The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Woo time to bump the topic...

Rogers Cup in MTL is well underway - the quarterfinals finished tonight. For the first time in a Masters ATP tourny ever, the quarterfinals consisted of the top 8 ranked players on the tour, quite the event! Anyways, the results:

Murray easily defeats Davydenko

Tsonga makes a miraculous come back from 4-1 down in the 3rd set to win the match, 7-6, 1-6, 7-6 against Federer of all people

Roddick beats Djokovic in a very Roddick-like matter (strong serving and consistent play with very few unforced errors)

Del Potro beats Nadal after taking over the match in the second set, 7-6, 6-1

I actually watched Roddick/Del Potro's match live tonight at Uniprix Stadium. I've been wanting to go to a ATP tennis tournamant for quite some time now, and boy was it something... It was a lot of fun, despite the guy on my left was a big Serbian Djokovic fan and he seemed to be under a lot of pressure as Djokovic kept getting into trouble against Roddick, haha.

Rogers cup is ranked as an ATP 1000 series which means from a points and purse standpoint, is 2nd only to the four majors. The tourney attracts most of the best players in the world and i'm interested to see if Roddick can continue his great play and win this one, especially after Tsonga eliminated Federer 7-6 7-6

Great opportunity for Roddick and Murray to make gains, not to mention the 2 up and comers Tsonga and Del Potro

Exactly - not all is lost in this situation for sure. It simply helps the others and highlights their play. Wish I could catch some of it.

Well, it was Nadal's first tourny since coming back from his knee injury and Federer... Well he's been busy with other things. I will admit, I was keeping track of the match until it was 3-0 Federer in the third set, and then I had to leave, but I did think Tsonga was done there. What a come back! The TV commentator kept saying how disappointed he was in Tsonga that he couldn't find his groove, because it was mostly Tsonga's serving and lack of confidence that led to him losing the match, as opposed to Federer playing well... I guess Tsonga proved him wrong! He pulled it off somehow, in the end.

My choice to win the tournament is going to be Del Potro. I'm not much of a fan of the remaining players, though they are great. Del Potro's been on the rise though, and he did beat Roddick in the last ATP tourny, though I forget where it was now. I have no idea where the guy gets all his strength from - his legs look skinny as hell and his arms aren't as big as the others, yet he just laserbeams the ball where he wants it to go! He was way above Nadal yesterday... Though Nadal definitely wasn't playing his best.

roger-federer-twins-500.jpg

Edited by luineul

Well, it was Nadal's first tourny since coming back from his knee injury and Federer... Well he's been busy with other things. I will admit, I was keeping track of the match until it was 3-0 Federer in the third set, and then I had to leave, but I did think Tsonga was done there. What a come back! The TV commentator kept saying how disappointed he was in Tsonga that he couldn't find his groove, because it was mostly Tsonga's serving and lack of confidence that led to him losing the match, as opposed to Federer playing well... I guess Tsonga proved him wrong! He pulled it off somehow, in the end.

My choice to win the tournament is going to be Del Potro. I'm not much of a fan of the remaining players, though they are great. Del Potro's been on the rise though, and he did beat Roddick in the last ATP tourny, though I forget where it was now. I have no idea where the guy gets all his strength from - his legs look skinny as hell and his arms aren't as big as the others, yet he just laserbeams the ball where he wants it to go! He was way above Nadal yesterday... Though Nadal definitely wasn't playing his best.

roger-federer-twins-500.jpg

Del Potro is 6 ft 6

Height breeds power

Nadal is still getting back, I doubt he'll be all good come US Open

Federer is clearly busy these days, look at those cute kids !

I wonder if becoming a father will affect his play

Tsonga needs to be more consistent, he could get his donkey-kicked next match imo

Roddick is my favourite (and also my favourite player) cause he's consistently good

btw I've noticed that Novak is going down these days, this season hasn't been a good one for him

OMG WTF?

I had no idea that Nadal's #2 rank was in danger, but it's Murray's now! Nadal, #3? That is soooooo weird. I really think he's going to come back hitting hard at the US Open now... If his loss against Del Potro proved anything, it's that he's still got a ways to go to get his top form back. I have no doubts that he'll steadily improve as time goes on though. That man has a burning passion to be at the top.

