The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

The UFC currently uses five weight classes:

* Lightweight: 145 to 155 lb (66 to 70 kg)

* Welterweight: 156 to 170 lb (71 to 77 kg) This is where GSP holds the belt

* Middleweight: 171 to 185 lb (78 to 84 kg)

* Light Heavyweight: 186 to 205 lb (84 to 93 kg) Here is where GSP should fight on fight night

* Heavyweight: 206 to 265 lb (93 to 120 kg)

GSP has been known to weigh over 200 when not in his fighting condition. But on fight nights he regularly comes in over 185 lbs which puts him into the light heavyweights

Im pretty sure there is no upper weight in MMA there is no super heavy weight div. Ive seen Brett Rogers come in at 285, i could be wrong though but UFC cannot have different weight classes then other fight orginizations. as they are a Sanctioned promoter. How else would guys like Hung man choi fight? also did anyone else hear about Dream, Strikeforce, and M1 merging? tring to from a new Pride fighting kinda thing.

Edited by CanuckinEdm

Im pretty sure there is no upper weight in MMA there is no super heavy weight div. Ive seen Brett Rogers come in at 285, i could be wrong though but UFC cannot have different weight classes then other fight orginizations. as they are a Sanctioned promoter. How else would guys like Hung man choi fight? also did anyone else hear about Dream, Strikeforce, and M1 merging? tring to from a new Pride fighting kinda thing.

Wasn't the Hung man choi vs. Fedor a fight in Japan for the Dream promotion, they probably have different rules there as far as weight cap. i do recall Joe Rogan saying that Brock walks around at 280+ meaning he had to cut to 265 for the fight

You can get the weight classes here from the UFC site. http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules#section1

As for Hong Man Choi he fought Fedor in Pride in Japan. That is one of the things about pride. The only time weight was ever an issue was during trounaments and when fighting for titles. Other than that anyone could fight anyone if they had the stones to do it and would sign a contract for it.

If they had unlimited weight classes or a super heavyweight division in the UFC Antonio Junior Silva would be in the UFC.

Edited by Harbinger

that would be a sick fight GSP vs. Lyoto Machida.and i'm pretty new to ufc so could u guyz tell me who is the middle weight and lightweight champions?

They would have to meet at middleweight or catch weight 190 since they are 2 weight divisions apart. The more likely scenerio is GSP vs Silva or Silva vs Machida

Heavywieight - Brock Lesner

light heavyweight - Lyoto Machida

middleweight - Anderson Silva

welterweight - Goerge St. Pierre

Lightweight - BJ Penn.

I re arranged your list in weight order^^

To all of the people saying Fedor is easily the best fighter in the world...

Have you actually seen him fight or are you just buying into the media hype? I honestly don't think he can be given that title until he shows how he can stand up against the best of the best in the UFC. And it doesn't look like that will be happening anytime soon.

To all of the people saying Fedor is easily the best fighter in the world...

Have you actually seen him fight or are you just buying into the media hype? I honestly don't think he can be given that title until he shows how he can stand up against the best of the best in the UFC. And it doesn't look like that will be happening anytime soon.

His stand up didn't look that great against Arlovski until he cracked the Pit bull's glass jaw. I could see him getting taken down easily by Lesnar, and then catching him with an armbar. Sick, sick armbars.

His stand up didn't look that great against Arlovski until he cracked the Pit bull's glass jaw. I could see him getting taken down easily by Lesnar, and then catching him with an armbar. Sick, sick armbars.

You mean the same Fedor that knocked Tim Sylvia out in 30 seconds? Or the guy who knocked out Arvlovski?

Yes fedor is not known as a great striker, however, he is a good striker. what other heavyweights attempt spinning leg kicks?

Getting taken down easily by lesnar.... Well with Brock Lesnar a NCAA wrestler and a NFL linebacker, you would expect that.

However! Who has Lesnar faced that rivals Fedor's takedown defense? Mir? Couture.... noooo.

Fedor is an elite heavy weight for a reason

He is not just a product of the Media...

If you don't believe in Fedor watch him fight mark coleman, heck watch him fight kevin randleman where he gets slammed onto his spine and still pulls a kimura.. SICK!

Early predictions for UFC 101:

Kenny Florian over BJ Penn

Anderson Silva over Forrest Griffin

Amir Sadollah over Johny Hendricks

Ricardo Almeida over Kendall Grove

Josh Neer over Kurt Pellegrino

Although I may change my Silva over Griffin prediction before the fight. (as crazy as it may sound)

Edited by King of Anarchy

I'm taking Florian just because I hate BJ so friggin' much.

I want to take Griffin. It's not so much that I don't like Anderson Silva, it's just that I want GSP to be recognized as the best p4p fighter in the world. It's been so long since Griffin had a win, and it's been so long since Silva had a real fight. I really have no idea what to make of this one. So I'll say Griffin.

After that, I like Sadollah, Almeida and Pellegrino.

UFC 101 Predictions:

Main Event: I'm going to take bj penn in this one, he is just to much of a beast at 155. When BJ fights at 170 he dosen't have to train as hard to make weight so he is a little lax which might have contributed to the donkey whoppin he took from piere. I can see Bj beating kenflo in stand up and grappling, in reality kenny dosent have a chance.

BJ Penn via 2nd round Rear Naked Choke

Co-Main Event: As we all know Silva is the best fighter in the world, but I do think he is going to suffer his first loss in the UFC saturday night. Forrest has excellent grappling and if he'll be able to avoid the knees and get silva to the ground and grind it out he really does have a good chance of winning.

Forrest Griffin via unanimous decision

Other Notable Fights: Hendricks over Sadolla

Almedia over Grove

Neer over Pelegrino