The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Quite the effort by Andreescu!  Her injury was her downfall. She could have forfeited, but battled to the end. The American broadcasters were awful. Downplaying Bianca's play and then praising Sakarri for dealing with all the "pressure" of having to watch her opponent have an injury.  :blink:

• Sad 1

Can't wait for Felix' match this evening.  Playing one of the brightest up and coming stars in Alcaraz.  Spanish kid is being hailed as the next Rafa, although that's too much pressure on the kid.  He's got an amazing forehand that's gone in the blink of an eye.  

22 hours ago, blaise said:

The dude is a legend in the making.

He's somewhat got a bit of a "Not so likable" label attached to him,but he's a force for sure.

As far as I'm concerned he's a class act.

Djoker speaks for 15 minutes in front of media after EVERY single one of his matches, so every second day.  I've actually listened to his post-match interviews during Wimbledon and US Open this year and he's one of the most well spoken athletes in any sport, across any generation.... and he can do so in English, French, Italian, Spanish and he even dabbles with German and Cantonese.  

Hating on him for beating your favourite tennis player is okay, but most of the hate stems from the way that Western media has portrayed him (or in the case of some posters here, his religion aparantly).  Makes me think of someone like Ovechkin who got chastised for celebrating too much, not winning in the playoffs, etc, etc.  

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Djoker speaks for 15 minutes in front of media after EVERY single one of his matches, so every second day.  I've actually listened to his post-match interviews during Wimbledon and US Open this year and he's one of the most well spoken athletes in any sport, across any generation.... and he can do so in English, French, Italian, Spanish and he even dabbles with German and Cantonese.  

Hating on him for beating your favourite tennis player is okay, but most of the hate stems from the way that Western media has portrayed him (or in the case of some posters here, his religion aparantly).  Makes me think of someone like Ovechkin who got chastised for celebrating too much, not winning in the playoffs, etc, etc.  

So true.  Djoker is probably the one of the current big three who will become a tennis commentator after he retires from playing, and be interesting and funny.  

Watched Bianca last night....was quite a battle but man, Sakkari's in great shape.  Bianca looked exhausted at the end and the injury just was the final straw...despite it, she found valiantly.  But Sakkari was in beast mode at the end....looked like she could have played another 3 sets.

Leylah, wow.  Just wow.  What an incredible story she is.

Watching Felix right now....tennis in Canada is so fun right now.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He just rubs me the wrong way and seems arrogant.  And the COVID stuff...like be responsible.  

He's quite a tennis player but I always cheer for him to lose. Despite him rarely doing so.

11 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

He just rubs me the wrong way and seems arrogant.  And the COVID stuff...like be responsible.  

He's quite a tennis player but I always cheer for him to lose. Despite him rarely doing so.

For some reason media loves to highlight him when he breaks a racket or does something that can be spun in a negative way.  

One change that's in effect now but not being talked about is the fact that he lobbied for money to be shifted away from the finals and semi finals and put towards players that lose in early rounds. 

People that care about kids and those less fortunate as much as he does just can't be that bad of a person. 

Go Felix! 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

People that care about kids and those less fortunate as much as he does just can't be that bad of a person. 

I wasn't aware of this...I shouldn't really judge him because I don't know much about him.  

Shocking end. Happy to see Felix move on but didn't see it coming like that. Liked the way he was playing.

Leylah was phenomenal this morning, she's got such great control. I was getting teary eyed seeing her emotion when she won. What a great story.

Still bummed the way Bianca went out. At a point in the 3rd set she just screamed "this sucks!" as she was hurting & feeling the match slipping away. That was tough to see. 

Hopefully Felix & Leylah can keep rolling though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, allegend said:

Great news about Leylah and Felix! 

I just spent the past two hours online waiting to scan QR codes

for the family's BC Vaccination cards. Watching tennis would 

have been more enjoyable. Ha ha.

Yeah I was waiting around for an hour yesterday.  

Big games today! I'm pulling for Djokovic but wouldn't be surprised at all to see Berretini win.