The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Boris the spider? 

So, some quick digging shows me that Entwistle played in the pentatonic scale (I didn't know this), which is used in a number of different styles of music (something else I didn't know), amongst them Rock and Jazz. Misa's sound is a blend of Rock and Jazz (or so I've been led to believe), so her playing in the pentatonic scale doesn't seem like it would be unusual. Further, this sound may be more prominent with Misa because she is a blend of Jazz and Rock rather than just being a Rock bassist. Perhaps this (partially) explains what you are hearing. I on the other hand only hear, "Misa Misa Misa" when Misa plays...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Entwistle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentatonic_scale

Here's a video whee Misa and Aina (bassist for Silent Siren) talk bass playing and the like. It's been a while since I've watched it, but maybe there's some light to had from this. If nothing else it's kind of cool seeing Misa let her hair down (so to speak). (The reversal in the image is a phone camera thing. They are both righties.) (Also of note, about a week ago Aina came down with Covid, so yikes! It seems to be an isolated case, so best to her.)

There's also a video where Misa is teaching Akane (Band Maid's drummer) how to play bass, just as Akane has been giving Misa some pointers on drums. Perhaps this is because it helps them get the other person's POV when they are doing the arrangement for there songs. * Hmm, I can't find this vid atm. It may have been a casualty of Pony Canyon's sweep of the interwebz. I shall keep looking.*

Anyhoo:

regards,  G.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 million views on Youtube, and climbing.

I do prefer the live version from a few years later (below). The band is a lot more polished and are having fun during a live performance. It also illustrates the importance of a live crowd to the quality of a performance... and Miku is actually playing her guitar rather than air playing it.

regards,  G.

• Like 2

@Ghostsof1915 @Ilunga

Last night/early this morning, I was looking at a "reaction" video (3.5+ hrs long) of some Band Maid songs by DICODEC which they did at the beginning of the month (if you don't know, they are a group of musicians, music industry sound engineers, etc who do very informative opinion pieces). The two guys who are in the video are fans of Band Maid, and they were going over the most recent BM album in anticipation of the on-line concert from May 10.

Anyhoo, with reference to earlier posts regarding Misa/bass/lines/connection to other music forms, in a commentary of an instrumental of "Afterlife" it is noted that Misa inserts a Jazz chord progression into the song (00:58:45ish). 

*** okay, this site doesn't like TWITCH. How to find this: go to TWITCH, do a search for Band Maid. Six videos down (atm) is "Band-Maid Listening Party". It's a long video, but I believe it is worth checking out. ***

*** Found the Youtube version of the above video. The section of interest is at 40:45(ish):

Also, Miku's self-cover of her part in "Domination" is available for view (I don't know for how long, so check it out while you can).

**** sadly, this has gone behind the pay wall.  ****

https://bandmaidprime.tokyo/movies/56083?fbclid=IwAR1ly88R2VAGz8L_5yZbXDVRBaAgPhfKLWBpVfNnBvJjvBBIW8QK3ltGrAA

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

@Ghostsof1915 @Ilunga

Last night/early this morning, I was looking at a "reaction" video (3.5+ hrs long) of some Band Maid songs by DICODEC which they did at the beginning of the month (if you don't know, they are a group of musicians, music industry sound engineers, etc who do very informative opinion pieces). The two guys who are in the video are fans of Band Maid, and they were going over the most recent BM album in anticipation of the on-line concert from May 10.

Anyhoo, with reference to earlier posts regarding Misa/bass/lines/connection to other music forms, in a commentary of an instrumental of "Afterlife" it is noted that Misa inserts a Jazz chord progression into the song (00:58:45ish). 

*** okay, this site doesn't like TWITCH. How to find this: go to TWITCH, do a search for Band Maid. Six videos down (atm) is "Band-Maid Listening Party". It's a long video, but I believe it is worth checking out. ***

*** Found the Youtube version of the above video. The section of interest is at 40:45(ish):

Also, Miku's self-cover of her part in "Domination" is available for view (I don't know for how long, so check it out while you can).

https://bandmaidprime.tokyo/movies/56083?fbclid=IwAR1ly88R2VAGz8L_5yZbXDVRBaAgPhfKLWBpVfNnBvJjvBBIW8QK3ltGrAA

regards,  G.

Cheers brother .

• Like 1

Elephant Gym. They are primarily an instrumental band that fall into the "math/post rock" category. On the one hand, I think I like them. The bass player taps, and likes to go drinking/eating (kiind of like Misa from Band Maid). They seem to be a very personable group of people::

On the other hand, they kinda' sound a lot like this:

regards,  G.

• Like 1