The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

That claim is only available to those of us born in 1951 or earlier.

I had to walk uphill in the snow from Commercial, up Venables to Victoria...and then downhill....let me tell you...no easy feat, in the knee high snow, with that incline and decline, as a munchkin.

It's waay too cold outside. I just have to walk 10 blocks to and from school and it takes me about half an hour to defrost. It's the afternoon and its only -3C. ARRGHH.

laugh.gif I was frozen to the bone when a constant breeze came by when walking up a hill where i live, IT'S PAINFUL!

Waited half n hour for a the 50 outside of Uptown because cars were getting stuck coming up the intersection..

FREAKING COLD.

My hands feel numb and I'm still freezing.

Yes it's time to trade in your Hawaiian shirts for winter clothing.

:shock:

Shocking concept I know.

If someone walks up to your place, slips and breaks their neck, and sues you, would you still think it's stupid?

It's common sense, and it's basic exercise, what's the problem?

Feeling lazy? Buy some salt, clear what you can and apply salt.

It's obvious you've never been to colder parts of the world. I've never heard of such a ridiculous rule where you have to salt your sidewalk.

Trust me. If Vancouver had blizzards or six months of winter, ice would almost be a non-factor.

It's not like it's really our fault that there's ice on the road, so why should it be our responsibility to clean it? Where are the sidewalk salting services? Bad winter preparation, imo.

It's obvious you've never been to colder parts of the world. I've never heard of such a ridiculous rule where you have to salt your sidewalk.

Trust me. If Vancouver had blizzards or six months of winter, ice would almost be a non-factor.

It's not like it's really our fault that there's ice on the road, so why should it be our responsibility to clean it? Where are the sidewalk salting services? Bad winter preparation, imo.

I don't think he's you have to salt your sidewalk but you need to clear it of any snow and if there is ice/hard snow you need to deal with that as well.

Salt is an easy solution, you could also use sand for traction.

As for colder parts of the world Edmonton which is a frozen wasteland has similar bylaws:

Snow and ice on sidewalks are dangerous for everyone, especially seniors and the disabled. That is why the Community Standards Bylaw requires that you clear the public walks around your property down to the pavement within 48 hours of a snowfall.

Property owners are also responsible for clearing snow from every walk and driveway on or beside a property with buildings normally occupied by people, including derelict buildings.

When you remove snow promptly after a snowfall, you play an important role in keeping our city moving safely in difficult weather.

Freeze-thaw Cycles

While properly removing snow prevents a build-up of ice over the winter, freeze-thaw weather cycles cause water from melting snow to run on to cleared walks. The water then becomes ice when the temperature drops.

You are still required to keep the walks around your property safe during freeze-thaw cycles, either by keeping them ice-free or by spreading sand or gravel to give pedestrians traction.

To help you keep your walks safe, the City provides free sand that can be picked up from green boxes outside your nearest Community League.

http://www.edmonton.ca/bylaws_licences/bylaws/sidewalk-snow-removal.aspx