The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was the worst thing of the 2019-2020 season?

Rate this topic

The Colt 45s

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

The looming Canuck curse happens

• Flat Cap due to Covid
  • Luongo recapture penalty still in the books
  • Seattle Expansion draft

All came in a perfect storm for Vancouver to have a hard time re-signing, extending, and signing players. 

Sucks for sure.   But at least it sucks equally (well ok Luongo blows) for all teams.   Looking at TB they are really in the mud with Sergachev and Cernak to re-up, and nobody to trade except Kilorn to help with that - and he’s a cap dump do sure with a modified NTC.   Plus IF they manage to sign both Cernak and Sergachev then they will likely have to choose one of them to trade as they then stand to lose one for nothing to Seattle (it’s possible they expose McDonagh but whether Seattle takes him at almost 7 per is another matter).    Can’t feel sorry for them given they might or probably will win the cup WITHOUT Stamkos...but it sure could be a lot worse for us.

Reminds me of Wilson saying “if you don’t have cap problems your not trying hard enough”.   Can say JB has tried hard enough but could try harder too ha ha. 

And if without Covid  and TT we really don’t have much cap issues.   JB said we don’t.    What he does this year and next off-season will both become his legacy and set most of our core in place for the next decade or so.   Love this new core - special things are for sure coming in our future.   

Id either sign TT and Tanev or sign JM and let the rest go and start working on our D.   Team needs a one year re-set.   

• Vintage 1

. Final nail for Jake.  We were all hoping that when push came to shove, the playoffs, he'd start to push and shove more.

. Gaudette's invisibility in the playoffs. This one is a puzzler. Maybe a nagging injury?

- Our crippling inability to simply move the puck out of our D zone at times. Especially true against Vegas. Hard to remember another team that is so guilty of fighting to  get the puck possession back and then, sometimes even directly, just giving it back to the opposition.  Way too many times. The defensive strategies Baumgartner coaches is not working.  

- Letting go of Judd Brackett.  The amateur scouting chief that was at the helm when drafting Petey and Hughes explicitly removed from the management team for petty reasons

- Not sighing Tryamkin for next season.  At worst he is average in skill. But add to that his reach, and his intimidating size, and skating ability, he could have been a cheaper version of Myers2.0, but even bigger by 34 lbs. (NHL.com).  Wouldn't have been a big hit on our cap problems.

- Loui Loui Loui Louieeeeee,   Loui Loui Loui Louaaaaaaah!!!!.   Not retiring.  I hope JB has the balls to send him down to Utica to ride busses.

Edited by kilgore

On 9/27/2020 at 10:37 AM, 73 Percent said:

In no specific order

Loui being loui

Ferland being as rugged as glass

The power play inconsistency (1st unit drop pass zone entries)

Gaudettes playoff performance

DROP PASSES ARE AN EFFECTIVE WAY TO GAIN ENTRY INTO THE ZONE WITH POSSESSION WHEN THE OTHER TEAM IS TRAPPING AT THE BLUE LINE AS ALL TEAMS DO ON THE PK ALSO WE HAD THE 4TH RANKED PP

RESPECT THE DROP PASS

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

DROP PASSES ARE AN EFFECTIVE WAY TO GAIN ENTRY INTO THE ZONE WITH POSSESSION WHEN THE OTHER TEAM IS TRAPPING AT THE BLUE LINE AS ALL TEAMS DO ON THE PK ALSO WE HAD THE 4TH RANKED PP

RESPECT THE DROP PASS

Dumping the puck in, and carrying it across the blue line, without dropping it back, are also effective ways to enter the zone.

I'd like to see less drop pass and more of the other methods.

1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

RESPECT THE DROP PASS

Turn your caps off grandpa 

The absolute worst thing was when I was listening on the radio on SN650 having to hear that bloody annoying Jazz music on every single Volvo commercial that came on. That music is a good way to torture ones sanity. Scott Rintoul better have some new tunes come the 2020/21 season my god!

3 hours ago, Yung1 said:

RESPECT THE DROP PASS

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Turn your caps off grandpa 

RESPECT THE DROP PASS!!!!

a24acf915859ab9a0ea58693d5dec083.jpg

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Yung1 said:

RESPECT THE DROP PASS

Drop passes can be fine, but what the Canucks were doing was firing the puck back to their own blue line for a DMan to collect, so the issue of trapping at the blue line wasn’t resolved. Just the same issue different player.

effective drop passes the puck barely moves but the second players speed and angle is against the movement of the opposition allowing them to cut through. Same reason why in rugby a fast runner cutting back across the angle breaks tackles easier. 

7 hours ago, gurn said:

Dumping the puck in, and carrying it across the blue line, without dropping it back, are also effective ways to enter the zone.

I'd like to see less drop pass and more of the other methods.

http://www.nhlspecialteams.com/blog/2016/3/5/which-specific-zone-entry-types-are-most-successful

this article talks about how while dumps and chips to lead to higher rate of zone entry, they ultimately lead to less shots on goal than drop pass entries specifically.

37 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Drop passes can be fine, but what the Canucks were doing was firing the puck back to their own blue line for a DMan to collect, so the issue of trapping at the blue line wasn’t resolved. Just the same issue different player.

effective drop passes the puck barely moves but the second players speed and angle is against the movement of the opposition allowing them to cut through. Same reason why in rugby a fast runner cutting back across the angle breaks tackles easier. 

The vast spacing between passer and receiver is intentional. Most PK's forecheck in some variation of a 1-3 formation. The idea is to force the "1" back to to blueline so that they can't direct the play. Once you have all 4 defenders backed up, the player receiving the drop pass can more easily pick their lane into the ozone.

Edited by Yung1

All in  all this was a very positive year but there are a few things for sure;

1. It did seem like a lot of games some of the lines or defensive pairings couldn't regain the puck in their own zone and stop the cycle, we saw this in a large way against Vegas but it was a recurring theme.

2. Ferland, the guy you hate when you are playing against him- in all interviews as a Canuck he seems like a great guy and I was rooting for him. I hope he has done well with his money and do the right thing and retire. 

3. Baertschi - He is a light player but also very skilled. I thought we should have used him more and drive up his value for a trade. Obviously the management and coaching staff must have known something that I don't.

4. Virtanen - I love the guy and think the talent is there. However Jake hasn't figured out how to be a pro even though he has good coaching and mentors there to help him. He still would have hit 20 goals in a full season but with Jake, you are left feeling that he can still do better than that. We likely have seen the last of Shotgun Jake.