The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

• 2 weeks later...

A good read/some thoughts from Burr. Can never have too much of that:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/11/21/canucks-hat-trick-want-candor-about-player-development-alex-burrows-explains-it-best/

When it comes to talking about the Vancouver Canucks and player development , particularly forwards, it always seems to be a lively topic. And one of the more spirited in this discussion this week was Alex Burrows, a couple of days before he sat out Thursday night’s game against the Ducks. Burrows was asked to talk about his development, given he and Ryan Kesler have essentially been the last young players who have actually upgraded their careers as Canucks, and his answer was so long and so thorough we didn’t have the space to use it until today. Hence, in stream of consciousness, Burr’s thoughts on this topic kick off our three issues surrounding the beloved team …

alexburrow1s-e1416589853773.jpg?w=460&h=

1. “I think you need the opportunity to play but it’s not only on the organization, it’s on the player to find a way to help you stick around and find a role that you can hang around. When I first came nobody saw me as a goal scorer or a top-six forward. Deep down, I thought maybe I could one day. But I noticed that Jarkko (Ruutu) was out and Matt Cooke was out and we needed an energy guy on the fourth line in my first year to come in, play well on the PK, and stir up and be an agitator, create energy in our building and go after the other team’s best guy early on. I didn’t want to go back to the minors. I didn’t want to go back to the East Coast (league) so I was pretty much willing to do whatever it took to stick around and it made me a bad rep (reputation) with other players because I chirped a lot. But I was only trying to help my team and stick around as long as I could.

“It was like that for a while and then, I think it was in my third year, I got on the third line with Kes (Ryan Kesler) and Jarkko and we started to be a checking line a little bit, and started playing well against the other team’s top line, getting under their skin and playing them hard. Then, I think that year (2007-08) I scored 12 goals but we missed the playoffs. And the following year it started the same way when AV (head coach Alain Vigneault), he split Kes and I and put Kes with Demo (Pavol Demitra) and Mats (Sundin). And me … I went with the twins and that’s when I started to use more of my offensive skills instead of being more of an agitator. But I always wanted to help the team as much as possible. I find some young guys now, they think, “I was a 50-goal scorer in junior, I’m going to score 50 goals in the NHL,’ or if they don’t they’re going to start pointing fingers or blaming management or coaches or agents or anyone instead of looking in the mirror and trying to figure out how can I stick around and help this team. But that’s the way I came in and I think Kevin (Bieksa) was pretty much the same way.”

If you think about the end of his answer, Burrows is probably referring to a departed teammate but then, that’s just reading into it when perhaps this shouldn’t happen.

A great attitude that I'm sure rubs off on the young guys coming in. The message just contribute in whatever way you can is a good one.

• Upvote 2

Burrows Has potential to be more then he has shown this year which has been a dramatic improvement in confidence since last season. I think as the season goes on we will see Burr establish himself again as a leader on this team through his tenacity and hard work. I wouldn't mind seeing him back on the PP with the Sedins every once in a while but the option isn't really there right now with the way the PP is going you don't want to mess with it.

Would like to hear about the other three points you speak of I see point 1. Where is 2,3?

• Upvote 1

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/11/21/canucks-hat-trick-want-candor-about-player-development-alex-burrows-explains-it-best/

I find some young guys now, they think, I was a 50-goal scorer in junior, Im going to score 50 goals in the NHL, or if they dont theyre going to start pointing fingers or blaming management or coaches or agents or anyone instead of looking in the mirror and trying to figure out how can I stick around and help this team. But thats the way I came in and I think Kevin (Bieksa) was pretty much the same way.

If you think about the end of his answer, Burrows is probably referring to a departed teammate but then, thats just reading into it when perhaps this shouldnt happen.

If I had to guess, I think the last part was directed at Hodgson and/or Schroeder. Hopefully its not about any of our current young guys.

Although, I do agree with the statement.

I left the other points in the link Bertorama, and I agree with your thoughts.

I don't read that part as a shot at the current young guys at all FM (as suggested with the "stick around and help this team" part). I'm thinking it's a general statement that could also reflect on some departures.

I love Burrows, but if we could trade him to Pit for a good defensive prospect (Pouliot or Harrington) I would be ok with it. Opens space for Horvat and Jensen.

Ditto with Bieksa going to Toronto.

I only want to trade them to teams that they would want to go too. Both have been warriors for the canucks. My view even without the no trades.

Happy If we keep them too.

