The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

A ballad by Band-Maid? 

Yeah, it's supposedly a kiss to the fanbase (et al) in these Covid times. I kind of like it, but I'm seeing some "mixed reviews" where people are surprised with the type of song (a ballad), and so on. I believe folks were expecting this to be more like "Sayona kidori" (Nightingale) 

regards,  G.

4 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, it's supposedly a kiss to the fanbase (et al) in these Covid times. I kind of like it, but I'm seeing some "mixed reviews" where people are surprised with the type of song (a ballad), and so on. I believe folks were expecting this to be more like "Sayona kidori" (Nightingale) 

regards,  G.

Holy crap! They quote Shakespeare in the middle of the song? 

Nice touch!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

A ballad by Band-Maid? 

There have been a number of ballads (or balladish) songs similar to this from Band Maid on previous albums, but this one is more over on that side from what they usually do. Perhaps there's a lack of Akane drum solo, Misa bass beat and Kanami shredding in these.  :P

I tend to view ballads from hard rock/metal types of bands (not just Band Maid) in the same vein as "dues songs", they're in the contract:

• Doonesbury's character Jimmy Thudpucker (Trudeau's go-to character for lampooning the music industry) once refused to do a "paid my dues" song as being pointlessly whiny, pointing out he was an overnight success at age nineteen. His agent retorts "It's in your contract." 

I believe Band Maid do want to create/perform (some) ballads, not just because it's in the contract, but they also see them as part of the fan service which they believe is very important in gaining international success.

"Start Over", not one of my favourites, but it's a good song.

Also, "Wonderland" or "Daydreaming" fit into this category (IMO), and is perhaps what most of the fanbase is expecting for this type of song:

regards,  G.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nice touch!

Yeah, there's a lot going on in those brain pans of theirs. Miku (primary lyricist) pulls ideas in from a wide range of sources, and Kanami (primary composer) is ... pretty damn special. And then there's the contributions from the rest of the band to be considered in arranging the songs, etc.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nice touch!

26 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, there's a lot going on in those brain pans of theirs. Miku (primary lyricist) pulls ideas in from a wide range of sources, and Kanami (primary composer) is ... pretty damn special. And then there's the contributions from the rest of the band to be considered in arranging the songs, etc.

regards,  G.

As a continuance of this, the following is part of an interview which deals just with the song creation for "Band Maiko", which seems like a very complicated job:

https://bandmaid.tokyo/contents/238006

regards,  G.

• Upvote 1