The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Tournaments are great...but isnt that a lower level type of move other promotions like Bellator and others have used? I am not a huge MMA person, but I don't recall the UFC doing that in the last 10 years at least...but I could be wrong.

Will be interesting to see what they do, Poirer was an interim champ as was Gaetje. But if Poirer and McNugget still end up fighting that logically could be the earliest title fight. Ferguson needs a W before he should get a chance at the belt after being picked apart by Gaetje. Hopefully it gets figured out over the next few weeks

• Upvote 1

Daniel Cormier: Khabib refused to hurt Justin Gaethje unnecessarily in front of his parents at UFC 254

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/10/26/21535282/ufc-daniel-cormier-khabib-nurmagomedov-refused-hurt-justin-gaethje-ufc-254-in-front-parents-mma

He planned to switch to the triangle from the armbar so that he didn't hurt Justin in front of his parents. That's skill and confidence with a sprinkle of super nice guy. 

Really did go out as top dog ever for that division.

Man I would love to see a GSP fight. Come on mom, tell him he can do one more. 

On 10/25/2020 at 5:03 PM, Canuckster86 said:

Tournaments are great...but isnt that a lower level type of move other promotions like Bellator and others have used? I am not a huge MMA person, but I don't recall the UFC doing that in the last 10 years at least...but I could be wrong.

Will be interesting to see what they do, Poirer was an interim champ as was Gaetje. But if Poirer and McNugget still end up fighting that logically could be the earliest title fight. Ferguson needs a W before he should get a chance at the belt after being picked apart by Gaetje. Hopefully it gets figured out over the next few weeks

Yeah, its nothing the UFC has done in my ~20 years of watching. I think it requires too much long term planning and, to borrow form GSP, Dana White likes to play his fighters like stocks and jump on the hot hand. Tournaments take a long time to unfold, there is a lot of uncertainty, and if someone arrives on the scene and starts tearing it up, there might be limited competition available to capitalize on. 

• Cheers 1

Aside from TUF shows, the UFC doesn't do tourny's.

Here an old article with some of the reasons why.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/607193-top-five-reasons-why-the-ufc-doesnt-do-tournaments

I would say the biggest reason though is controlling the $$$$$$$$. UFC is more prize fighting than legit ranking match ups.

Ok Khabib...shut up man.

Khabib Nurmagomedov attacks French President Macron over comments about Islam

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/10/30/21542444/khabib-nurmagomedov-attacks-french-president-emmanuel-macron-over-comments-about-islam

Anyway, in other mma news, the type that doesn't promote fricking terrorism...this is awesome..

Israel Adesanya will move up to fight Jan Blachowicz for the UFC light heavyweight title

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/10/31/21543411/israel-adesanya-will-move-up-to-fight-jan-blachowicz-for-the-ufc-light-heavyweight-title-espn-mma

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 9:53 AM, bishopshodan said:

Is it just me or is Israel taking the easy way out in capturing his 2nd belt...has a feud with Jones but says he is not interested in moving up as he is focused on clearing out the middleweight division. Then, Jones vacates and after title is awarded this guy wants to move up and fight for a belt?

Not say Jan doesn't have a chance but I think Israel will pick him apart, just has to be careful as this is a fight after all and anything can happen...

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Is it just me or is Israel taking the easy way out in capturing his 2nd belt...has a feud with Jones but says he is not interested in moving up as he is focused on clearing out the middleweight division. Then, Jones vacates and after title is awarded this guy wants to move up and fight for a belt?

Not say Jan doesn't have a chance but I think Israel will pick him apart, just has to be careful as this is a fight after all and anything can happen...

I think is it just you.

Izzy has laid out his plan for a while now. I think he has stated he wants to fight JJ in 2021.

I won't doubt him yet as he is undefeated and has beaten some monsters along the way.

i agree with you that he should win against Jan. 

Edited by bishopshodan

Wow, Izzy getting a big gig.

Israel Adesanya added to Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr boxing PPV on Nov. 28

“The Last Stylebender” will call the action alongside “Sugar” Ray Leonard and Al Bernstein.

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/11/19/21575738/ufc-israel-adesanya-added-mike-tyson-vs-roy-jones-jr-boxing-ppv-nov-28-mma

12 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Its kind of crazy that Mike Perry is fighting on this card. But also not surprising since, name-wise, it is underwhelming and that's just how the UFC do. Tim Means is a serviceable vet but he's 4-5-1 in his last 10 fights... kind of feels like they're trying to feed him a win. 

He has the best corner in the sport!

Wonder if he makes the weight cut...he's been tweeting that he wants to die and/or hang up the gloves.

Guy is a mess. 

On 11/20/2020 at 8:32 AM, bishopshodan said:

He has the best corner in the sport!

Wonder if he makes the weight cut...he's been tweeting that he wants to die and/or hang up the gloves.

Guy is a mess. 

Don't think Perry is going to last long in the UFC via charges laid against him or if he loses/ runs out his current contract. Guy definitely seems like he needs to enter rehab for a lengthy stint...

• Cheers 1

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

Don't think Perry is going to last long in the UFC via charges laid against him or if he loses/ runs out his current contract. Guy definitely seems like he needs to enter rehab for a lengthy stint...

Yeah, he missed weight bad and talked about suicide.

He seems in a bad spot with his legal challenges and his career. Hope he gets some support from his circle and they get him some help. 

• Cheers 1