The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

haha yeah, and we all know skytrain runs soooo smoothly every time it snows

SkyTrain's main problem are the freezing track switches during snow, particularly the track switch at Columbia that diverts trains to the Expo and Milllennium. Trains overshooting is rarely a problem when it snows as full automation is turned off to semi-automated with drivers, and the track intrusion system at statopms is also turned off.

They were going to install a roof over the Columbia track switch in time for this winter season, but they couldn't find the money to do it ($300,000).

SkyTrain's main problem are the freezing track switches during snow, particularly the track switch at Columbia that diverts trains to the Expo and Milllennium. Trains overshooting is rarely a problem when it snows as full automation is turned off to semi-automated with drivers, and the track intrusion system at statopms is also turned off.

They were going to install a roof over the Columbia track switch in time for this winter season, but they couldn't find the money to do it ($300,000).

Nothing that a tarp can`t solve for now!

On the bright side, the Evergreen Line seems to be steam rolling ahead. It's like the new BC Place roof (which btw, will go ahead as planned).

Great! Hopefully they will also start boring a tunnel out to UBC in the near future as well!!

^ those guys are idiots, especially Trasolini and the pro-LRT activists.

It's going to be SkyTrain. At this point, Evergreen is Campbell's new baby just as the Canada Line was for the last 6 years and nothing is going to stop it as long as Campbell is in power....which fits perfectly, considering construction will be starting this time next year if all goes according to plan.

How long does a bus engine last compared to the bus frame?

Both are 15 years. At the very most, 20.

A problem with our buses is that the metal bends quite a bit when it turns, which loosens the screws and such.....on top of vibrations from the engine.

Both are 15 years. At the very most, 20.

A problem with our buses is that the metal bends quite a bit when it turns, which loosens the screws and such.....on top of vibrations from the engine.

But how much of the engine is rebuilt?

But if the bus engine lasts 15 years after being used everyday, how come car manufacturers make cars that last just as long?

And when you say our buses, do other buses not have self loosening screws?

But how much of the engine is rebuilt?

But if the bus engine lasts 15 years after being used everyday, how come car manufacturers make cars that last just as long?

And when you say our buses, do other buses not have self loosening screws?

I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I think it's how they are bolted/screwed/assembled. I know for a fact that European and Asian buses don't have this problem....and if we bought European buses (Volvo or BMW) they'd probably last 25-years....i especially love Volvo transit buses.

Nova Bus from Quebec is marginally better than the crappy New Flyers.

I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I think it's how they are bolted/screwed/assembled. I know for a fact that European and Asian buses don't have this problem....and if we bought European buses (Volvo or BMW) they'd probably last 25-years....i especially love Volvo transit buses.

Nova Bus from Quebec is marginally better than the crappy New Flyers.

I'm guessing we just buy them cuz they are Canadian?