The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

21 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I just watched the video. Djokovic shouldn’t have been disqualified — it looked more like an accident than intentional and Djokovic wasn’t frustrated before it happened.

Apparently in the set he was...previous to this.

He said, ‘Yes, I was angry. I hit the ball. I hit the line umpire.

But it looked like nothing at all...woman seemed to drop like a pin.  Even her glare at him afterward...$$$.

Grand Slam rules very clearly indicate that abuse of the ball can be punished with a default.

In pretty much every previous instance of a player hitting an umpire, linesperson, or ballperson with a ball at the ATP level, the player has been punished with a default. The penalty assessed to Djokovic doesn't break any precedents. In any event, it's entirely his responsibility to avoid hitting people with balls he hits out of frustration. He has no one to blame but himself and even his apology acknowledges this.

Big opening for Shapovalov, though. His quarterfinal opponent happens to be the player that Djokovic defaulted the match to.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I just watched the video. Djokovic shouldn’t have been disqualified — it looked more like an accident than intentional and Djokovic wasn’t frustrated before it happened.

Intention and frustration aren't required for punishment.

The rulebook also uses the terms reckless, negligent, and potential to injure. Those all apply in this case.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:33 PM, Brad Marchand said:

Grand Slam rules very clearly indicate that abuse of the ball can be punished with a default.

In pretty much every previous instance of a player hitting an umpire, linesperson, or ballperson with a ball at the ATP level, the player has been punished with a default. The penalty assessed to Djokovic doesn't break any precedents. In any event, it's entirely his responsibility to avoid hitting people with balls he hits out of frustration. He has no one to blame but himself and even his apology acknowledges this.

Big opening for Shapovalov, though. His quarterfinal opponent happens to be the player that Djokovic defaulted the match to.

Match is at 5 today!  Woo...go Shap!!  :towel::(

On 9/7/2020 at 2:39 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It was an unfortunate incident -- accidental yet reckless.

say QH slap shot at a ref by accident and hit the ref long after the whistle and play was already stopped.  it wasn't part of the play.  he just slapped it because his opponent and he blew the coverage, and he was frustrated.  this is not like those shots at the goalie after a horn or whistle blown.  

I watched the match...it was hard fought until the 4th set, where he tied it up convincingly 6-0.  So many aces.  (Final count for the match was 26-5 in favour of Shap).  Even  his second serves, at times, were aces.  He was on fire in that set.

Then they had a break before the fifth set...Carreno Busta had a trainer come out and work on him.  Shap just sat/regrouped and it's too bad because he had all the momentum going in to the final set but it almost seemed his mental game got away from him a bit.  Overhitting balls and unforced errors that cost him.  Once he lost the edge, it went quickly the other way.

All in all though, was a brilliant match....really even and could have been anyone's win.

He truly has a bright future ahead of him.  One thing I did notice....Mom/coach was very "involved" and, at one point when things started to slip away I'm sure I saw him mouth "shut up" to her?  I could be wrong...but don't think so.   As he got frustrated, it seems she was more of a distraction to him?