The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

It's obvious you've never been to colder parts of the world. I've never heard of such a ridiculous rule where you have to salt your sidewalk.

Trust me. If Vancouver had blizzards or six months of winter, ice would almost be a non-factor.

It's not like it's really our fault that there's ice on the road, so why should it be our responsibility to clean it? Where are the sidewalk salting services? Bad winter preparation, imo.

It's cheaper and easier to legislate the snow away. Seems odd that in a region where walking and transit as supposed to trump taking a car that they have a plan to keep the roads clear but not the sidewalks. I guess it's just easier to pass the buck.

I don't think he's you have to salt your sidewalk but you need to clear it of any snow and if there is ice/hard snow you need to deal with that as well.

Salt is an easy solution, you could also use sand for traction.

As for colder parts of the world Edmonton which is a frozen wasteland has similar bylaws:

http://www.edmonton....ow-removal.aspx

Free sand? Yeah, right. This is Vancouver. I've seen them try to clean snow, it's laughable.

^ yeah i wonder if the power will survive the night

pretty strong winds again.

my lights have been flickering and the windows are about to give out too!

i have never experienced such cold temperatures. it is so hard to even step outside the house

Relax, I'm pretty sure you've experienced worse IN VANCOUVER. It's just because it's November and the weather's a bit cold. Trust me. -6 will feel warm by the time real winter comes.

Power outages confuse me though. What the hell is BC doing that a bit of cold wind is wiping out all power? Another fail in preparation.

Edited by SlayerS_BoxeR

That's insane. Just wait until the snow really comes down and the snowbanks come.

In just about every other city, the snowbanks in suburban areas prevent people from using the sidewalk. It wasn't dangerous either, since nobody was stupid enough to drive fast.

That is a really stupid bylaw though.

If it's just an inch of snow, it should be gone in no time. No lie. I understand that people here can't handle winter, but it's fine. You can just drive over it and it'll actually probably melt. The snow just isn't thick enough.

I don't think -6 is enough for the snow to get cold. I still think that's packing snow territory.

We can start complaining about road conditions when the snow comes to my knees or if it gets to -10.

I notice that some of the puddles were JUST starting to freeze over. You know, that really thin layer of ice when you put water in a cold fridge?

I've already lost my sense of what cold REALLY is. 2 degrees is not cold.

DL_Panda, is that you?

Relax, I'm pretty sure you've experienced worse IN VANCOUVER. It's just because it's November and the weather's a bit cold. Trust me. -6 will feel warm by the time real winter comes.

Power outages confuse me though. What the hell is BC doing that a bit of cold wind is wiping out all power? Another fail in preparation.

dumbed down:

when a component of an electrical system (in this case, a very large electrical system) goes down, the power shuts off automatically to prevent more serious damage due to overloading and such (much in the same way as fuses)

dumbed down:

when a component of an electrical system (in this case, a very large electrical system) goes down, the power shuts off automatically to prevent more serious damage due to overloading and such (much in the same way as fuses)

WHAT?

One of the largest and most complex power grid in the country can fail?

I hate these temps; too cold for normal clothing but yet still way too warm for me to bust out my real cold weather gear.

All you folks complaining about the cold, get some fleece and some warm mitts! Gloves are inadequate if your hands are going to be constantly exposed outside in real cold, I might wear thin gloves under my mitts in case I need to take them out for finer tasks but I've found even the thickest gloves by themselves won't help for long.