First of all, I am a huge fan of Burr... I think the organization owes him a debt for his past play and low salary... they should be patient with him this year.

Burr is still snake-bit with the injuries, but he is trying hard and doing what he can.

Probably he needs to be a little more restrained with the agitation... it is getting him too many penalties and those are costing the team.

He also needs to focus on playing his position, not getting caught by a speedy forward... leave starting an offensive rush for his line more to Bonino and Higgins.

I'd like to see him more on the penalty kill... but maybe the coach is trying to rest him for his regular shift.

I love Burrows, but if we could trade him to Pit for a good defensive prospect (Pouliot or Harrington) I would be ok with it. Opens space for Horvat and Jensen.

Ditto with Bieksa going to Toronto.

I only want to trade them to teams that they would want to go too. Both have been warriors for the canucks. My view even without the no trades.

Happy If we keep them too.

How about Burrows for Nathan Beaulieu? Habs could probably use Burrows and Beaulieu could very well be the decent prospect on the back end that we may be looking for. And the Habs may be one team that Burrows would waive his NTC to.

IMO, there's enough depth on the Canucks to move Burrows at this stage, and to boot, Burrows has done enough to re-establish some trade value for the Canucks.

• Upvote 3

A good read/some thoughts from Burr. Can never have too much of that:

A great attitude that I'm sure rubs off on the young guys coming in. The message just contribute in whatever way you can is a good one.

Thanks for that Deb.

He has such a great attitude about the game. I think he'd make a great coach once his playing days are over.

How about Burrows for Nathan Beaulieu? Habs could probably use Burrows and Beaulieu could very well be the decent prospect on the back end that we may be looking for. And the Habs may be one team that Burrows would waive his NTC to.

IMO, there's enough depth on the Canucks to move Burrows at this stage, and to boot, Burrows has done enough to re-establish some trade value for the Canucks.

I don't get the Burr hate posts (which will come as soon as he has any kind of slump) but I also don't get the Burr trade posts. We're not in a classic re-build, as long as the Sedins are still around. + Bieksa, Hamhuis, Hansen, Edler, Higgins are all signed. If the team was going to start dumping vets, I wouldn't start with someone who could be such a great mentor to young players coming in. He's a big part of the team, and IMO crucial to the success of the team, not just with his goal scoring but his energy and leadership.

For petes sake we are near the top of the league! We should make it into the playoffs where anything can happen with a little luck and a lot of good health, especially when it counts at the end of the season. I never listen to the pundits in their dismissal of Vancouver ever having a chance at the Cup. I wouldn't be a fan if I didn't have a slim hope of a SC run every year. And I don't think we win a series without Burrows.

• Upvote 2

I won't dispute Alexandre Burrows' value to the team as a quality mentor for the younger players.

I won't disagree with any of the great things he has done for the team on and off the ice in the past.

My issue with Burrows is the $4.5M cap hit with a NTC until 2016/2017.

I feel this certainly limits the team with regards to the renewal/rebuild that they have embarked on.

My personal feeling is to keep him for this season as the Canucks appear to have a decent chance to make the play-offs.

However, after this season; I would approach him about waiving his NTC, to make room on the RW for one of the prospects (if they are ready).

RW Depth:

Vrbata

Burrows

Hansen

Kassian

Dorsett

Vey

Virtanen

Jensen

Mallet

Archibald

My greatest fear is that all/most of the players with NTC/NMC contracts will stay and retire as Canucks or walk at UFA, and Vancouver will receive nothing at all for them at the end (like Calgary with Kiprusoff).

Cap Hits

Luongo = $800k/yr until 2021/2022

Edler = $5M/yr until 2018/2019

D. Sedin = $7M/yr until 2017/2018

H. Sedin = $7M/yr until 2017/2018

Hansen = $2.5M/yr until 2017/2018

Miller = $6M/yr until 2016/2017

Burrows = $4.5M until 2016/2017

Higgins = $2.5M until 2016/2017

Vrbata = $5M/yr until 2015/2016

Bieska = $4.6M/yr until 2015/2016

Hamhuis = $4.5M until 2015/2016

That's $49.4M/yr (72% of the Cap Ceiling) for 10 players all with NTCs or NMCs.

Edited by 420since1974

Borrows should be in the 1st line and vrbata to 2nd line

I'd be interested to see how that works but vrbata signed because he wanted to be with the twins and he's played well with them, I just don't see it as a possibility unless the line gets cold for an extended time.