The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks will not retain $ or add a sweetener for Loui to be moved

EP40.

1 minute ago, x00x said:

with this atttitude, no team will want lou , u have to sweeten the deal or why would any GM want lou, JB come on bro

Got no draft pick assets this year and I think he'll want to weaponize his 1st next year for help. If it took a first round pick to dump the marleau contract, it will at least take that for Loui. Personally I can't see them giving up picks, we need another top end talent in the cupboards and a first round pick is close to a sure fire way to address that need.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Dhaliwal  trolling trying to incite Canucks fans......what a shock!

I don’t understand why people think Rick is not a trustworthy insider anymore when he reports on bad news for the team. He literally has contacts and gets in touch with them that no others in the business do. It’s coming from Eriksson’s agent having spoken with him.

Don’t get this at all. Good news = he’s great. Bad news = he’s a troll. Pick one b/c imo, he’s doing the same as he’s always done and he’s respected among all his peers for it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Got no draft pick assets this year and I think he'll want to weaponize his 1st next year for help. If it took a first round pick to dump the marleau contract, it will at least take that for Loui. Personally I can't see them giving up picks, we need another top end talent in the cupboards and a first round pick is close to a sure fire way to address that need.

Lots of fringe or good players that could be useful to other teams though.  If the Canucks had to lose a mid-level player to get rid of LE, they take it and shore up the D.

With the expansion draft coming, I can see Demko being a key piece in getting rid of LE.  They'll have to get Marky under contract first though and then make it through free agency to see which teams are left without one of the big goalies.  

6 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I'd rather keep assets than give them away to get rid of Eriksson if the cost is high. Not a big deal a lot of teams deal with internal caps. We can survive a few years more of Eriksson. Or just send him to the minors let him ride a bus for a few years.

At the expense of the Canucks window to win now before major extension will kick in, sure.

And not like Sutter is the only bad apple contract. He’s the cherry on top with a lot of other overpaid, compounded deals which have the team struggling to decide what they can/can’t do leading to this current state.

Yeah that's probably cuz they'd be ok with taking back another comparable bad contract. Maybe a change of scenery would do Loui and whomever he could/might get traded for will serve them well. I'd be ok with it as long as it's not longer term or more money on the contract. Ultimately even more money left on the contract would be ok if the other team retains or adds assets to offset the difference. I personally would not be ok with getting back a bad contract with longer term than Loui's.

2 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Demko is a no deal for me, I will not give him up if I were Jimbo. Horvat, Miller, Hughes, Pettersson and Demko are and should be untouchables.

As for our prospects, teams will likely ask for Podkolzin or Hoglander as a sweetener for taking on the LE contract. Again, I wouldn't do that deal in a million years.

I would normally agree with you but JB will lose either Marky or Demko in the next year for nothing otherwise.  He can't get anything for Marky now and Marky got them to the dance.  He either pays him or loses the team MVP.  Tough situation.

23 minutes ago, EP40. said:

Rick Dhaliwal on TSN1040: “Here’s an update on Loui Eriksson - no trade. What a shock. JP Barry is not a miracle worker, he’s not Houdini. Jim Benning has been trying to move him for 2+ years. The Canucks won’t pick up any part of the cap hit or add a sweetener.”

...this is why we may lose Tanev or/and Marky both to Free Agency. 

IF it is true , then it is terrible.  I think it is equally likely that this is the messaging the team has been giving his agent to try to force a retirement.  Loui and his agent keep talking about Eriksson being a good NHLer still... this might be some stark reality for them.

I don’t know that there is any world that Eriksson retires early enough for us to take advantage of his cap hit.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, EP40. said:

At the expense of the Canucks window to win now before major extension will kick in, sure.

And not like Sutter is the only bad apple contract. He’s the cherry on top with a lot of other overpaid, compounded deals which have the team struggling to decide what they can/can’t do leading to this current state.

I'd rather use any picks or prospects to pick up a dman in a trade than use them to lose Eriksson. The cap space isn't really an issue especially if Markstrom walks.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1