The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Holland dominated again because he only trains the things that he thinks are fun. 

Why don't these strikers realise that it is MMA? Holland is already calling Vettori and Brunson 'humpers', maybe he should go into kick boxing. 

Same with Machida on Friday, also a BJJ black belt like Holland but once you're under a big better wrestler it becomes a long night. Gotta learn to get up of the canvas. 

BTW, Bader didn't look good in my eyes. He could not stand with Machida so had to go to his great wrestling. But for the heavy weight champ to have to win on points vs a 42 yr old that normally competes at 185...I dunno if he will be in the finals of that grand prix. 

14 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Why don't these strikers realise that it is MMA? Holland is already calling Vettori and Brunson 'humpers', maybe he should go into kick boxing. 

Same with Machida on Friday, also a BJJ black belt like Holland but once you're under a big better wrestler it becomes a long night. Gotta learn to get up of the canvas. 

BTW, Bader didn't look good in my eyes. He could not stand with Machida so had to go to his great wrestling. But for the heavy weight champ to have to win on points vs a 42 yr old that normally competes at 185...I dunno if he will be in the finals of that grand prix. 

I always hated the "wrestlers are boring" narrative. It takes two to make a boring fight. It's your job to stop the takedown, not to whine about it after a bunch of 10-8s. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/11/2021 at 8:19 AM, Down by the River said:

I always hated the "wrestlers are boring" narrative. It takes two to make a boring fight. It's your job to stop the takedown, not to whine about it after a bunch of 10-8s. 

It's the Khabib effect.  The (former) best wrestler in the UFC is (or was) the most active fighters on the ground.  The Eagle never stayed put for more than 3 seconds, constantly moving and taking chances to try and improve position.  In terms of pure wrestling, he beats out DC or GSP in terms of skill and entertainment.

When the bar is set that high, it's easy to understand why every other wrestling match comes off a bit boring.  Vettori did fine, though.  A dominant (if not entirely entertaining) performance.

Yeah, it was a good Bellator.

I thought Corey Anderson looked amazing, Nemkov is the real deal, and it was cool to see Semtex back at it looking great and weathering an early storm.

This grand prix tourny is fun and full of talent that could compete with the 205 class of the UFC easily. IMO, Dana screwed up not retaining some of them. 

More scraps tonight with UFC at the same time as the youtube celeb death matches. Frank Mir is 276lbs and looks like the hulk. 

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, it was a good Bellator.

I thought Corey Anderson looked amazing, Nemkov is the real deal, and it was cool to see Semtex back at it looking great and weathering an early storm.

This grand prix tourny is fun and full of talent that could compete with the 205 class of the UFC easily. IMO, Dana screwed up not retaining some of them. 

More scraps tonight with UFC at the same time as the youtube celeb death matches. Frank Mir is 276lbs and looks like the hulk. 

Bellator seem to have some decent talent now and its not just tomato cans and former UFC legends who are now over the hill... but their production quality just makes me feel like I watching something lesser than the UFC. Even One FC's broadcast is better. I don't know whether its all the different logos, different shaped cage/gloves... but something is off.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Bellator seem to have some decent talent now and its not just tomato cans and former UFC legends who are now over the hill... but their production quality just makes me feel like I watching something lesser than the UFC. Even One FC's broadcast is better. I don't know whether its all the different logos, different shaped cage/gloves... but something is off.

I can see that,

One thing I do like is the circular cage. 

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Triller fight club...= worst announcing crew of all time. What a weird event.

Triller fight club = $&!# show..

Boxing has hit the gutter.

Im going back and forth between UFC 

Mostly UFC.. every time i got over to triller its just cringe..

I watchee Frank Mirs whole fight.. gotta give it to him. Went the distance with a former world champ who put Tyson Fury down. Props to Mir...

• Cheers 1

Here we go. I like both tjese guys. Im rooting for Robert Whittaker. Really love him as a person and a fighter..

Id like to see him go against Adesanya again. He was coming off a bad injury and a long lay off.. need to see that one run back...

• Cheers 1

Logan v Askren what a joke.....

Askren looked like an out of shape librarian and took a shot to the chops and the ref calls it asap.

Now we're stuck listening to Paul run his mouth some more until he actually fights a genuine fighter

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Logan v Askren what a joke.....

Askren looked like an out of shape librarian and took a shot to the chops and the ref calls it asap.

Now we're stuck listening to Paul run his mouth some more until he actually fights a genuine fighter

I pretty sure his name is Jake, not Logan. Ben Askren is a clown who just wanted the money. He did not care whatsoever and should've never been there fighting Jake.

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I pretty sure his name is Jake, not Logan. Ben Askren is a clown who just wanted the money. He did not care whatsoever and should've never been there fighting Jake.

I think Askren took him for a ride. Joke is on Jake. 

Went home with likely near a mil for no work. Had hip surgery in Dec. He didn't look like he trained. Heck, the punch almost looked like a dive. I was surprised the ref stopped it. That whole event looked like it was produced by teenagers. Pete Davidson was openly mocking how garbage it all was. I was not prepared for how bad it was despite all the musical talent they had going.

Did it ever make UFC look good. Seeing the level of combat at the UFC event last night compared to that joke of a boxing show was drastic.

Bobby Knuckles looked soo good. Don't know if he will be able to beat the magician that is Adesanya but I can't wait for the re-match.  

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1