The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Myself I think your off and I'd say no, were in a rebuild despite how well we've played this year and he's not hurting us with his cap space because we will and should be adding younger players over the next few years. His work ethic is going to be of great value as an influence to our young players. Keeping him is the best option for the team batman.

Respectfully disagree, Keeping him reduces the opportunity of adding youth. Benning just bought out a 4.25 contract for the reasoning of it being too high of a cap hit to not performing at a top 6 role...Matthias, Higgins, and dorsett are great examples of worth ethic and they come at a half that cost. If burr's contract was over next year sure.. but we have him until 2017 where then we lose him for nothing as his value would be worth nothing. I feel at least now he has a bit of value, come deadline i'm sure there would be a few bidders. You said it yourself were rebuilding so why do we have overaged players not playing to their value.

What is the teams goal this year?

Go all the way win a cup?

Make playoffs?

Get youth added into the line up?

Obtain picks?

If this team isn't going to go all in come deadline and remain status quo then why are we holding on to players like Burrows, Hansen and one of hammer/bieska. If we can make the post season without them plus pick up youth/picks for offloading them. add in removing their cap hit, is that not a win / win for this organization. That cap space saved becomes very important in the offseason to re-up players like tanev, matthias and potentially go after a UFA and those picks become important for the future.

Ultimately what is the teams underlying goal this year?

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

When will he ever be traded off to Florida for retirement. He's old and slow and caused the last goal against Montreal tonight because he can longer keep up to anyone. His best days are far behind him and It will not get better. Too bad Gillis signed him to an overpriced 5 year deal. Just another bad memory from the MG days. Surely we could get a bag of pucks and free up some cap room. Just give him away or pay him to leave...... He's a liability!

4.5 million isn't even that high of a cap hit for a 35-40 point player with his defensive ability.

Kulemin

Bozak

Gionta

Parenteau

Bickell

Stafford

Stewart

Jones

Pouliot

Erat

Fleischmann

Purcell

Lecavalier

Laich

Cole

Umberger

All those guys have similar cap hits to him.

Out of those guys, only Bozak and maybe Stafford are better than him.

Edited by Pimp C

4.5 million isn't even that high of a cap hit for a 35-40 point player with his defensive ability.

Kulemin

Bozak

Gionta

Parenteau

Bickell

Stafford

Stewart

Jones

Pouliot

Erat

Fleischmann

Purcell

Lecavalier

Laich

Cole

Umberger

All those guys have similar cap hits to him.

Out of those guys, only Bozak and maybe Stafford are better than him.

Agreed...the man has heart. Burr will rise again. He always does.

• Upvote 1

As I said burrows has been the worst player on the team. Re watch the TO game burrows alone is the reason the team lost, his 3 costly mistakes cost the team 3 goals. But It's not just the last 5 games but the last 3 years. Does he really deserve a value of 4.5 million for next 3 years. And do we think he can regain old form and hold it for the remainder of his contract. Doesn't matter if MG signed it, could that not be spent better else where? If a team were to offer us a pick at the trade dead line and it's a team that burrows would like waive to, is it not something we consider?

Usually,Burrows is a clutch player...and I don't doubt his heart,but he was simply brutal the last three games and cost us a couple of points with lazy play..IMO..You would think,being a veteran player,he would know better.

I take full responsibility for Burrows' play over the past five games. I started trumpeting his "return" to 2011 form by proclaiming him the best player on the ice vs. Columbus and New Jersey. This is after beating the "trade Burrows" drum all summer/fall.

I should know better because the minute I start talking positively about any player, it's the kiss of death for them.

So to all Canuck fans and Burrows, my apologies for being the reason why Burrows has fallen off the cliff the past five games.

• Upvote 2

Not anymore do we need him.

I love the remaining parts of the 2011 core, they did alot to try and bring a Cup home but Burrows just looks so slow and weak out there. It's pretty sickening to see how he dropped off, he's one of our worst skaters, he's not dynamic enough to play on the 2nd line. He's really not doing much ever since he got demoted to the 2nd line when Vrbata came here. Bonino is the best player on that line by a pretty big margin.

He's a big caphit for the next little while and he's not playing like a 2nd line guy. Everyone on our team brings more to the table than him IMO, Vey, Bonino, Kassian bring more skill, Matthias, Higgins, Hansen, Dorsett bring more energy and grit than him, Horvat is a centre, brings better playmaking and two-way game than him.

Based on today's practice - Burrows on 4th line with Dorsett and Horvat.

That's good to hear. Burrows has been killing offence on that second line and I felt that Hansen was being wasted on the fourth line. I'm happy with Higgins-Bonino-Vey and Matthias-Richardson-Hansen for the moment.

Don't know why but the last two years, Burrows has taken so many steps back, can't even explain it. I would understand if he gradually declined... Maybe the injury accelerated his decline? Last night's game was tough to watch, he didn't seem like he belong in the NHL.