The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

having lesnar and dos santos as tuf coaches is pretty stupid. The ufc heavyweight division is looking very thin right now. Carwin, nog and cain injured. Leaving only a few legit top guys. I dont like the whole interm belt idea. If a champion is gone for a year or more, then it should be brought into play. Wasn't cain expected to return in 8 months? I'm not exactly sure, but this just seems like a money making scheme. Which isn't really surprising.

On a side note. Glad to see the UFC will be coming back to vancouver. Although the card didn't have the biggest names last time. It was a phenomenal card. The Liddell/Frankling, Rory/Condit, and CroCop/Barry fights were all very very good. Hopefully it will be as good as last time.

Agreed but since it's going to result in those 2 fighting in Vancouver I could go through a season of those 2 coaching. The card last year didnt have the biggest names but all the fights were entertaining. So far the 2 fights that are supposedly on the Vancouver card look crazy good.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Shogun, What do you feel about Jones chances against your boy?

Shogun is probably my favourite fighter, but man this a fight i did not wanna see. I didn't think Jones would get a title shot for another year or so, so he'd probably move up to heavy weight by then. Jones is so big, so strong and such a freak athlete. A wing span of 7 feet, a national greco roman champ. This guys legit. However shogun is probably the only guy i can see beating Jones. It'll be a damn tough fight, and i'm actually kinda expecting to see Jones win sadly but their are so many factors that play in.

Jones is in shape, so he wont waste time in his camp trying to get in shape (maybe a little fatigued?)

however Shogun is coming off a year long knee surgery for like the 3rd time.

Jones has never faced a striker or a fighter with as good bjj as shogun. Shogun isnt gonna let someone put him in the crucifux or go in the fetal position like Bader. However Jones has a huge size advantage over shogun, which will make it hard for him to sweep Jones.

Jones puts alot of weight on that front leg, and really leave it out their. Shogun has some of the best kicks in the division. His plan will definently be to take out that lead leg of jones, but he'll be put on his back several times in doing so.

We haven't seen much of Jones chin or how he is off his back yet. I dont think shogun will be able to put jones on his back, but i dont think jones will be able to knock him out standing. Shogun has one of the best chins in mma.

Also shogun has a huge experience advantage, but so have many other fighters that jones has walked through.

Its a very intriguing fight to say the least. Shogun was pretty much in the same position jones was years ago. This phenom that was walking through experienced guys and just destroying everyone with soccer kicks and stomps. No one wanted to fight the guy, and it was very evident that he was an incredibally gifted fighter. (At the age of 23, which jones is. Shogun won the Pride grand prix, which was probably one of the greatest accomplishments in mma. Finishing Overeem, Rampage and Arrona in a vicious manner and decisioned a pretty one sided bout against lil nog.)Much like Jones is now.

Edited by Should've_Drafted_Kopitar

Good stuff tonight. Wish the main event went longer, but was nice to see a stellar knockout like that. GSP vs Anderson WILL happen.

Forrest used his size in the first to wear down Rich, and pretty much out-pointed him the rest of the way.

But daaaaaaaaaammmnnn.... Jonny Bones JONES!! That guy is for reeeeeal! (Rogan's voice). I actually think he's gonna take title from Shogun.

• Upvote 1

GSP is too small, no matter how much muscle he puts on Silva has destroyed way bigger fighters.

i was about to quote a bunch of stats on how good GSP was...

but then i noticed at the top of the "significant strike defence" was ryan bader. i know right?, but if you've already written off GSP i don't think you understand MMA very well... or need to go back and watch some of his fights

how soon people forget that GSP made koschecks eye look like a giant swollen clam... he had to have FACE surgery for crying out loud. GSP vs. Silva would actually be the fight for the best pound for pound fighter in the world, and that shouldnt be arguable... if sonnen can take silva to the ground, then it shouldnt be a question on IF GSP can take him down, its a question of WHEN.

im not saying i think GSP will destroy silva, im saying it would be one of the greatest matchups in MMA history. (i say matchup because who knows, maybe someone will get face-kicked in the first roundtowel.gif)

My rudimentary analysis of the Silva vs. GSP fight:

Striking:

Silva has a clear advantage here. Silva has a God given talent for knocking guys out. Looking at him, you wouldn't think so. His arms aren't particularly big, but it just seems that when he hits you, you go down. Remember that Griffin/Silva fight? He pawed at him and damn near knocked Forrest out. It was amazing. Add into the mix his kicks with those freakishly long legs and you have a KO waiting to happen.

