The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

13 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Couldn't have gone much better for Joker....Rafa goes down with an injury leaving Novak to face the only guy in the draw less popular than him.....

Some people like Nick.

I love how he doesn't give a @#$# about what people think and does what he wants. 

He doesn't have a coach or train in the conventional sense.

He hits shots between his legs, serves under hands. 

Loved how he wore his red Nike's to the presentation.

As the guy who I mentioned in the thread I started about inspirational people stated 

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" 

Dougie Bader

If what his ex is claiming is true then he is a POS, however innocent until proven guilty. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Some people like Nick.

I love how he doesn't give a @#$# about what people think and does what he wants. 

He doesn't have a coach or train in the conventional sense.

He hits shots between his legs, serves under hands. 

Loved how he wore his red Nike's to the presentation.

As the guy who I mentioned in the thread I started about inspirational people stated 

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" 

Dougie Bader

If what his ex is claiming is true then he is a POS, however innocent until proven guilty.

I remember a guy who used to play for the Boston Bruins named Derek Sanderson. (If you've seen the famous "flying" goal by Bobby Orr against the Blues, Sanderson was the guy who passed him the puck from behind the net)

This was a guy with a world of talent, but seemed to care more about having a good time than he did playing the game.

If there had been a Selke Award back in those days, Sanderson would have won more than one. He was a threat to score in any situation. In a way, he was the Patrice Bergeron of his day, but the similarities ended when the game did. Off the ice, he was all about the booze and the partying. I think this is what made him disliked by virtually everyone outside of Boston. The idea that he could have been so much more, if he just cared enough to be.

Kyrgios said something after the match with Joker that sort of spelled it out: If I had won, I don't know if I could have motivated myself in the future....He's basically saying, Once I win a Grand Slam, what's left to play for?

That must have sounded strange to the guy standing beside him, who's done it 21 times....

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember a guy who used to play for the Boston Bruins named Derek Sanderson. (If you've seen the famous "flying" goal by Bobby Orr against the Blues, Sanderson was the guy who passed him the puck from behind the net)

This was a guy with a world of talent, but seemed to care more about having a good time than he did playing the game.

If there had been a Selke Award back in those days, Sanderson would have won more than one. He was a threat to score in any situation. In a way, he was the Patrice Bergeron of his day, but the similarities ended when the game did. Off the ice, he was all about the booze and the partying. I think this is what made him disliked by virtually everyone outside of Boston. The idea that he could have been so much more, if he just cared enough to be.

Kyrgios said something after the match with Joker that sort of spelled it out: If I had won, I don't know if I could have motivated myself in the future....He's basically saying, Once I win a Grand Slam, what's left to play for?

That must have sounded strange to the guy standing beside him, who's done it 21 times....

• Cheers 2

Going to be an interesting US Open.  Joker wins, and he’s got to be the favourite, and he’s tied as the GOAT with Nadal.  Then the next Slam is Australia.  Before spring 2023 Joker could easily be the GOAT.  He could have 23-24 slams by this time next year.  Best player ever?  Just might be and with no argument.  

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah he such an enigma.

I have no natural talent IMO, I had to use my determination and will to win to succeed.

To see a guy with so much talent kinda waste it is frustrating.

That's often how it is.

Things come easy for guys like that and many of them don't take it to the final level.

Combine that fierce drive/ will to win with a bunch of natural talent and you get those once in a generation people.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Going to be an interesting US Open.  Joker wins, and he’s got to be the favourite, and he’s tied as the GOAT with Nadal.  Then the next Slam is Australia.  Before spring 2023 Joker could easily be the GOAT.  He could have 23-24 slams by this time next year.  Best player ever?  Just might be and with no argument.  

The joker has never won a GRAND SLAM.

Laver did it twice. 

Rocket Rod was and is a total gentleman.

The way Novak and his family have carried themselves have tarnished his reputation.

People are remembered first and foremost for the kinda person they are.

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

The joker has never won a GRAND SLAM.

Laver did it twice. 

Rocket Rod was and is a total gentleman.

The way Novak and his family have carried themselves have tarnished his reputation.

People are remembered first and foremost for the kinda person they are.

