Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

nuckin_futz

Members
  • Posts

    13,408
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

Everything posted by nuckin_futz

  1. India official empties dam to retrieve lost phone The Kherkatta reservoir in Chhattisgarh, India A government official in India has been suspended after he ordered a reservoir to be drained to retrieve his phone. It took three days to pump millions of litres of water out of the dam, after Rajesh Vishwas dropped the device while taking a selfie. By the time it was found, the phone was too water-logged to work. Mr Vishwas claimed it contained sensitive government data and needed retrieving, but he has been accused of misusing his position. The food inspector dropped his Samsung phone, worth about $1,200 (100,000 rupees), into Kherkatta Dam, in the central Indian state of Chhattisgarh, on Sunday. After local divers failed to find it, he paid for a diesel pump to be brought in, Mr Vishwas said in a video statement quoted in Indian media. He said he had verbal permission from an official to drain "some water into a nearby canal", adding that the official said it "would in fact benefit the farmers who would have more water". The pump ran for several days, emptying out some two million litres (440,000 gallons) of water - reportedly enough to irrigate 6 sq km (600 hectares) of farmland. His mission was stopped when another official, from the water resource department, arrived following a complaint. "He has been suspended until an inquiry. Water is an essential resource and it cannot be wasted like this," Priyanka Shukla, a Kanker district official, told The National newspaper. Mr Vishwas has denied misusing his position, and said that the water he drained was from the overflow section of the dam and "not in usable condition". But his actions have drawn criticism from politicians, with the state's opposition BJP party's national Vice-President tweeting, "When people are depending upon tankers for water facility in in scorching summers, the officer has drained 41 lakh litres which could have been used for irrigation purpose for 1,500 acres of land."
  2. Footage shows mid-flight panic as passenger opens door The passengers included teenage athletes who reportedly screamed and cried in panic. Video showed air blasting through the cabin, whipping some passengers' hair. Other passengers suffered severe ear pain and breathing problems after the door opened. Footage shows the terrifying moment inside a cabin after a passenger opened an emergency exit door on a South Korean plane shortly before it landed. Some people on board the Asiana Airlines flight tried to stop the person from opening the door but it was eventually opened partially, the transport ministry said. Video shows air blasting through the cabin, whipping some passengers' hair. Image: Pic: AP The plane, with 194 people on board, was heading to the southeastern city of Daegu from the southern island of Jeju. The flight normally takes around an hour and the incident occurred when the plane was approaching the Daegu airport at an altitude of 700ft (213m). It was not disclosed how long the door was open. The passengers included teenage athletes on their way to a track and field competition and some screamed and cried in panic, Yonhap news agency reported, citing their coach. It quoted other passengers saying they suffered severe ear pain after the door opened. Some cabin crew shouted for help from passengers to prevent the door from being opened, the news agency said. Twelve people were taken to hospitals for treatment, with emergency officials saying they suffered breathing problems and other minor symptoms. Image: Rescue workers move a passenger on a stretcher to an ambulance. Pic: AP The transport ministry later said the person who opened the door had been detained. Pictures showed officers in plain clothes arresting a passenger. Image: Police officers in plain clothes arrest an airplane passenger at Daegu International Airport. Pic: AP The ministry said police had taken the passenger into custody and were investigating a possible violation of aviation safety laws. Their motive was not known. ********************** How did he not get sucked out when he opened the door?
  3. Historically speaking the #11 OA pick has been kind of diseased. But I still wouldn't trade it for Cody Glass.
  4. Chicago is an original 6 team and a massive market. The opportunity to make $$$ endorsing products is a dream come true. Especially considering there really is no big time athlete on any of the Chicago teams these days. Lindros refused Quebec because it was a small market team.
  5. Just checking up on my team and found this........... Missing radio host Jeffrey Vandergrift found dead in San Francisco Bay By Kerry Breen March 23, 2023 / 3:57 PM / CBS News The body of Jeffrey "JV" Vandergrift, a popular San Francisco radio DJ who was first reported missing in late February, has been found. Vandergrift was last seen leaving his home at 10:00 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 23. According to CBS Bay Area, his body was found in the water at San Francisco's Pier 39. The body was found on Wednesday evening, and the city's medical examiner's office said Thursday that they had identified the late Vandergrift, who hosted "The JV Show" and multiple podcasts covering celebrity news, viral trends and pop culture on Wild 94.9, a popular station in the Bay Area owned by iHeartRadio. Police do not suspect foul play in the 54-year-old's death, CBS Bay Area said. He was described by the police as "at risk" shortly after being reported missing.
