The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Trading away one of the best deals in the NHL during the salary cap era would also be bad business.

Lol omg how naive are you? How long do you think he's going to stay at this pay grade? You don't think he's going to ask for a pay raise at his next contract negotiations? The name Matt Cooke ring a bell? He was once the "best bargain" player too with his minimum salary, and did he get better when he got his raise? Uh no, pretty much stayed the same until the day we traded him, and probably got less than what we could have if we did it sooner. And why did we trade Cooke? Right cause we had Burrows now, Burrows finally developed so now the Canucks had another "cheap" player to do the exact same thing Cooke did. Burrows' aspiration is not to continue to be the lowest paid player on the team you know, and like Cooke he will want a raise. Face it, Burrows, is the Canuck's present day Cooke.

So again, it's great that he's cheap, and yes he's great at what he does, i'm not taking anything away from that. But it'd be better for the team to trade him while he's still valuable.

Edited by snipes2539

Burrows is a perfect third line player. And didn't he get like 3 assists in the game against Calgary? How is that not chipping in offensively? Besides His chemistry with Kesler last year was amazing, and now Hansen! This thread is pointless.

• Upvote 1

But trading away dead weight and replacing him with a quality player is good business.

A. You're not going to get a player better than Burrows by trading him away. That's not how trades work.

B. Burrows is not dead weight.

If you're saying trade Burrows for a pick or a prospect, who will you replace him with? Pettinger? Burrows is better than Pettinger (with, perhaps, slightly less offensive upside) and gets paid half what Pettinger makes. Give your head a shake.

• Upvote 1

Lol omg how naive are you? How long do you think he's going to stay at this pay grade? You don't think he's going to ask for a pay raise at his next contract negotiations? The name Matt Cooke ring a bell? He was once the "best bargain" player too with his minimum salary, and did he get better when he got his raise? Uh no, pretty much stayed the same until the day we traded him, and probably got less than what we could have if we did it sooner.

Burrows' aspiration is not to continue to be the lowest paid player on the team you know, he will want a raise.

Of course he'll want a raise. It'll be damn well-deserved as well. I'm just saying it would be very foolish to trade him right now when he's such a bargain. As long as Gillis makes his raise reasonable (ie. not the kind of raise Cooke got, which was ridiculous, I agree), he'll be a quality player on the Canucks for years to come.

Letting him go just via waivers or FA would be kinda stupid, but if someone wanted a trade for him, like a 2nd rounder or a more offensive prospect i'd take it. Yes he has a lot of heart and good on the PK..but we have quite a few up and comming players who can do that as well, it's not like he brings something unique to the table.

I mean really, does he have the potential to get a lot better? Doubtful, probably more beneficial to the team to trade him sooner while his stock is still high.

i'd be happy trading him for picks any day

Of course he'll want a raise. It'll be damn well-deserved as well. I'm just saying it would be very foolish to trade him right now when he's such a bargain. As long as Gillis makes his raise reasonable (ie. not the kind of raise Cooke got, which was ridiculous, I agree), he'll be a quality player on the Canucks for years to come.

On this we agree, but my whole point is. Depending on the offer, it's not something that should be immediately dismissed because he's a great bargain. And with today's GM's I wouldn't be surprised to see a lopsided trade just for the sake of freeing up cap space.

Edited by snipes2539

Chances are, he'll be making a push for the 1.2-1.5 mark. I'll be more than glad if we can sign him long term for that kind of money.

If he pushes his luck and asks for 2.2, I say let him go.

• Upvote 1

A. You're not going to get a player better than Burrows by trading him away. That's not how trades work.

B. Burrows is not dead weight.

If you're saying trade Burrows for a pick or a prospect, who will you replace him with? Pettinger? Burrows is better than Pettinger (with, perhaps, slightly less offensive upside) and gets paid half what Pettinger makes. Give your head a shake.

we have money to spend .. we should have dumped burrows this summer and picked up Avery when we had the chance. He is without a doubt the best agitator in the league and he can back up his mouth.

he jumped rolston and still got slammed to the ice . I do agree that we got pushed around to much last year but I dont think that will be a problem this year . so he has no value anymore . I dont think you should bring Ohlund into this ...just ask mikko kiovu what it is like to play against him and If i remember correctly ohlund has fought Iginla and did way better than burrows could ever do.

Burrows has TONS of value. Slashing a guy like Ohlund slashed Koivu does not warrent you a "tough guy" however, it was funny as fu*k to watch lol. Ohlund has fought Iginla, your right, but that was the old Ohlund. The current version is slow, bad hand eye (guess he only has one good one) and doesnt even really hit anymore. And damn right ohlund would and should do better than Burrows would vs Iggy in a scrap, he has 3+ inches height and 30+ lbs on Burrows.....

Fu*k I want Iginla on this team!

Krog>burrows

There's a reason Burrows is playing in the NHL and Krog has yet to play a full season in the NHL. Figure it out.

we have money to spend .. we should have dumped burrows this summer and picked up Avery when we had the chance. He is without a doubt the best agitator in the league and he can back up his mouth.

And he gets paid far too much for it. I would rather have the cap space this season to give us a legitimate opportunity of picking up a top-six forward, either Sundin through free agency or through a trade.

• Upvote 1

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

Don't take this personally, but you obviously know very little about hockey if this is your opinion of Burrows value to the team.

The fact you don't think he can skate speaks volumes for your vision.

• Upvote 1

Don't take this personally, but you obviously know very little about hockey if this is your opinion of Burrows value to the team.

The fact you don't think he can skate speaks volumes for your vision.

lol

armchair gm's from b.c. that probably never stepped on the ice make me laugh.

Ive watched and played hockey all my life and i know garbage when i see it. It just goes to show how mixed up vancouver canuck fans are when it comes to hockey. most of you should try playing the game before thinking your experts by watching it.

Edited by clutch

I think you're watching the team in your avatar.

Here's what you need to do: tape #14 a little tighter to the shaft then he won't fall as much, if it makes you feel any better write a different name on his back, here's a link to all the current #14's in the league you could trade him for:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?sw=14

I'd be more inclined to pick a former Canuck #14, say Geoff Courtnall.

You're welcome.