The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WWHL- WESTERN WOMENS HOCKEY LEAGUE

Well, with the collapse of the NWHL this year, the WWHL now stands as the longest running major womens hockey league in North America (and probably the world).

B.C. Breakers start their season Oct 26th on the road in Minnesota.

Home opener November 16 against Edmonton in Aldergrove.

Calgary (again) comes in looking to defend their championship. Of course, what can you expect from a team that has the likes of Hayley Wickenheiser, Danielle Goyette, Gina Kingsbury, Cara McLeod, Gillian Ferrari, Kelly Bechard, Colleen Sostorics & Delaney Collins. All who are or were members of Team Canada in recent years.

This year, I would expect Minnesota to start to give Calgary a bit of a run, now that they seem to have brought in a few more American Olympians of their own & even added Canadian Caroline Ouellette.

Edmonton will likely fall a place with the emergence of Minnesota now. They are kind of the continual runner up in the province of Alberta, with all of the big name talent always choosing Calgary.

Sadly, I dont expect a lot for our team this year, as since the departure of Cammi Granato, they seemingly havent added any high end talent to replace her still.

Strathmore Alberta will now be the bottom feeder of the league (presumably) replace the Saskatchewan franchise thats gone on hiatus (& possibly gone, as what often happens with minor pro teams that go on hiatus). Strathmore did add atleast some talent with the addition of Team Canada member Correne Bredin to the team.

This year, the Breakers will be playing out of Aldergrove & Langley (unfortunately).

I still think it would be best for attendance to have them closer to the city.

For schedule info, feel free to check it out.

http://www.westernwomenshockeyleague.com

and, if you are one of the few people who are aware of the league & have watched some of the games, give your own opinion here.

To those who are tempted to make stupid idiotic posts belittling the game, dont bother.

Archived