The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) (Signings) Proposal

A few thoughts...

As much as I’d love to see Markstrom sign, I just don’t think what we should be offering is what he should take when it comes to his financial future. He deserves a five year deal where he controls his future (NMC). We can’t give that to him. 

Let Markstom walk and trade Eriksson for Lundqvist who has one year left at 8.5M I believe. Lundqvist can share the load with Demko.

While I do love Brock, I don’t actually see him becoming the player that warrants his 7.5M + bump that will kick in after his current contract ends. Getting ahead of foreseeable things like this is what hat will help us in the future.

Trade Boeser for Ekblad, he is still in his prime and his concussion issues are far behind him.

Sign Toffoli 

Sign Tanev

Dont qualify Stetcher but try to sign him as a UFA for less than his arb rights.

Not a cap guy but I believe this all works and after a bottom six tweak or two I think that is a pretty competitive team with a solid defense, and a great top six, minus Boeser, someone will need to step and seize a spot on the second line with Horvat and Pearson.

Im ready to take my lashes now CDC, flame away.

• Haha 1

I agree about Markstrom. I think when it comes down to it, Marky deserves to be rewarded after the season(s) he had, but I don't know if Benning can afford to pay him what he deserves, or give him term. Benning already basically mentioned that Demko is the goalie of the future, I think they get Demko a veteran backup. Not sure it'll be Lundqvist, that seems like kind of a luxury they can't afford. Maybe Crawford or Dubnyk? 

I think:

- Toffoli, Tanev, Leivo and Fantenberg get re-signed

- Virtanen and Stecher are re-signed and traded. (Eriksson, Sutter and Benn (and picks/prospects?) included in the 2 trades)

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Leivo - Gaudette - MacEwen

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

Lind

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Juolevi - ??

Fantenberg

Rafferty

Chatfield

Demko

??

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Trade Markstrom and Tanev negotiating rights, resign Toffoli, Motte, Gaudette and Fantanberg for 1 year and then trade Stetcher and Virtanen as part of a package to get a top 3 defenseman from a team trying to slash payroll like Arizona with OEL and could possibly also get one of their goalies traded with OEL to backup Demko. 

On 9/24/2020 at 10:51 AM, Vanisleryan said:

A few thoughts...

As much as I’d love to see Markstrom sign, I just don’t think what we should be offering is what he should take when it comes to his financial future. He deserves a five year deal where he controls his future (NMC). We can’t give that to him. 

Let Markstom walk and trade Eriksson for Lundqvist who has one year left at 8.5M I believe. Lundqvist can share the load with Demko.

While I do love Brock, I don’t actually see him becoming the player that warrants his 7.5M + bump that will kick in after his current contract ends. Getting ahead of foreseeable things like this is what hat will help us in the future.

Trade Boeser for Ekblad, he is still in his prime and his concussion issues are far behind him.

Sign Toffoli 

Sign Tanev

Dont qualify Stetcher but try to sign him as a UFA for less than his arb rights.

Not a cap guy but I believe this all works and after a bottom six tweak or two I think that is a pretty competitive team with a solid defense, and a great top six, minus Boeser, someone will need to step and seize a spot on the second line with Horvat and Pearson.

Im ready to take my lashes now CDC, flame away.

I like your concept of trading an overpriced player for an overpriced back-up, but I’d rather do Sutter for Dubynk as I think it would be more realistic.   I don’t think anyone will touch that Eriksson contract with a 10 foot pole unless the sweetener was one of Demko, Podkolzin, or a 2021 1st.  

I am FIRMLY of the opinion that our off-season should revolve around the following:

1) Trading Sutter for Dubynk so that we can walk from Markstrom.  

2) Boeser for Carlo OR Boeser++ for Ekblad, which would allow us to walk from Tanev.

3) Signing Toffoli and all of our RFA’s except for Stecher.  Stecher can stay if he is willing to sign below 2.5 million AND if we can find a suitor for Benn with zero retention.

4) Walking from Leivo and LTIR’ing Ferland. 

5) Buying out Baertschi.  

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli 

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind

Hughes-Carlo

Edler-Myers

Juolevi-[Benn or Stecher]

Rafferty

Demko

Dubynk

Bring in another vet on a one year deal if there’s enough cap space.

Edited by DarkIndianRises