The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

Really sad to hear the news today that a long long time friend passed yesterday after visiting his friend in the hospital. He and my ex were super close...trouble together. They worked together and it was a toxic workplace infested with drinking/drugs and all nighters were weekly occurrences. The "culture" was that you were either a family guy "stuck" 'at home with the wife ("hen pecked") and "boring" or you went on 2 day benders with the guys in a rinse/repeat weekly deal. Full on go stuff. My ex went along for the ride and when we were young, sure...I was right there beside them. We had some great times. But when we had kids (all I'd ever really wanted in life) I was at home alone a lot when the boys were front row at the strip club after work and then would take it from there. Two different deals. My ex eventually "settled" a bit but JO kept the pace.

Anyhow...doing some reflecting today. 

This guy was always super nice to me and one of the only friends of my ex's who didn't ever hit on me (I hated when his so called friends did that...and always told him). They were dudes, you know. They all saw my ex treating me like crap so that factored in.

Saw JO recently when I took transit in a snowstorm. He immediately came to me with his full on big energy sh-eating grin and greeted me so warmly...like we didn't skip a beat. Arms outstretched and I heard a "Debbbbbb" before I saw him on the crowded bus. I hadn't seen him in years. It was nice. He was known around town as a guy who was always "up"/happy and the life of the party. Everyone knew/loved him. 

He looked just like Anthony Kiedis. Today I am sad to know that he's left this world. But I smile because I know he'll be throwing the best damn SB parties in the sky.

RIP brother (he called my ex that).

• Vintage 1