The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

He had a pretty good/convincing win....a bit of a stumble, but regained control and took it back.  His mental game is getting stronger as he doesn't unravel when he's ahead but starts to lose ground.  He's very composed, albeit, also very emotionally charged.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

There is a Canadian playing tomorrow.  Her name is Leylah Fernandez.  Some teenage hotshot about to face the #7 seed.

Awesome...I know about her, but I wasn't aware that she's still alive in the tournament....:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pospisil vs italian young gun 19 year old Jannik Sinner in the final of the last regular tournament of the year.

Both looking for their first ever title. This is Sinner's first final and Pospisil's third final (loss to Raonic in 2014, and loss to Monfils in February this year). 

Here's hoping anything is Pospisil.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:10 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

Pospisil vs italian young gun 19 year old Jannik Sinner in the final of the last regular tournament of the year.

Both looking for their first ever title. This is Sinner's first final and Pospisil's third final (loss to Raonic in 2014, and loss to Monfils in February this year). 

Here's hoping anything is Pospisil.

Tough loss for Pop there. I feel bad for him....he looked pretty devastated after the match...

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I am super-sold on Dominic Thiem.  That open-body backhand is crazy to watch.  I didn't know you could so much pace on a one-hander while off-balance.  Luckily Vancouver has had dry Saturdays so I've been trying it out myself.  Really fun stuff.

I didn't like him very much before, but I find him the most likable of the young top 10 members. Like, Zverev and Tsitsipas don't seem very nice to me. Medvedev seems okay. I like Medvedev better than Rublev.

Hopefully Shapovalov and Auger Aliassime can get there next year.

16 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I didn't like him very much before, but I find him the most likable of the young top 10 members. Like, Zverev and Tsitsipas don't seem very nice to me. Medvedev seems okay. I like Medvedev better than Rublev.

Hopefully Shapovalov and Auger Aliassime can get there next year.

Are you watching the same Medvedev?  He is as much of a hothead as Zverev and Tsitsipas.  Kind of has this jerk attitude like young Djokovic where he kinda relishes the hatred and plays the heel.  Shapovalov is a player I actually dislike a lot because of his attitude.  He is just like the rest of them.  He needs to fix his temper if he wants to succeed and become a legit star.  Young tennis is full of immature jerks right now and I hope some of them are able to mature.

Thiem is 27.  Older than what you'd think.  Crazy that he only won his first slam this year.

29 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Are you watching the same Medvedev?  He is as much of a hothead as Zverev and Tsitsipas.  Kind of has this jerk attitude like young Djokovic where he kinda relishes the hatred and plays the heel.  Shapovalov is a player I actually dislike a lot because of his attitude.  He is just like the rest of them.  He needs to fix his temper if he wants to succeed and become a legit star.  Young tennis is full of immature jerks right now and I hope some of them are able to mature.

Thiem is 27.  Older than what you'd think.  Crazy that he only won his first slam this year.

Zverev has come out as a COVIDidiot and a potential domestic abuser so he's the worst of them all. Tsitsipas has nearly hit his dad with a racquet smash.

Medvedev has the very funny "Shut your &^@# up" trash talk with Tsitsipas which makes me like him a lot, and his summer/fall of 2019 was just insane (6 consecutive finals, including 2 M1000's and a GS final 5th set)

Shapovalov has actually matured a fair bit recently but he has a ways to go. He's got to fix his serve the most.

I was surprised to see than Thiem was already 27 when he (thankfully) beat Zverev in the US Open final. It feels like Thiem really took his lumps against the Nadal/Djokovic and deserved to win a slam before Zverev. 

On 11/20/2020 at 11:10 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

Zverev has come out as a COVIDidiot and a potential domestic abuser so he's the worst of them all. Tsitsipas has nearly hit his dad with a racquet smash.

Medvedev has the very funny "Shut your &^@# up" trash talk with Tsitsipas which makes me like him a lot, and his summer/fall of 2019 was just insane (6 consecutive finals, including 2 M1000's and a GS final 5th set)

Shapovalov has actually matured a fair bit recently but he has a ways to go. He's got to fix his serve the most.

I was surprised to see than Thiem was already 27 when he (thankfully) beat Zverev in the US Open final. It feels like Thiem really took his lumps against the Nadal/Djokovic and deserved to win a slam before Zverev. 

I heard about the abuse thing with Zverev.  And Tsitsipas did hit his dad during the ATP Cup.  Mom was there too and ripped him a new one.  Almost funny to watch.

Anyways it's crazy how Medvedev ran over the world numbers 1, 2, and 3.  Classic Thiem overcooking his shots.

• 4 weeks later...

Vasek named ATP's "Comeback Player of the year":

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/canadian-vasek-pospisil-wins-year-end-comeback-player-of-the-year-award/ar-BB1c7brb?li=AAggXBR

Canada's Vasek Pospisil has been named the ATP Tour's comeback player of the year.

Pospisil, from Vancouver, reached two tournament finals during the abbreviated 2020 season after undergoing back surgery last year.

"It's a great end for me to a great season on the court," Pospisil said.

Ranked 150th last year, Pospisil has climbed to No. 61. A former world No. 25, Pospisil was sidelined for much of 2019.

The 30-year-old Pospisil reached the final at the Open Sud de France before the COVID-19 pandemic started, and matched the feat in November at the Sofia Open in Bulgaria.

Pospisil also reached the fourth round of the U.S. Open after wins over No. 11 Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain and No. 18 Milos Raonic of Thornhill, Ont., at the Grand Slam in New York.

Kevin Anderson of South Africa, Andrey Kuznetsov of Russia and Raonic were also nominated for comeback player of the year.

Players vote for the comeback player of the year award.

"I stayed patient, I worked hard and I've been improving on a constant basis," Pospisil said from Bradenton, Fla. "I feel like every week I'm a better player than I was the week before."

Other award winners were Russia's Andrey Rublev (most improved player); Spain's Carlos Alcaraz (newcomer of the year); Spain's Rafael Nadal (Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award); American Francis Tiafoe (Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award); Switzerland's Roger Federer (Fans' Favourite Award, singles); Britain's Jamie Murray and Neal Skupski (Fans' Favourite Award, doubles); Fernando Vicente (coach of the year); Bob Brett (Tim Gullikson Career Coach Award); and Kevin Mitchell (Ron Bookman Media Excellence Award).

'Grats, Pop. Well deserved.

• 1 month later...

Anyone watching the Australian Open?

Auger Aliassime beat Shap and moves on to the 4th round vs  Karatsev today at 5:15.

Raonic plays Djokovich at 1:15 am.  Maybe....Djokovich is hurt so it's a wait and see deal.

Bianca got knocked out early.