. I'd way rather it was Motte that was taking 12 mill off the cap in the next two years.  He is way more useful to the team.  Even at league minimum you want players to not shy away from engaging with the opposition, of being no threat in any way.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Eriksson has the wheels to avoid delivering hits at a rate above virtually every other forward in the league who played at least 20 games!

On a nearly conference final level team, Eriksson was amongst the most responsible in ensuring his shifts remained short and the team could roll their other, more effectively lines.

A consumate team-mate and model of consistency, Eriksson’s effort level never wavered, whether he was in the press box, on the ice, or partaking in his pre-game nap routine.

JP Barry - is that you?

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think many on this board still think he is not among our worst performers.  Still think he is a great defensive player. Never understood why some equate anonymous posters on a message board thinking LE would be great with the Sedins, with a GM having no choice but to think the same.  JB is paid the big bucks to know more than us.  He has his scouts, his people that study players and have access to more information than we do.  Of course JB had even an extra advantage in watching LE play in Boston. The puck stops with Benning.

Really?  Motte completely outshone him. I'd way rather it was Motte that was taking 12 mill off the cap in the next two years.  He is way more useful to the team.  Even at league minimum you want players to not shy away from engaging with the opposition, of being no threat in any way.

At the time LE signed he was 31 coming off a 30 goal 60 point season, and was better defensively and on the PK that he is now.  He got a fair deal for where he was at when he signed, knowing that it may look bad in the last year or 2.  I don't think anyone, fans and JB included, expected of saw his play falling off the way it did.  Take a look at the thread when we signed him.  Everyone was super stoked.  Scouts get it wrong all the time, that's how we ended up with EP and Hughes.  My issue isn't with JB or the deal, it's with the player who sh** the bed once he got paid. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, BCNate said:

At the time LE signed he was 31 coming off a 30 goal 60 point season, and was better defensively and on the PK that he is now.  He got a fair deal for where he was at when he signed, knowing that it may look bad in the last year or 2.  I don't think anyone, fans and JB included, expected of saw his play falling off the way it did.  Take a look at the thread when we signed him.  Everyone was super stoked.  Scouts get it wrong all the time, that's how we ended up with EP and Hughes.  My issue isn't with JB or the deal, it's with the player who sh** the bed once he got paid. 

Yes, I agree that its mostly on Loui.  Even Loui did not foresee, or want, his point production to go off a cliff I'm sure. But I also think he has not pushed himself enough in other areas to make up for that loss.  He is not, contrary to popular opinion, a great defensive player. He was 12 on the team, middle of the pack, at +/- .  Even MacEwen was 7 spots higher.  (And last season, with more ice time, he was a disaster at 33rd on the roster with a -11)  So yeah he left a big coiler on the bed.

But it is also on the GM that signed him to a degree. JB saw him play in Boston. Was there no signs or indications he was sliding in the last half of his last season there?  Hockey execs , usually ex players, should have a keener eye, and have more investigative resources available, than we do.  I don't think you can totally let the GM off the hook for signing him, and for that kind of commitment, you have to turn over every stone before you offer 6 x 6.

Edited by kilgore

Just now, kilgore said:

Yes, I agree that its mostly on Loui.  Even Loui did not foresee, or want, his point production to go off a cliff I'm sure. But I also think he has not pushed himself enough in other areas to make up for that loss.  He is not, contrary to popular opinion, a great defensive player. He was 12 on the team, middle of the pack, at +/- .  Even MacEwen was 7 spots higher.  So yeah he left a big coiler on the bed.

But it is also on the GM that signed him to a degree. JB saw him play in Boston. Was there no signs or indications he was sliding in the last half of his last season there?  Hockey execs , usually ex players, should have a keener eye, and have more investigative resources available, than we do.  I don't think you can totally let the GM off the hook for signing him, and for that kind of commitment, you have to turn over every stone before you offer 6 x 6.

I'm not arguing, but no GM is right 100% of the time.  That is why there are draft busts, and why almost every team in the league has an anchor of a contract.  Benning is no exception, he does not have a crystal ball.