GSP is an excellent striker, and if you don't believe me, just ask Koscheck. He has excellent kicks, very accurate punches, and his strikes don't lose power as the fight progresses due to his endurance. His striking accuracy is 57% and his average landed strikes per 15 mins is 57.46. Silva's is 67% and 45.17 respectively. GSP is moderately less accurate and moderately more active. Not much to chose from in this as one essentially cancels out the other. But in power, Silva takes this category.

Takedowns/Takedown Defence:

There are few fighters in the UFC better at taking an opponent down at will than GSP. His wrestling is exceptional (regarded as the best in the UFC), and his intelligence about when to shoot or clinch for a takedown gives him a clear advantage here. It is unlikely that Silva will be able to stuff GSP throughout the match, and eventually, unless he is able to KO GSP, he will find himself on his back with GSP on top of him. Silva has never faced a groundfighter quite like GSP. Sonnen was a fierce challenge for him, and if it were not for his one mistake he may well have beaten Silva. GSP is a better wrestler than Sonnen, at least as good and ground striking, and a far superior BJJ practitioner than Sonnen. With Sonnen, Silva only had to worry about the strikes, and could adjust his defence to suit that. With GSP on top of him, he will have to defend against strikes and submissions, plus GSP's excellent ability to pass the guard and improve his position in general. Silva is quite capable of attacking from his back, both in BJJ and strikes, so GSP will have to worry about that as well. On the ground, GSP has a very clear advantage.

Psychological:

This will be GSP's first fight at 185, so there's an advantage there to Silva. However, GSP will be pursuing a belt, while Silva will be defending, so the pressure is more on Silva in this aspect...advantage GSP. Both will have the 'Best Pound for Pound Fighter' title to shoot for, so that's a draw.

Some other factors:

GSP has not lost a round since the first Koscheck fight...that's 30 consecutive rounds where he was on top. Silva hasn't lost a fight in the UFC, 14 straight wins. As far as domination goes, Silva takes it for overall domination of his division, but GSP takes it for recent domination...Silva clearly was losing against Sonnen and has had some sketchy moments in other fights in which he found a way to win.

Overall, I'd say this is a very even matchup. It will come down to whether or not Silva can KO or do enough damage to GSP prior to GSP getting him down early in a round. If Silva can do that, and keep the takedowns to the last minute of each round, he will win. If GSP can get Silva down in the first minute, especially away from the fence, he can and will stop Silva. If I HAD to bet money on it, and I likely will, I'd take GSP in a late round Submission. If Silva wins, it will be a KO early.

• Upvote 2

http://www.mmafv.com/2011/02/silva-belfort-fight-video-ufc-126.html

Holllyyy cr@pppp!!!!!!! frantics.gif

I was watching the fight live at home with my cousins on Saturday and I just couldn't believe it, Silva, outta nowhere, just killed it!!! It was so fast, Belfort didn't even react to it, holy insanity!!!!!!

......GSP vs Silva next?, going to be insane!!!!!! blink.gif (GSP's my fav fighter)

i was about to quote a bunch of stats on how good GSP was...

but then i noticed at the top of the "significant strike defence" was ryan bader. i know right?, but if you've already written off GSP i don't think you understand MMA very well... or need to go back and watch some of his fights

how soon people forget that GSP made koschecks eye look like a giant swollen clam... he had to have FACE surgery for crying out loud. GSP vs. Silva would actually be the fight for the best pound for pound fighter in the world, and that shouldnt be arguable... if sonnen can take silva to the ground, then it shouldnt be a question on IF GSP can take him down, its a question of WHEN.

im not saying i think GSP will destroy silva, im saying it would be one of the greatest matchups in MMA history. (i say matchup because who knows, maybe someone will get face-kicked in the first roundtowel.gif)

I understand GSP is a great wrestler, but he's just going to play it safe.

Silva has been finishing top level Middleweights for a long time.

GSP hasn't been finishing guy's other than Penn and he's a lightweight.

Even If GSP gets Silva to the ground, Silva's limbs are way longer he can easily submit GSP from his back.

It's a similar size/reach advantage as Jones vs Bader, once GSP puts on all his muscle.

Edited by playboi19