The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

I love seeing Karate get the respect again that it always deserved.

I competed in Karate during the earlier days of the rise of UFC. I was working in Van nightclubs and knew many 'real' fighters. I would hear the comments about how Karate wasn't applicable in real situations. I would debate and mention I had a boxing background and was training partner for my bud that competed in Muay Thai. I suppose I was feeling a bit insecure despite competing a lot at a high level. I won a bunch. I finally was asked to come train with some MMA guys at a local gym. Some of them also competed in Shanshou.

I earned respect immediately. I walked through most of them in stand up sparring, I didn't mind going hard, and loved learning to roll with them. Some of the best years of my life. Machida won the belt around that time and GSP was talking a lot about his roots so I made sure to point this out to my friends and peers.

So, it's cool for me to see the legend Bas talk about the art I love. 

https://www.givemesport.com/88025549-bas-rutten-ufc-mma-karate-combat

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I got through about a min of that.

I'd be drunk too if I had to fight Alex.

Sean the sacrificial lamb. 

That said, I hope he pulls off the upset just to mess with Dana's fast track plans for Pereira

That’s Sober Strickland In every interview. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, UFCanuck said:

That’s Sober Strickland In every interview. 

I know, I'm well aware of his shtick. He adds some fun to the show. He is a sick striker too, hope he doesn't freeze up like his last victory. Fight with ego, like Izzy suggested. That said he portrays a terrible person. Guy needs to take a break from the internet.

My picks for tonight.

Stylebender.

Blessed.

Poatan

Ruthless.

Sugar.

I know it won't happen next but I would like to see Usman vs Adesanya for one of the belts. Adesanya has height but he is a toothpick so I am sure he could cut to 170, when he went up to LHW he was outmatch size wise. Hope Adesanya loses if he fight Perreira next, just not a fan of him his fight have been boring to watch lately. Reminds me of Woodley as champ.

13 hours ago, Van40 said:

Alex Perrera with an impressive knockout of Strickland

Pereira's nickname 'Po Atan' thus translates as 'Stone Hand' and is marked by a tattooed collection of rocks and pebbles on his left hand.

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I know it won't happen next but I would like to see Usman vs Adesanya for one of the belts. Adesanya has height but he is a toothpick so I am sure he could cut to 170, when he went up to LHW he was outmatch size wise. Hope Adesanya loses if he fight Perreira next, just not a fan of him his fight have been boring to watch lately. Reminds me of Woodley as champ.

Usman and Izzy are part of the 3 kings with Ngannou ( Africa). So, Usman will not fight Izzy. In fact, Usman has talked multiple times, including last week, about jumping to light heavyweight. Two divisions up to avoid Stylebender.

Izzy is nothing like Woodley. At all. Israel is one of the best strikers to ever set foot in the cage. He is levels above most and has the highlights to prove it. Comparing him to Woodley is far off. Tyron is a wrestler with a heavy hand ( at one time). Not even in the league with the man that deserves the nickname Stylebender. 

Periera could be a test for Izzy but he is still very new to mma. He doesn't show it much but Izzy can grapple and is also strong. He has more weapons and a lot of time has passed. Izzy was doing pretty good in their kick boxing matches too, before he got 'frozen like Elsa'.

3 hours ago, UFCanuck said:

Is O’Henry Cejudo another ingredient in cooking with Volk? 

Remember to finely dice that b@tch up.

:goat:

Volk is soo good. Like really, really, everyone pay attention good.

I know max has short arms for a tall dude in that division but Volk standing at 5'6 was in and out with his speed at will.

Tripe C might be the only man to stop him. Cejudo mixes Karate with his insane level of wrestling. It's a deadly style mix. Karate striking gives him distance and his wrestling can be imposed on any foe when needed.

• Cheers 2

okay, regardless Izzy is a boring fight to watch recently...not exactly what you expect from a division champion. I avoid his fights, watched Jan beat him in LHW but since then Izzy does enough to win but doesn't make it exciting to watch for a casual fan, I am sure if your in the MMA world you can pick it a part and see how he wins

20 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

One thing I found super lame about Izzy last night was that dumb walkout.

People are loving it but I thought it was soo bad.

WWE is cringe, I can't understand anyone that enjoys pretend fighting. 

I am not going to criticize champions for fighting a style that maximizes their chance of winning. When you're at the top, you should do whatever makes sense to keep you there.

But when you go around talking about how you're going to kill guys and have massively flamboyant walk-outs, only to sit behind your jab and your reach advantage, it makes for quite the paradox. The walkouts that try so hard always suck anyway. Give me a DC/GSP sprint to the octagon. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I am not going to criticize champions for fighting a style that maximizes their chance of winning. When you're at the top, you should do whatever makes sense to keep you there.

But when you go around talking about how you're going to kill guys and have massively flamboyant walk-outs, only to sit behind your jab and your reach advantage, it makes for quite the paradox. The walkouts that try so hard always suck anyway. Give me a DC/GSP sprint to the octagon. 

That's how it's done!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Izzy is best consumed by not listening to him talk. I'm like that for a few fighters. Love them in the cage but only care what they say if they are talking technique.

Izzy dominated Jared (49-46, 49-46, 50-45). Out struck him and nullified any wrestling. Jared is a beast, deserved to be top contender. Stylebender has cleaned out the division, now they have had to go get the monster kickboxer to fast track to a title fight.

Izzy shouldn't yap too much and does look silly when he doesn't get the finish he predicted but many dominant champs in history run their mouths. Top of the hill was the great Ali.

As for walk outs or pomp and circumstance, I'm with you but I do remember the great Pride shows.

Remember the announcer? and just look at these legends.

Edit: haha, I hadn't clicked on the vid in the post above!, same announcer.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

On 7/3/2022 at 1:52 PM, bishopshodan said:

One thing I found super lame about Izzy last night was that dumb walkout.

People are loving it but I thought it was soo bad.

WWE is cringe, I can't understand anyone that enjoys pretend fighting. 

Canucks coach is one of WWE's biggest fans

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Canucks coach is one of WWE's biggest fans

Random, my wife was just telling me about seeing Bruce being a fan boy about a WWE guy as I was noticing your notification.

Haha, I knew that about BB. It's why he brought in the 'belt' last year for the hardest working Canuck to achieve after every game.

I guess it's one of the few things I dont like about BB because I love our coach. 

Pro wrestling seems like something kids could be into but people should grow out of.

I was a huge fan when I was young in the best days, mid 80's. The WWF had Hogan, Savage, Andre etc...they even had a Saturday morning cartoon that was awesome.

• Cheers 1

Any one watched the Izzy v Pereira kickboxing fights?

Fight 2. Izzy is right, he was having a good fight. Man his style has changed. lots of looping right hands.

At 10:07 Alex gets a standing 8. He would have been done in a cage fight.

I like Izzy's chances in an MMA match.. big time.