+/- isn't the best of stats, but -2 is fine when you start in your own end 63% of the time. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'm not arguing, but no GM is right 100% of the time.  That is why there are draft busts, and why almost every team in the league has an anchor of a contract.  Benning is no exception, he does not have a crystal ball.

+/- isn't the best of stats, but -2 is fine when you start in your own end 63% of the time. 

The season before that he was -11.   Overall he is at a - 5.5 average for his time here so far. No its not all about +/- but I don't see much from the eye test either.

But we agree that he has underperfomed.

I know no GM is right 100%.  That's why I used the "to a degree" as far as blame.  But I am always gobsmacked that CDCers think that because WE didn't foresee Loui's decline, we should excuse JB as being also just surprised and unaware. He has the experience, the full time staff, the resources to make sure its the right deal, especially for such a large chunk of the cap. And even if Loui fooled everyone, and JB was just as much in the dark as some hockey dweeb praising the deal from his mother's basement, the puck still must stop at his desk. He still is ultimately responsible. 

Just now, kilgore said:

The season before that he was -11.   Overall he is at a - 5.5 average for his time here so far. No its not all about +/- but I don't see much from the eye test either.

But we agree that he has underperfomed.

I know no GM is right 100%.  That's why I used the "to a degree" as far as blame.  But I am always gobsmacked that CDCers think that because WE didn't foresee Loui's decline, we should excuse JB as being also just surprised and unaware. He has the experience, the full time staff, the resources to make sure its the right deal, especially for such a large chunk of the cap. And even if Loui fooled everyone, and JB was just as much in the dark as some hockey dweeb praising the deal from his mother's basement, the puck still must stop at his desk. He still is ultimately responsible. 

In a silo, yes it's on him, he signed the deal.  Benning's overall body of work has been very impressive here, especially the past two years.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he does this summer.

• Cheers 1

He’s signed for another 2 years though when did this happen?

Didn’t even read it. Canucks army is brutal. 

@debluvscanucks made some good points. He’s not completely useless. He can play if in the right spot. I think he’s done on this team though if not on paper. 

I sometimes wonder if he didn’t score on his own net in his first game as a Canuck  that it would have been a different outcome. At least his first couple seasons here. Decline is inevitable but he never really showed offensive confidence from the start 

11 hours ago, kilgore said:

Well, Loui was missed against Vegas. 

When he plays his linemates get the chance to play as they want. As Horvat said himself. 

It's odd but it's also a fact. Horvat suffers when he has to play more defensively. 

You need different types of player on the ice. 

If we go deeper into this it was Benning who signed him. Green that adapts a strategy that makes Loui redundant.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

10 hours ago, kilgore said:

Yes, I agree that its mostly on Loui.  Even Loui did not foresee, or want, his point production to go off a cliff I'm sure. But I also think he has not pushed himself enough in other areas to make up for that loss.  He is not, contrary to popular opinion, a great defensive player. He was 12 on the team, middle of the pack, at +/- .  Even MacEwen was 7 spots higher.  (And last season, with more ice time, he was a disaster at 33rd on the roster with a -11)  So yeah he left a big coiler on the bed.

Why bring up MacEven? He didn't know how to position himself in the playoffs when the going got tougher. 

So Loui and MacEwen is on different levels. Salary wise it's too many levels above but still... Loui is better than MacEwen for now. 

25 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Why bring up MacEven? He didn't know how to position himself in the playoffs when the going got tougher. 

So Loui and MacEwen is on different levels. Salary wise it's too many levels above but still... Loui is better than MacEwen for now. 

MacEwen at least puts in a legitimate effort, and doesn't whine about the coach when he isn't gifted top 6 minutes despite playing like absolute trash.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

When he plays his linemates get the chance to play as they want. As Horvat said himself. 

It's odd but it's also a fact. Horvat suffers when he has to play more defensively. 

If we go deeper into this it was Benning who signed him. Green that adapts a strategy that makes Loui redundant.

Guys, this is the attitude we all need if we're gonna will Eriksson into a trade. COme on!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

It's also certainly Travis Green's fault that Loui Eriksson was outpaced by Baer, Markus Granlund & Brandon Sutter while playing pisspoor hockey under Willie Desjardins right? He just needs a change of scenery!