This is weird, because the attributes I'm using are listed for this year (based off last year's productions/projections) and other leagues running the same file(s) don't seem to have a problem. I'll take a long look at them during the playoffs/off-season, but will most likely go over our own personal VHL re-rates at that time. I can't exactly do them now (at least not extensively as I'd like to), due to the fact that the league is still ongoing, but this will be on the top of the list for sure.
Wouldn't you be defeating the ENTIRE purpose of this game by rerating the players next season based on what they're doing IRL? I was under the impression that the players' growth would actually reflect what they are doing in the game. Why should a player who did well in CDCVHL's 2011-2012 year be nerfed because their real life counterpart sucked? And why should a player who didn't do well in CDCVHL's 2011-2012 year be raised because their real life counterpart is doing well? I thought beyond the initial rating (and maintenance re-ratings), real life would have no impact on the game as of the beginning of the 2011-2012 season?
Basically it includes ideas on how to start a war with Cuba by making it look like the US were attacked or that they were taking part in terrorist activities. Such as blowing up US ships near Guantanamo, or shooting down a US flight enroute to South America, etc.
So with this knowledge, how could you ever DENY THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE GOVERNMENT WOULD EVER KILL THOUSANDS OF AMERICAN CIVILIANS WHEN THEY'VE ALREADY TALKED ABOUT DOING IT BEFORE?
Disappointed that there aren't more news articles for me to read. I might just have prize incentives for best news articles of the month or something of that sort to make the site more lively next season.
On that note, a warm welcome to Tyler Seguin for taking over the Buffalo Sabres. With unfortunate circumstances needing Edler23-, the 2-year Buffalo GM veteran (WCNHL + VHL), to attend to, Tyler Seguin will be stepping in to manage a strong team ready to contend for the playoffs.
At this time, I would like to extend my gratitude to SOB for MVP, Kanucks25, Chimon and BunBun for their hard work in their respective fields so far. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that these four have done a marvelous job thus far and will be looking forward to be working with them in the coming future.
Finally, I'd like for all teams that have AGM positions filled to please post in this thread so that I can update the first post. This is just for the reference for teams during trade deadline when they cannot reach the main GM.
I've also received some questions regarding the cap during the playoffs. In lieu of the upcoming trade deadline, there will be no salary cap restrictions during the playoffs (like the IRL NHL). Adding to this, roster limitations will be increased to 25, +2 from the original 23.
On the topic of the trade deadline, I feel there are a few issues I need to go over:
- When teams are trading for pending UFAs, please do not feel that they will be signing with your team just because you've traded for their services. In cases of players who are loyal to their original teams, they may only act as rentals for the playoff run and not return to your team. Expecting pending free agents to automatically re-sign with your team is naive and the risk of rentals should be put into play.
This message is mainly directed at the two agents - to take the best interests of your clients into account.
- The trade deadline will encompass most of Wednesday, January 18 (tomorrow). I will be online from 3PM - whenever, with multiple breaks in between to answer questions, concerns and supporting the two player agents and trade tracker. The end of the trade deadline will close at 11:59PM of the same day, and no other trades will be processed if submitted past this deadline. If trades talks are ongoing past the cutoff period, the trade tracker will use his best judgment (along with mine) to decide whether particular trades will pass through (depending if we allow a sort of grace period or not).
- With teams defining themselves as "sellers" or "buyers" I urge all GMs to make deals as fair as possible for both sides. Although it has not happened yet, trades are closely monitored. Do not take advantage of your fellow GMs, especially if they are ignorant on a particular player/aspect of the sim league. General Managers who are found consistently taking advantage of others through immoral ways will be warned and reprimanded.
- For teams who have the reputation of repeatedly "flipping players," I advise you to keep an eye out for who you trade, who you trade for, and who you're intending to trade (again). These actions may lead to unsatisfactory results during contract negotiations, clauses being waived, or off-season free agency.
- Keep in mind that although roster restrictions and cap restrictions will be more lenient during the playoffs, that this will not be the case for contracts and cap restrictions before the playoffs. If teams are found not compliant with the restrictions (50 contracts, 64.3/48.3), they will be penalized after the trade deadline.
- Finally, for GMs who need help: ask questions! Most (if not all) of the GMs in the VHL are quality GMs (even if they aren't quality people) who may have hidden insights on the league or fantasy hockey as a whole. If you're learning the ropes, don't be afraid to ask what something means, what they do, or why certain GMs do certain things. Learn to value your players (not overvaluing or undervaluing), and how teams are looking to fill certain roles with certain attributes. All in all, we're all learning here, and it's only fun if we all learn together.
