The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

We got just under a foot on the ground here in my yard. Not good snow for snowmen but is great for our sled run by the side of the house. Weather Network says it is cold until Thursday, but looking at the maps and satellite pics....I don't see what they see. I think the cold will persist longer than that...

its -16 here without the wind chill. and 2 weeks ago it was 12 above, disgusting

I don't know where you are...you said you are not in BC..but if the windchill drops to -16 here on the coast it is like -40 in the interior.

I don't know where you are...you said you are not in BC..but if the windchill drops to -16 here on the coast it is like -40 in the interior.

no it doesn't. ive been in vancouver in the winter and northern alberta in the winter. northern alberta is definately colder. the wet air does make it feel colder but that i am almost certain is already calculated into the wind chill.

-40 is cold. really damn cold.

Edited by >you

Dear general public: I know it's only an inch of snow on the ground and it partially melts during the day, but please at least run a shovel through your walk and the road. When that snow compacts under people walking or cars' tires, it doesn't matter how little of the white stuff there is -- it's gonna turn to a layer of ice.

I saw some people take a tumble around my neighborhood because of that. It doesn't have to be hardcore shoveling. Just a one-handed push of the shovel, like a dry scrape before a shootout.

Edited by BuckyHermit

Dear general public: I know it's only an inch of snow on the ground and it partially melts during the day, but please at least run a shovel through your walk and the road. When that snow compacts under people walking or cars' tires, it doesn't matter how little of the white stuff there is -- it's gonna turn to a layer of ice.

I saw some people take a tumble around my neighborhood because of that. It doesn't have to be hardcore shoveling. Just a one-handed push of the shovel, like a dry scrape before a shootout.

If it's just an inch of snow, it should be gone in no time. No lie. I understand that people here can't handle winter, but it's fine. You can just drive over it and it'll actually probably melt. The snow just isn't thick enough.

If it's just an inch of snow, it should be gone in no time. No lie. I understand that people here can't handle winter, but it's fine. You can just drive over it and it'll actually probably melt. The snow just isn't thick enough.

Residents have an obligation to make sure that their sidewalks are cleared of snow before 10am after a snow day - failure to do so is a civic bylaw violation.

As well, if someone gets injured walking on your patch of sidewalk, you're liable for injuries.

Residents have an obligation to make sure that their sidewalks are cleared of snow before 10am after a snow day - failure to do so is a civic bylaw violation.

As well, if someone gets injured walking on your patch of sidewalk, you're liable for injuries.

That's insane. Just wait until the snow really comes down and the snowbanks come.

In just about every other city, the snowbanks in suburban areas prevent people from using the sidewalk. It wasn't dangerous either, since nobody was stupid enough to drive fast.

That is a really stupid bylaw though.

That's insane. Just wait until the snow really comes down and the snowbanks come.

In just about every other city, the snowbanks in suburban areas prevent people from using the sidewalk. It wasn't dangerous either, since nobody was stupid enough to drive fast.

Think of the mail man!

If someone walks up to your place, slips and breaks their neck, and sues you, would you still think it's stupid?

It's common sense, and it's basic exercise, what's the problem?

Feeling lazy? Buy some salt, clear what you can and apply salt.

Think of the mail man!

Won't someone please think of the mail man!!!!

HelenLovejoy.jpg

Speaking of the clearing of the walks...how does it work for people who are disabled or elderly? If they don't have family to help them, that must suck.

So, people if you have a disabled or elderly neighbour...think of them and give them a hand, will yah?

Won't someone please think of the disabled and elderly neighbours!

HelenLovejoy.jpg

Not everyone drives. In fact, some people make it a point to avoid driving in the snow. Hence, driving over even a teeny bit of snow would result in ice, which could result in people slipping. Again, I saw so many people nearly slip on the black ice caused by compressed snow in my neighborhood.

Ice is slippery in any quantity.

Edited by BuckyHermit