The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Bobby Ryan

goalie13

Just now, mll said:

A buyout will save them 3.67M.  Instead of still owing him 13M they'll owe him 9.33M.   (It was 15M but guessing that this coming season's 2M signing bonus was already paid in July).  

I hope he lands somewhere decent, guys worked out a lot of demons. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Guys on 650 were talking about a potential LE to Ottawa scenario opening up to get them at the floor and less to pay out. They were sitting at 41M with Bobby Ryan before this!

Jake and LE was brought up. Makes sense. Jake is young, won’t cost more than 2.5-3M and LE’s salaries mostly paid out. 

Do it Jimbo!

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Guys on 650 were talking about a potential LE to Ottawa scenario opening up to get them at the floor and less to pay out. They were sitting at 41M with Bobby Ryan before this!

Jake and LE was brought up. Makes sense. Jake is young, won’t cost more than 2.5-3M and LE’s salaries mostly paid out. 

Do it Jimbo!

Doesn't seem plausible if the aim is to save money.  Eriksson costs 5M still.  They are only saving 3.67M by buying out Ryan.  

i.e. buying out Ryan + adding Eriksson is more than simply keeping Ryan.  

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately I expected this quite some time ago but I don't think, due to the CBA, that a team is actually allowed to take these actions with a player in the 'substance abuse/behavioral health program'.  Even if they were, it would've been very bad optics for the franchise and I'm glad they didn't. 

I hope after this process is done that this individual can find a place to start over and get back to as close as he can to the player he once was and live a healthy/productive life on/off the ice. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Do it Jimbo!

I would do LE and Jake for cap room, no problem. Getter done.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Doesn't seem plausible if the aim is to save money.  Eriksson costs 5M still.  They are only saving 3.67M by buying out Ryan.  

Even if we retain some salary, it could make sense.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

it does if Melnk is trying to save money this year and thats his focus. We don't know what kind of shape his businesses are in, he might be thinking about just getting out of this year and it wouldn't surprise me if he puts the team on the block next year. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Even if we retain some salary, it could make sense.

I wonder if Ottawa is not more looking to complete their roster with good players.  It's not really possible to draft a whole team.  With teams caught at the cap or having budget constraints there could be some pretty good players available this year.  Will be interesting to see what they do.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

I wonder if Ottawa is not more looking to complete their roster with good players.  It's not really possible to draft a whole team.  With teams caught at the cap or having budget constraints there could be some pretty good players available this year.  Will be interesting to see what they do.  

Their roster is pretty barren alright, so they could certainly be a player in taking on other team's contracts, including those of decent players.

#allthepicks