The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

12 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

cant watch anymore of that...nice try Milos..you did well ,, I just wish you could of won a set...same as last time you played Murray..straight sets...but still..he did well.

straight sets maybe, but wasn't a blow out. Milos only lost serve once. That's how tight it was. Usually Milos is money with tie breaks, lost twice today.

7 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

straight sets maybe, but wasn't a blow out. Milos only lost serve once. That's how tight it was. Usually Milos is money with tie breaks, lost twice today.

Murray did the most unlikely thing - he won it on the success of his first serve. Over 80% that is almost unnatural, certainly for Murray. Obviously Lendl has had a big influence on him.

Very proud of what Milos has accomplished at Wimbledon but to be fair, Murray was just too good today.

Here is hoping he can win a Grand Slam in the next couple of years but it will take a lot of hard work and some luck. He will likely need to beat a Murray or Djokovic to get there.

At this rate, it may still be some time yet before someone other than Djokovic and Murray can win a GS. They look poised to continue being almost unstoppable into their early 30s.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, van_ws said:

Very proud of what Milos has accomplished at Wimbledon but to be fair, Murray was just too good today.

Here is hoping he can win a Grand Slam in the next couple of years but it will take a lot of hard work and some luck. He will likely need to beat a Murray or Djokovic to get there.

At this rate, it may still be some time yet before someone other than Djokovic and Murray can win a GS. They look poised to continue being almost unstoppable into their early 30s.

agreed..Milos has to break through soon..although I think the improvement at Wimbledon was very noticeable.

Tough loss for Milos, but a great tournament nonetheless. 

There was a story on TSN about one of his serves being the second fastest in Wimbledon history. (They didn't mention who had the fastest) The funny thing was, Murray returned it and ended up winning the point.

26 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Tough loss for Milos, but a great tournament nonetheless. 

There was a story on TSN about one of his serves being the second fastest in Wimbledon history. (They didn't mention who had the fastest) The funny thing was, Murray returned it and ended up winning the point.

0.4 of a second to react to a 144mph serve.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

0.4 of a second to react to a 144mph serve.

TSN is calling it 147 MPH. It was right at the body, so Murray basically just fought it off. If he'd have to reach for it, he probably wouldn't have had a chance.

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TSN is calling it 147 MPH. It was right at the body, so Murray basically just fought it off. If he'd have to reach for it, he probably wouldn't have had a chance.

Yes you are right but I was talking about the 144mph one. :P

Canadian teen Denis Shapovalov won the Wimbledon's boys' title on Sunday, defeating Australia's Alex De Minaur in three sets.

The 17-year-old Shapovalov, from Richmond Hill, Ont., bounced back from a 6-4 loss in the first set to take the next two, 6-1, 6-3 respectively.

Shapovalov was the fifth seed at the tournament. De Minaur was seeded seventh.

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Canadian teen Denis Shapovalov won the Wimbledon's boys' title on Sunday, defeating Australia's Alex De Minaur in three sets.

The 17-year-old Shapovalov, from Richmond Hill, Ont., bounced back from a 6-4 loss in the first set to take the next two, 6-1, 6-3 respectively.

Shapovalov was the fifth seed at the tournament. De Minaur was seeded seventh.

De Minaur was the one who took out 15 year old Canadian phenom Felix Auger Alliassime in the junior Wimbledon QF.

• Upvote 1

FAA loses 10-8 in the third set tiebreaker in the first round of the Winnipeg challenger after having match points on his serve. It's been a couple times this year he's had match points and lost. Hopefully, with experience and age he'll be able to make good on those kinds of opportunities.

Shapovalov has been awarded one of the 4 wildcards into the Roger's cup Main Draw. Hopefully, he's able to gain some experience and hard court form at the Citi Open in Washington next week where he got a wildcard(his first ATP level main draw match) and will hit the ground running in Toronto. Pospisil has received the only other announced wildcard but with a couple more withdrawals by higher ranked players (whether from injury or because the Olympics are the week after) he won't need it and it can go to someone else (Dancevic, Polansky, Schnur, maybe FAA? though a wildcard into the qualifying may be better for him at his age.)

Edited by Where's Wellwood

With Rogers Cup-Olympics-Cincinnati Masters close together, and Olympics not offering any rankings points, it was the least important of the three career wise. Factor in, not just Zika, but the water quality, security, and shoddy infrastructure, and it's an understandable decision. Too bad since i thought he could be a contender for the Bronze. 

The next olympics will be when he's 29/30 so it won't be too late in his career to do well in Tokyo. He's had good results in the Tokyo ATP 500 tournament in recent years (though he's now switched to playing Beijing which takes place the same week).

I also wonder if now he takes a wild card into the Citi Open next week that he won in 2014. Berdych and Kyrgios have pulled out with injury, so he would have a good shot to go deep. He probably won't given he played till the final Sunday at Wimbledon, and really wants to do well in Toronto but he could. 

Edited by Where's Wellwood
Rogers cup olympics Cincinnati were not in 3 consecutive weeks.

32 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Murray, Federer, and Nadal have all withdrawn from Rogers cup meaning Raonic will get a top 4 seed! Great opportunity for at least a final as long as he isn't in Djokovic's half of the draw.

Doesn't that almost essentially guarantee him the second seed? Which would guarantee him passage on the opposite end of the draw?

26 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Doesn't that almost essentially guarantee him the second seed? Which would guarantee him passage on the opposite end of the draw?

Wawrinka and Nishikori are still ahead. He'd be the 4th seed at this point. I could maybe see Nishikori pull out with injury, but I don't see Raonic getting the 2nd seed. It's more likely that Nishikori plays but ends up retiring in the 3rd round or something if he's still injured.

23 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Wawrinka and Nishikori are still ahead. He'd be the 4th seed at this point. I could maybe see Nishikori pull out with injury, but I don't see Raonic getting the 2nd seed. It's more likely that Nishikori plays but ends up retiring in the 3rd round or something if he's still injured.

It'll be interesting for sure then.  Either way, I don't think he can bank on another fluke Djokovic elimination. He's going to have to start taking care of business himself.