The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Can't show up at 200 lbs and expect to beat a guy walking into the fight at 220. 

These lighter fighters get too cocky thinking that their punching power at their own weight will have even 75% of its effectiveness at a weight 30lbs higher. Not to mention the huge disadvantage on the ground.

Izzy is still my fav fighter.

Jan had to go to wrestling and those last two rounds being called 10-8 is an absolute joke.

That said, Jan won that fight no question and it is obvious that Izzy would not be able to handle JJones wrestling. 

Not bad that your first pro loss in over a 100 combat sport matches comes against the champ of the division up from you. Yep, Stylebender is something else. 

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Izzy is still my fav fighter.

Jan had to go to wrestling and those last two rounds being called 10-8 is an absolute joke.

That said, Jan won that fight no question and it is obvious that Izzy would not be able to handle JJones wrestling. 

Not bad that your first pro loss in over a 100 combat sport matches comes against the champ of the division up from you. Yep, Stylebender is something else. 

I respect what hes accomplished. I hate his fighting style and ego.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I respect what hes accomplished. I hate his fighting style and ego.

I'm such a massive striking fan that I love his style. Obvious that his weakness is on the ground. Imo, It wasn't the size difference that lost him the fight it was his lack of ground game and/or take down defence. Stipe, DC, Gracie, Fedor..many guys have had great success weighing less than their opponents

As for ego, I can understand that.

For example Jon Jones seems to be a very awful person but he might be the best to ever step foot in the cage. I don't pay too much attention to what a lot of fighters babble on about. If that was the case, I couldn't have enjoyed the Diaz, CMac scraps. 

It's part of the reason I respect guys like Stipe and GSP so much. 

57 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm such a massive striking fan that I love his style. Obvious that his weakness is on the ground. Imo, It wasn't the size difference that lost him the fight it was his lack of ground game and/or take down defence. Stipe, DC, Gracie, Fedor..many guys have had great success weighing less than their opponents

As for ego, I can understand that.

For example Jon Jones seems to be a very awful person but he might be the best to ever step foot in the cage. I don't pay too much attention to what a lot of fighters babble on about. If that was the case, I couldn't have enjoyed the Diaz, CMac scraps. 

It's part of the reason I respect guys like Stipe and GSP so much. 

I love watching Izzy. But I don't "cheer" for Izzy. I cheer for guys I like, even if they aren't necessarily the best. Probably explains the psychology of liking the Canucks as well. 

EDIT: Like I'd definitely cheer for DC over Jones... but if Jones and DC were fighting different opponents at the exact same time and I had to choose who to watch, I'm watching Jones basically every single time. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 1

No one watching the fights?

I'm rooting for Belal to win. Good on him to turnaround so quick and take the fight vs Edwards.. 

Was so looking forward to seeing Khamzat fight again..  hopefully he gets healthy and can continue his career and dominate.. 

I competed until I was 35 in Karate.

Lots of tournaments. I have competed and sparred ( kumite)  against hundreds of individuals in my life, also including boxing and Muay Thai.   I have never had an eye poke that caused any damage and a lot of guys have open loose hands, 

UFC needs to go to curved finger-less gloves similar to Karate style. I don't know what the BJJ guys would think of it but I don't care, I am  more a fan of stand up matches anyway and there are too many god damn eye pokes affecting the outcome of bouts.  

Edit: apparently the Bellator gloves are better. More UFC fighters are starting to call for changes. 

Edited by bishopshodan

On 3/6/2021 at 11:23 PM, Duodenum said:

Can't show up at 200 lbs and expect to beat a guy walking into the fight at 220. 

These lighter fighters get too cocky thinking that their punching power at their own weight will have even 75% of its effectiveness at a weight 30lbs higher. Not to mention the huge disadvantage on the ground.

Rory vs Mousasi definitely comes to mind. That was a one-sided $&!#-kicking. 

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Rory vs Mousasi definitely comes to mind. That was a one-sided $&!#-kicking. 

Its the wrestling ability more than the size diff imo regarding the Izzy fight. Rory went against one of the best all round guys in that fight....and size did matter. 

So many great HW's have been undersized for their div

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Atta boy Kelvin for stepping up.

If he can somehow get passed Bobby Knuckles then it should set up a rematch for with Izzy. Kelvin ( expect for Jan) gave Adesanya the hardest fight I've seen him have. Could be interesting. 

I'd even argue that Kelvin gave Izzy a harder fight than Jan. I get that Jan won and Kelvin lost, but Izzy-Gastelum was bordering on Rory-Robbie/Joanna-Zhang territory. 

I also might like the Gastelum-Whittaker fight a touch more than Costa.

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I'd even argue that Kelvin gave Izzy a harder fight than Jan. I get that Jan won and Kelvin lost, but Izzy-Gastelum was bordering on Rory-Robbie/Joanna-Zhang territory. 

I also might like the Gastelum-Whittaker fight a touch more than Costa.

I think you are right,

Really stoked to see this fight now, don't know where Kelvin is at but he won his last one after a bit of a skid. If somehow he gets by Whittaker. Well, if I'm Izzy, I'm a bit nervous. 

Fun. 

• Upvote 1

Cool, as a Karate nerd, I have to find a way to start watching this.

Used to watch Chuck Norris's fight league that produced some killer strikers like Wonderboy and Raymond Daniels. This seems similar.

Georges St-Pierre Returns To His Karate Roots With ‘Season Sensei’ Role for Karate Combat

https://mymmanews.com/georges-st-pierre-returns-to-his-karate-roots-with-season-sensei-role-for-karate-combat/

So Uncle Dana has finally come to grips with Khabib being retired. The title bout between Oliviera and Chandler tho, that seems to be a mistake imo. Chandler has 1 UFC win, but likely gets paid a lot per fight and who knows what is promised behind closed doors.

It should be Oliviera vs Porier for the title, but maybe Porier is chasing the trilogy money fight with McGregor instead? Fighters have a shelf life, so going after a money fight makes some sense, but to not fight for the title is a mistake also.

On 3/19/2021 at 1:32 PM, Canuckster86 said:

maybe Porier is chasing the trilogy money fight with McGregor instead? Fighters have a shelf life, so going after a money fight makes some sense, but to not fight for the title is a mistake also.

He is.

More and more fighters are caring less about the titles and just want to get paid. 

Can thank Uncle Dana for that. He's established a company where rankings don't matter and he uses titles shots as leverage.

I want Oliveira to get his shot but, I agree Chanler hasn't done enough in the UFC. It makes as much  sense as Masvidal getting another crack art Usman.  Dumb title fights.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Holland was funny for a minute before he just became a clown in my eyes. Keep talking if you can make things competitive, but you're getting embarrassed and acting like a clown to try and downplay the loss you're taking. 

Weird nut for sure.

He's too small for that div. As pointed out before, if you're small and your wrestling sucks it eventually will be a long night. 

Dana calling it a mental breakdown is a joke though. Holland is a fighter to the core and has fun with it. After all this time, maybe a wuss like Dana still can't understand men that are truly fearless. 

He has already called out Belal wants to get going at 170. 

Edited by bishopshodan