1. F Nail Yakupov
2. F Mikhail Grigorenko
3. F Filip Forsberg
4. D Ryan Murray
5. D Matt Dumba
6. D Olli Maata
7. F Sebastian Collberg
8. D Jacob Trouba
9. D Ville Pokka
10. F Alexander Galchenyuk
11. D Morgan Rielly
12. F Brendan Gaunce
13. F Pontus Aberg
14. D Derrick Pouliot
15. F Zemgus Girgensons
16. D Griffin Reinhart
17. D Cody Ceci
18. F Tomas Hertl
19. F Teuvo Teravainen
20. F Tanner Pearson
21. F Colton Sissons
22. F Martin Frk
23. D Ludvig Bystrom
24. D Matthew Finn
25. D Slater Koekkoek
26. F Radek Faksa
27. F Andreas Athanasiou
28. G Malcolm Subban
29. G Andrei Vasilevski
30. F Nikita Gusev
As noted earlier in the month, I've been looking around for help on the league to free up some time for some personal issues and (hopefully) more sim times. A number of people from this league have stepped up and offered help, and I'm glad to welcome a number of them to fill out some administrative roles for the CDC VHL.
Current General Manager of the Chicago Blackhawks, BunBun, has offered his assistance to act as the VHL General Scout. His responsibilities are to provide potential draft lists for the upcoming draft(s). As the role is quite tedious, I may split the work with him.
Current General Manager of the Columbus Blue Jackets, SOB for MVP, has offered his assistance to act as the VHL Trade Tracker. His responsibilities are to ensure that trades are made with thought and care by both parties and to uphold the integrity of the league. Whether teams are being "ripped off" or not will be at his discretion. However, if he feels that a deal is too close to call, I may call forth a General Manager Trade Committee. All current pending trades will be SOB for MVP's new responsibilities and I ask that each pending trade to be forwarded as such.
Current General Manager of the Detroit Red Wings, Chimon, has offered his assistance to act as the Eastern Conference Player Agent. His responsibilities are to ensure that all contract negotiations are fair, both for the team and player in question. Whether a player will waive their no-trade/no-movement clause will be at his discretion, but I ask that it's been at least discussed with the separate agent or with myself first. All current pending contract negotiations will be Chimon's new responsibilities and I ask that each pending negotiation to be forwarded as such.
Current General Manager of the Philadelphia Flyers, kanucks25, has offered his assistance to act as the Western Conference Player Agent. His responsibilities are to ensure that all contract negotiations are fair, both for the team and player in question. Whether a player will waive their no-trade/no-movement clause will be at his discretion, but I ask that it's been at least discussed with the separate agent or with myself first. All current pending contract negotiations will be kanucks25's new responsibilities and I ask that each pending negotiation to be forwarded as such. However, due to the certain circumstances (coughperrycough), negotiations will be going through MSN (email@example.com) with him until he's back on CDC.
If there are any problems with my choice in personnel, please let me know on the side and not rag on them in private. I've entrusted these individuals to do the best job that they can for the VHL and I'm sure that they will act in these roles to the best of their abilities. If any of the new hirees are confused with their role, please let me know either through MSN or PM here. Thanks again to all of you for the continued support, and good luck to the teams who are intending to make that final push!
Ilya Kovalchuk (NJD) - Henrik Zetterberg (BOS) - Jaromir Jagr (PHI)
Alexander Ovechkin (WSH) - Sidney Crosby (PIT) - Evgeni Malkin (PIT)
Marian Gaborik (NYR) - Eric Staal (CAR) - Brian Gionta (MTL)
Nik Antropov (WPG) - Jason Spezza (OTT) - Martin St. Louis (TBL)
Christian Ehrhoff (BUF) - Zdeno Chara (BOS)
Chris Pronger (PHI) - Dion Phaneuf (TOR)
Brian Campbell (FLA) - Tobias Enstrom (WPG)
Sergei Gonchar (OTT)
Ilya Bryzgalov (PHI)
Martin Brodeur (NJD)
Henrik Lundqvist (NYR)
Pavel Datsyuk (DET) - Mikko Koivu (MIN) - Shane Doan (PHX)
Dany Heatley (LAK) - Ryan Getzlaf (ANA) - Jarome Iginla (CGY)
Taylor Hall (EDM) - Jonathan Toews (CHI) - Milan Hejduk (COL)
Jamie Benn (DAL) - Jordan Staal (STL) - Phil Kessel (LAK)
Erik Johnson (COL) - Nicklas Lidstrom (DET)
Alexander Edler (VAN) - Dan Boyle (SJS)
Shea Weber (NSH) - Grant Clitsome (CBJ)
Jack Johnson (MIN)
Antti Niemi (SJS)
Roberto Luongo (VAN)
Pekka Rinne (NSH)