Murray reaches finals... and No.2 spot in the world

The complete on-court domination of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal over the last four years ended Saturday afternoon on Centre Court of the Uniprix Stadium in Montreal during the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank.

Not only has 22-year-old Brit Andy Murray reached the final of the event with a win over France’s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, but he has also dethroned Nadal of the No.2 ranking in the world. As of Monday, Federer, Murray and Nadal will respectively occupy the top three places on the ATP rankings.

Since July 25, 2007, Federer and Nadal have been the only two players to be ranked either No.1 or No.2 in the world. The Spaniard was ranked second until August 2008, when he jumped to the summit on the 18th. He fell back to the No.2 spot on July 13, 2009. As of August 17, Murray will occupy the No.2 spot, cracking the Spanish-Swiss monopoly.

Returning to win

In his Saturday afternoon match against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Murray won 6-4, 7-6(8) in one hour and 49 minutes.

On Centre Court, the temperature soared to 40 degrees Celsius with humidity of 70%. The scorching heat prevented the players from moving with their usual ease.

Murray proved that even when the serve isn’t working, you can still win with the returning of serve. The Scot only had a first serve percentage of 42% (40% in the first set), but he returned the Frenchman’s second serve so well. He broke Tsonga’s serve twice (at 1-1 and 5-4 in the first set), giving up his own once (at 3-4 in the first set). The first set lasted just 37 minutes and the Scot never appeared to have any trouble.

In the second set tiebreak, Tsonga went up 4-2, but several unforced errors and two beautiful Murray returns changed everything.

It’s the first time Murray has reached the Rogers Cup final. He was a semifinalist in Toronto last year.

Looks like even Roddick lost to Del Potro. I had no idea he was so tall - for some reason he doesn't look it to me. What a sneak! He moves around on court sooo slowly when the balls not in play, but he can really hustle and his aim is pretty solid. Roddick's placement of the ball is also superb, but it looks like Del Potro was the more consistent player this time around.

From tennis.com:

Del Potro beat Roddick 4-6, 6-2, 7-5. He also defeated the fifth-seeded American in a third-set tiebreaker in the final of a tournament in Washington on Sunday.

Roddick used a service break to take his opening set, but was dominated in the second by the thorough baseline playing and serving of the 20-year-old Del Potro.

The two held service at 5-5 in the third, when Roddick went down 30-40 and then double-faulted. The 2003 Rogers Cup champion slammed his racket down on the court and the sixth-seeded Del Potro then served out the match.

“That was the worst game I’ve played in a while,” Roddick said. “I won’t forget that.

“I’m very disappointed with the way the match finished, as far as preparation for the U.S. Open, which is the point of this swing, I feel good about how I played. I like where my game is heading.”

“These two weeks have been tough but it’s a chance to win another tournament,” Del Potro said.

“It will be good for me,” he said. “I like playing players who are better than me. “I think he will have the pressure, but I have to play my best.”

To think Roddick pretty much lost the match on a double fault! Wow!

Dang these matches sounded pretty exciting but I didn't watch them.

My money's still on Delpo.

THE ROGERS CUP PRESENTED BY NATIONAL BANK WELCOMES MORE THAN 200 000 SPECTATORS

Another world first achieved in Montreal

The Rogers Cup presented by National Bank accomplished another world first today, becoming the first one week tennis tournament to sell more than 200 000 tickets.

In addition to the world record, the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank also reached new heights in other areas with regards to attendance. The organization broke attendance records in nine of the 12 sessions staged so far. In addition, more than 3230 tickets have been sold for the 2010 event when Montreal will welcome back the top women of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour.

-rogerscup.com

The singles finals are scheduled for 1:30 today.

^

True that, but I'm in the East now so... Haha forgot to change that to PST.

I didn't know that CBC was broadcasting this. How great for tennis in Canada! And how good for me because I don't have a TV and I can stream this legally... Woohoo.

They're on serve right now, 3-2 for Murray.

EDIT: That being said, the commentators suck. They keep saying Del Potro played Roddick yesterday instead of Rafa, and they keep pronouncing Del Potro's name 'Del Pawtro'.

Edited by luineul