The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Based on the forecast, it’s going to get really cold at the end of next week.

Showing it getting colder out here in the Kootenay's too but nothing really out of the normal for this time of year. I'm just hoping that once the cold weather passes that we get a couple of decent snow events to increase the snow pack levels for our area. That is vital to many of the lakes and streams in our area that many in the area fish and boat on

• Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

In my ideal world, the ice fields in the Rockies would be seeing gradual growth over this winter and the next few decades, so that the receding glaciers would reverse their trend, and the Prairies would get better flow from snow melting in the Rockies, so that they don't become the next new desert.  

I would love to see that as well but does not appear likely to happen. If the warming trend continues our water resources in Canada are going to be in great demand and that could become a big problem.

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would love to see that as well but does not appear likely to happen. If the warming trend continues our water resources in Canada are going to be in great demand and that could become a big problem.

The US has, awhile back iirc, with approval of Canada, secured Canadian water when they need it. With climate change looming and water scarcity, we should all be concerned about our water security in the future. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Snowfall warning for Metro Vancouver:

Snowfall warning in effect for:

• Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley

Snowfall with total accumulation of 5 to 15 cm across B.C. south coast from tonight to Sunday afternoon.

A cool airmass associated with a low pressure system will bring snow or rain beginning this evening on Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast and late this evening or midnight for the Lower Mainland and Malahat Highway.

The mixed precipitation will change to snow by early Sunday morning as precipitation rates increase.

The complex terrain around the south coast will result in varied snowfall totals across the region. Communities immediately near the water such as Comox, Parksville, Nanaimo and downtown Vancouver will see up to 5 cm of snow. Higher elevations and inland sections of Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley - West, Vancouver Island and Sunshine Coast will see higher accumulations.

At this time, elevations near 300 metres of Metro Vancouver could see up to 10 cm of snow. Inland and higher elevations of East Vancouver Island - Campbell River to Courtenay could see 10 to 15 cm.

The Malahat Highway will see 10 cm of snow between tonight and Sunday afternoon.

Snow will change to rain or become mixed with rain late Sunday afternoon.

Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions. Rapidly accumulating snow could make travel difficult over some locations. If visibility is reduced while driving, turn on your lights and maintain a safe following distance.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

On 1/14/2021 at 7:47 AM, bishopshodan said:

Mother nature issuing lock down orders for Sask.

Blizzard conditions cause closures, power outages throughout southern Sask.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/blizzard-conditions-cause-closures-power-outages-throughout-southern-sask-1.5266545

I wonder if Brock Lesnar is prepared?:P  Though he has been living in Sask. for a number of years now.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Rain at the airport in Powell river.

Too bad, I was hoping for a bit of snow, for a day.

Me too. Was hoping for a snow day today. But we’re just getting mixed rain and snow, and mostly rain, so no accumulation.

My kids are bummed. :( 

If nothing sticks this week, I’m probably gonna have to take them up the mountain next weekend to build a snowman and have a snowball fight.

Would be a weird year for Vancouver to basically get zero snow all winter. We usually get at least one good dump in January or February, but the long term forecast is not looking too good (other than maybe a dusting sometime this week). Maybe mid-late February, we still get a cold snap, but I’m seeing nothing yet in the models, so that’s just wishful thinking.

I know most people around here hope for no snow, but I actually like it. Especially for my kids, but I also enjoy a little taste of winter, and I like driving in snow, so I’m somebody who gets a little excited when I see those flakes on the weather forecast. 

So, if I’m being honest, it’s not just the kids who are a little bummed today. :( 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Me too. Was hoping for a snow day today. But we’re just getting mixed rain and snow, and mostly rain, so no accumulation.

My kids are bummed. :( 

If nothing sticks this week, I’m probably gonna have to take them up the mountain next weekend to build a snowman and have a snowball fight.

Would be a weird year for Vancouver to basically get zero snow all winter. We usually get at least one good dump in January or February, but the long term forecast is not looking too good (other than maybe a dusting sometime this week). Maybe mid-late February, we still get a cold snap, but I’m seeing nothing yet in the models, so that’s just wishful thinking.

I know most people around here hope for no snow, but I actually like it. Especially for my kids, but I also enjoy a little taste of winter, and I like driving in snow, so I’m somebody who gets a little excited when I see those flakes on the weather forecast. 

So, if I’m being honest, it’s not just the kids who are a little bummed today. :( 

I wanted the forecasted 2-5 cms, and more, just to go for a walk in.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It seems like Environment Canada is wrong once again. They had said, “Snowfall with total accumulation of 5 to 15 cm across B.C. south coast from tonight to Sunday afternoon.“ But it’s looking like we barely got 0.1 cm here in Metro Vancouver.

The only thing less accurate than a Dion Phaneuf point shot is a Metro Vancouver snow forecast.

• Cheers 1