Laver was the best ever for tennis and class.  Federer is right up there too, as is Nadal.  Great players and people.  Joker is a complete idiot.  But if it’s just what’s done on the court, he might soon be the best ever.  He could eclipse 25 Slams.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

You must be vaccinated to play in the US Open. Djokovic is still not vaccinated.

Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic, still 'not planning to get vaccinated,' set to skip US Open

LONDON -- Just hours after winning his fourth straight title at Wimbledon with a four-set victory over Nick Kyrgios, Novak Djokovic confirmed he has no plans to receive the COVID-19 vaccination and will not be playing the US Open unless the restrictions to enter the country are eased or he is given a medical exemption.

"I'm not vaccinated and I'm not planning to get vaccinated so the only good news I can have is them removing the mandated green vaccine card or whatever you call it to enter United States or exemption," Djokovic said Sunday. "I don't know. I don't think exemption is realistically possible. If that is possibility, I don't know what exemption would be about.

"I don't know. I don't have much answers there."

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/34223436/wimbledon-champion-novak-djokovic-not-planning-get-vaccinated-set-skip-us-open

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Such a bad guy :rolleyes:

He is not a bad guy just a bit of a knob.

We have had this discussion before so all I will say is there are reasons why many people believe Novak is his own worst enemy.  

This article kinda covers it.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/09/17/novak-djokovic-his-own-worst-enemy/

It sucks for him.

He will probably be the best tennis player of the modern era. 

However he has never won and will probably never win a GRAND SLAM.

• 5 weeks later...

Leylah Fernandez out at the NBO in Toronto, losing in straight sets 7-6 & 6-1 to brazilian Beatriz Haddad Maia. 

Back was against the wall at times in the first set & she battled hard to get to the tiebreaker, then it kinda got away from her in the 2nd. Haddad Maia's serve was on.

Excited to watch Bianca later tonight

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I imagine I'm pretty much the only person who's glad Serena is out....

Nope. I think she is a terrible example in everything but results when it comes to sports. The stories from players about her are not flattering and her conduct on the court at times has been as bad as any seen in tennis. Hell of an athlete and career but I am not a fan after having been one when she first eclipsed Venus. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Stihlman65 said:

Anyone watching Alcaraz-Tiafoe semie final match.

What a show by both,but young Alkaraz is impressive.

Alcarez is playing some of the best tennis I’ve seen. And only 19 years old!

We may be witnessing the coming out party for the next Nadal right before our eyes.

Roger Federer is retiring from professional tennis at age 41 after a series of knee operations, closing a career in which he won 20 Grand Slam titles, finished five seasons ranked No. 1 and helped create a golden era of men's tennis with rivals Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

"As many of you know, the past three years have presented me with challenges in the form of injuries and surgeries," Federer said Thursday in a post on his social media accounts. "I've worked hard to return to full competitive form. But I also know my body's capacities and limits, and its message to me lately has been clear.

"I am 41 years old. I have played more than 1500 matches over 24 years. Tennis has treated me more generously than I ever would have dreamt, and now I must recognize when it is time to end my competitive career."

Federer's 20 Grand Slam titles rank third all time among men's players behind only contemporaries Nadal (22) and Djokovic (21).

Federer said he intends to keep playing tennis, "but just not in Grand Slams or on the tour." He had not played a competitive match since reaching the quarterfinals at Wimbledon in 2021 and announced in mid-August that he had undergone another knee surgery.

But he had appeared at an event marking the 100th anniversary of Centre Court at the All England Club in July and said he hoped to come back to play there "one more time." He also had said he would return to tournament action at the Swiss Indoors in October.

"This is a bittersweet decision, because I will miss everything the tour has given me," Federer said. "But at the same time, there is so much to celebrate. I consider myself one of the most fortunate people on Earth. I was given a special talent to play tennis, and I did it at a level that I never imagined, for much longer than I ever thought possible."

He's a class act and will be missed.

Agassi was always my favourite and I was sad when he faded out but quickly became a big fan of Nadal and Federer. We have watched some absolutely amazing tennis from Roger and he always played with integrity but also a sense of sportsmanship that I really admired. He was very likeable.

Can't stand Djokovic and Roger always balanced things out nicely for me.