The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Raonic's games has come a long way from where it was a couple of years ago.

Used to be annoying to watch him, wasn't a lot of entertainment in it outside of the fact he was Canadian. Either he got you with his serve, or after a couple of volleys he would usually lose the point. 

Improved so much, can make some really nice shots, returns. His footwork has improved tremendously , still not elite but not much he can do being a big man, it's pretty much as good as it will get for someone of his size.

Question for those who follow Tennis more closely than I. What happened to Bouchard, seems like a former shell of herself. Injuries? Confidence? Or was she just playing above her grade for a short time?

These Zverev brothers are great for the sport imo.

Alexander is unreal - 19 yr old was extremely impressive against a very sharp Nadal.  It took Nadal both reverting to old form and absolutely grinding out the win to outlast the 19 year old.  Looking forward to watching him develop.

And then there's Mischa - bringing back the serve and volley - and giving Murray fits.  Really hope he can finish him.

8 hours ago, Glory_Days said:

Question for those who follow Tennis more closely than I. What happened to Bouchard, seems like a former shell of herself. Injuries? Confidence? Or was she just playing above her grade for a short time?

Combination of all those things, but especially how she's never recovered from losing Wimbledon Final. Whole thing with her slipping, falling and suffering a concussion in locker room at U.S. Open is so bizarre too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

that really helps Milos...although a revived Nadal and Fed are still around.

he will have to beat a great player to be champion anyway. He doesn't have winning record vs either of them. But one round at a time. Looks like it's wide open.

9 minutes ago, fivethej said:

Combination of all those things, but especially how she's never recovered from losing Wimbledon Final. Whole thing with her slipping, falling and suffering a concussion in locker room at U.S. Open is so bizarre too.

she still looks good on Instagram. Lol.

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

he will have to beat a great player to be champion anyway. He doesn't have winning record vs either of them. But one round at a time. Looks like it's wide open.

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

I think he beat Fed and Nadal the last time he played them..but his record is not good overall.....whats the deal with McEnroe and Milos...are they at odds now that Mc isnt on his team anymore...Mc just said the Russian is his new favorite player.?

Milos has a shot of winning this Grand Slam. His lone threats remaining are Wawrinka, Fed, Nadal. Don't want to forget about Goffin, who's a sleeper imo. Also the Zverev dude looks real good and has knocked out both the 1st and 2nd seeds out in the Joker and Murray. He and Raonic could potentially meet in the semis or finals. Either way, rooting for the Dino!

10 hours ago, fivethej said:

Does Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons) still have a thing for Genie?

Pretty sure he's still a fan, but that's it. Parsons came out of the closet years ago...

Things have opened up a bit for Milos, but I'd still put my money on Stan Wawrinka if I was betting.

22 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Milos has a shot of winning this Grand Slam. His lone threats remaining are Wawrinka, Fed, Nadal. Don't want to forget about Goffin, who's a sleeper imo. Also the Zverev dude looks real good and has knocked out both the 1st and 2nd seeds out in the Joker and Murray. He and Raonic could potentially meet in the semis or finals. Either way, rooting for the Dino!

He knocked out Murray, #1. Istomin knocked out Djokovic, #2.

If Milos wins his next match and Istomin wins his, they'll meet in the Quarterfinals. At that point, I would be cheering for both of them, Milos for obvious reasons, Istomin...I mean come on, outside of top 100 and had to play in wild card just to get in.

Now all Istomin needs is to have some sappy stupid romance took place and this is basically like the movie Wimbeldon, except not horrible...

Needs more Sam Neil though, always more Sam Neil.

Edit: My bad, Raonic and Istomin would meet in Semi's if they were to meet at all.

Edited by Glory_Days

The Federer vs Nishikori match was very entertaining. Nishikori was cruising up 5-1 in the first set then the old man woke up and took a 6-5 lead before losing the opening set in a tie breaker to Nishikori.

Didn't matter though as Federer was awake and took it in 5 sets.

The old dog can still bark and shouldn't be taken lightly. Many people saying the door is open for Milos. Federer sees that door open too and would love 1 more slam.

A heads up for those interested. Raonic plays tonight at 10 PM PST against 13th ranked Batista Agut.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

A Canadian Kournikova.

Go Milos.

It's a shame, had so much promise. But she is young, can still make a good career out of it.

I think the field is clear for Raonic to make the final. Won't be easy, but he has the ability.