  6. Promising Young Woman : 8.5/10 Really liked this one.
  7. Report: Raptors met with Steve Nash about head coaching job Brooklyn Nets head coach Steve Nash reacts to a referee call during the first half of Game 4 of an NBA basketball first-round playoff series against the Boston Celtics, Monday, April 25, 2022, in New York. (John Minchillo/AP Photo) The Toronto Raptors met with former Brooklyn Nets coach Steve Nash to discuss their vacant head coaching job, The Athletic's Shams Charania reports. The Victoria native was 94-67 over two-plus seasons with Brooklyn before the Nets and Nash decided they were parting ways early in the 2022-23 season. The Raptors' head coaching job opened last month when Toronto fired Nick Nurse following the club's play-in tournament loss against the Chicago Bulls. Toronto has been linked to many names with the team conducting a wide-ranging search. Nash got a five-year contract to coach the Nets in 2020, taking the reins of a star-studded team that appeared poised to contend for championships. But the team had numerous off-court and on-court woes as Kyrie Irving, James Harden and Kevin Durant all eventually landed with new teams. The Nets lost in the second round of the playoffs in Nash's first year of coaching before falling in the first round in Year 2. The 49-year-old Nash is considered one of the best point guards in NBA history. He was an eight-time all-star as a player and won two NBA most valuable player awards with the Phoenix Suns. He also is considered one of the league's best shooters of all time, making 42.8 per cent of his career three-point attempts and shooting 90.4 per cent from the free-throw line. Nash played his final game in 2014 with the Los Angeles Lakers and retired the following year. Nash also led Canada to its most recent Olympic appearance in men's basketball in 2000 and was named the country's athlete of the year in 2005.
  8. That was Hazel May. Burke went ballistic and was suing ISP's to get the identities of of anonymous internet ID's Brian Burke sues Internet commenters over firing rumour, so watch yourself, ‘Poonerman’ "I'm gonna get this Poonerman character if it's the last thing I do." Brian Burke was pretty direct about what it was that got him fired as the General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs back in January. "We didn't win enough games," he told the media at the press conference following his dismissal, and that about summed it up. But if you were to listen to Internet commenters like "POONERMAN" or "CAMBARKERFAN" -- two individuals whose usernames should tell you all you need to know about their airtight credibility and intelligence -- there was more to this story than simply a failure to get the Leafs to the playoffs. These guys claimed that Burke was actually fired because he had an affair with a Sportsnet reporter. Salacious. Burke denies this, however, and he won't tolerate the rumour's continued dissemination. On Friday, the former GM launched a lawsuit against the commenters behind this rumour in B.C. Supreme Court. From Metro News: “The Defamatory Statements were made with the knowledge that they were false or with a reckless disregard for their truth,” the notice of civil claim reads. “The Defamatory Statements have been published, republished, downloaded, viewed and commented on by persons in British Columbia and Ontario and throughout Canada and the United States by various means, including through email, internet bulletin board postings, Facebook pages and Twitter messages, and have harmed the Plaintiff’s reputation in, amongst other jurisdictions, British Columbia, Ontario, and other parts of Canada and the United States.” “In publishing the Defamatory Statements, the Defendants were motivated by actual and express malice, and had the intention of damaging the Plaintiff’s reputation.” I think it's safe to say that Burke's never heard of the Streisand Effect. Good luck with this one. Burke is suing for damages, as well as an injunction that would prevent the 18 defendants from posting any more defamatory statements. So who are the defendants? Why, I'm glad you asked, because they're only listed by username, and those usernames are incredible: The usernames listed in the claim are: “NOFIXEDADDRESS”, “CAMBARKERFAN”, “LAVY16”, “MBSKIDMORE”, “TULOWD”, “LOOB”, “NAGGAH”, “MOWERMAN”, “AARONP18”, “STEVE”, “KABOOMIN8”,“THEZBRAD”, “SLOBBERFACE”, “POONERMAN”, “ISOLATEDCIRCUIT”, “KANADA KEV”, “NCOGNITO” AND “SIR PSYCHO SEXY”. I'm skeptical that "Sir Psycho Sexy" is fit to stand trial. If he's really that psychotically sexy, it's going to be tough to find him liable. But you'd best watch yourself, "Steve". You'll be the easiest to track down. It is my sincere hope that Burke wins this suit and the defendants are ordered to meet him in a barn.
  9. I'm scared of dealing with Steve Yzerman again. I wish Ron Caron was still alive.
×
×
  • Create New...