The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

Sure is! I just went out for coffee - some of those sidewalks are pretty slippery!

My brother just called me telling me that the roads are impassable and I need to come home right away in case I get stranded :lol: :lol:

It's not that bad.

I want to go sledding tonight. I'm thinking that the hill on the first hole at gorge vale will be pretty good.

If someone walks up to your place, slips and breaks their neck, and sues you, would you still think it's stupid?

It's common sense, and it's basic exercise, what's the problem?

Feeling lazy? Buy some salt, clear what you can and apply salt.

I don't have a shovel.

Oh, and since I am in a place where the house is subdivided into three, with three (minimum) sets of people, how do we figure out who is responsible?

My brother just called me telling me that the roads are impassable and I need to come home right away in case I get stranded :lol: :lol:

It's not that bad.

I want to go sledding tonight. I'm thinking that the hill on the first hole at gorge vale will be pretty good.

Unless you need to drive over the Malahat without winter tires, I'd call that an overreaction. :lol:

The road/sidewalk crews here are having a hard time keeping up. They can't really get into the patient parking lot because of the cars already parked in it, and sidewalks are white again two minutes after they're cleared.

Unless you need to drive over the Malahat without winter tires, I'd call that an overreaction. :lol:

The road/sidewalk crews here are having a hard time keeping up. They can't really get into the patient parking lot because of the cars already parked in it, and sidewalks are white again two minutes after they're cleared.

Yeah I lol'd. I'm up near UVic and my house is in vic west. I figure I'm just going to take Shelbourne to Bay and go that way. There's a small hill at Quadra/bay but other than that it's completely flat. I have all season tires on too so it should be fine.

You cannot rely on the Weather Network 5 days in advance. Heck you can't even rely on them 2 days in advance.

The weather network is terrible 5 days in advance, and their temperatures are ALWAYS significantly higher 5 days out. In the summer it's not uncommon to see temps like this:

Mon - 26

Tues - 25

Wed - 25

Thurs - 29

Fri - 35

Of course the next day, Friday is projected for 29 and Saturday is 37. The day after that, Friday is down to 25. When Friday rolls around, it comes in at 24.

Residents have an obligation to make sure that their sidewalks are cleared of snow before 10am after a snow day - failure to do so is a civic bylaw violation.

As well, if someone gets injured walking on your patch of sidewalk, you're liable for injuries.

That depends upon the municipality.

In Vancouver they recently amended the bylaws to include residential owners.

In Burnaby it refers to commercial property and multi unit residences.

Time to break some records:

Vancouver has a chance to break a 25-year-old cold-weather record on Tuesday by a chilly four degrees.

Environment Canada forecaster Gary Dickinson predicts a daytime high of -6° C on Tuesday, which would smash the record -1.9° C high on Nov. 23, 1985 by more than four degrees.

“There is an arctic ridge of high pressure over the entire province. Temperatures are chilly and below normal,” he said Monday.

Dickinson said conditions are expected to remain cool until warmer temperatures arrive on Thursday night, bringing rain.

Vancouver is expected to reach a high of -2° C on Monday, which is unseasonably cold, but a lot more agreeable than other places in the country.

It was a frigid -26° C in Fort Nelson on Monday; in Edmonton, site of Sunday’s Grey Cup game, it was -25° C.

http://www.theprovince.com/technology/cold+record+breaker+Tuesday/3867383/story.html#ixzz1638XAqYu

I don't have a shovel.

Oh, and since I am in a place where the house is subdivided into three, with three (minimum) sets of people, how do we figure out who is responsible?

I suppose the owner of the lot would be...and if everyone owns a bit of the house, then as the lawyers say - sue the living hell out of everyone!

I suppose the owner of the lot would be...and if everyone owns a bit of the house, then as the lawyers say - sue the living hell out of everyone!

While I did shovel the walk in front of the house the one time I was the principal resident of a place the rule is completely un manageble. It's meant for a society with one family living in a house they own, not three families living in houses that are investement properties in another country.

Apparently some of the buses have stopped running. Camosun closed early and half the buses leaving the Interurban campus (the ones that head toward Tillicum) weren't running. My bf started walking from Camosun toward Tillicum Mall (where his car was) and was lucky enough to get a ride there from someone passing by.

Some roads have been closed too, until road crews can address the hill sections.

http://www.timescolonist.com/Snowy+conditions+causing+havoc+with+traffic/3867457/story.html