The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where to find good older movies

ABNuck

So I've been hunting around the internet to find a streaming service that has good older movies (90's...early 200's etc). Many topics pop up that list what they deem as decent sites but when I go to those sites I see nothing but a bunch of C movies, and one channel actually had an amazing array of rip-off titles to similar titled A movies (for example the cover of one movie had a woman dressed up very much like Lara Croft, the title of the movie was "Tomb Invaders"...I kid you not...many, many others like that ie/ Triassic Park...I ain't makin' this crap up). So I'm guessing those site reviewers were paid to direct traffic to them.

Anyways, I've tried POPCORNFLIX and TUBI.TV and neither had any of the "test" movies I plugged in. I searched for 3 basic titles that were basically "B" quality movies (Police Academy, Major League and Planet of the Apes - the Mark Wahlberg one) and each movie site returned "0 results". So if they don't even have any decent "B" movies, I'm guessing that they don't have any of the better movies from that time period (ie/ Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, Big Lebowski etc). Netflix and Prime (which I already pay for) are garbage...you can run through their available decent quality movies in about 4 Friday nights.

So does anyone know of any streaming provider that actually DOES carry a decent selection of old titles? I'll even pay (subscription or user fee based). Man, do I miss Blockbuster...

Thanks folks...I tried kanopy...my local library (Red Deer...a city of 100,000) doesn't subscribe, so I can't even access the service and search to see what their content holds. And as for Hoopla, well I typed in just 2 movies - Forrest Gump and Reservoir Dogs - No Results found...so that particular service doesn't have the 90's - 2000's movies either.

Thanks for trying anyways.

Just an entrepreneurial thought here...why didn't Blockbuster go online streaming?

I didn't know that movies from the 1990s and 2000s were older movies.  Gosh, I watch movies from the 1980s.  If you have a streaming service, I would check on there.  You just made me think of where I can find Sea Hunt.  Sea Hunt was a TV program from the late 1950s.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, brilac said:

I didn't know that movies from the 1990s and 2000s were older movies.  Gosh, I watch movies from the 1980s.  If you have a streaming service, I would check on there.  You just made me think of where I can find Sea Hunt.  Sea Hunt was a TV program from the late 1950s.  

i can give you a streaming site, just need to get ad blocker in extensions.

• Thanks 1

Can't really just pick a couple movies and see who has it. Only 1 service will usually have a certain movie at a certain time.

But if you really want movie selection, pay a bit extra with Prime, and get a "channel" for an extra $3.99/month. The MGM channel will give you Terminator, Silence of the Lambs, Rocky (all 5), a bunch of Eastwood & Bronson action movies, Stargate, Fargo Dances With Wolves, a bunch of the Woody Allen catalogue...there's tons on there. And after a few months of one channel, when you saw everything you wanted to see, cancel it and add a different channel.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, brilac said:

The generational gap is evident here.  To me, older movies are from the 1930's,1940's,1950's, 1960's and 1970's.  But then I am over 60.    Its funny, people born right now will consider movies from the 2000's and 2010's as "older movies"

If you have cable, TCM show movies from the 1930's to 1980's.   For 1990's, the REWIND channel show movies from that decade.

Streaming is rather limited for older movies.   Like the other person say, try MGM.   For older TV shows, try CBS All Access.  They have classics like I love Lucy, Hawaii 5-0, and newer shows like CIS. NCIS, Survivor. Steve Colbert.

As for Sea Hunt, you can find it on YouTube.

9 hours ago, DonLever said:

The generational gap is evident here.  To me, older movies are from the 1930's,1940's,1950's, 1960's and 1970's.  But then I am over 60.    Its funny, people born right now will consider movies from the 2000's and 2010's as "older movies"

If you have cable, TCM show movies from the 1930's to 1980's.   For 1990's, the REWIND channel show movies from that decade.

Streaming is rather limited for older movies.   Like the other person say, try MGM.   For older TV shows, try CBS All Access.  They have classics like I love Lucy, Hawaii 5-0, and newer shows like CIS. NCIS, Survivor. Steve Colbert.

As for Sea Hunt, you can find it on YouTube.

I'm 53, so older movies to me are 1969 and older. Yes when I hear someone say "Raiders of the Lost Ark" that movie is so old!" I cringe. Yet it is almost 40 years old.

13 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Thanks folks...I tried kanopy...my local library (Red Deer...a city of 100,000) doesn't subscribe, so I can't even access the service and search to see what their content holds. And as for Hoopla, well I typed in just 2 movies - Forrest Gump and Reservoir Dogs - No Results found...so that particular service doesn't have the 90's - 2000's movies either.

Thanks for trying anyways.

Just an entrepreneurial thought here...why didn't Blockbuster go online streaming?

have you tried getting one of these: https://thealbertalibrary.ca/services/tal-card

maybe you can get access that way 

kodi media center is your friend. its free to download then install the exodus redux add on and you are good to go. anything you want all you have to do is type in the title in the search box. i'm using it to stream the new season of the boys this weekend, great series for those of you who havent seen it.

Edited by Nucksfollower1983