The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

You fail to understand the type of player Nadal is. He is a chaser who plays well behind the baseline. It's not that he dictates play, but his shots force the attacking player out of position, and then he whips out a banana curve down the line.

Without Nadal's chasing skills and killer passing shots, Federer would probably employ a more aggressive game and camp out in front of the net. Instead, Federer had to try and control the game from the baseline, which is a losing fight against Nadal.

I really don't fail to understand. I've seen every match they played in Grand Slams. I've also watched many more between the two in other ATP events. For example, at the year end Masters last year, Fed demolished Rafa 6-3, 6-0 in exactly an hour. Guess how many unforced errors? 8. Sure it may be a set less, but if the same match was played in 3 sets, he would've been on pace for 12 unforced errors. Federer is the one who beats himself. Why? It's a mental thing. During their first five matches, Nadal won 4/5. After that Federer went on a roll against him. They then started having close battles, with Rafa dominating in the odd match. Perfect example was this mornings match. Federer breaks Nadal, goes on his serve, goes down 0-15, and what happens? He starts hitting unforced errors, on easy, easy shots. Once it hits 0-15 on his serve, he gets the mindset of here we go again, causing him to try too hard, which he really doesn't need to do. And the product is unforced errors, which for the most part are annoyingly easy shots. I remember listening on the AO radio when I couldn't watch the match for about 45 minutes, and they were stunned at the unforced errors he was hitting. Nadal is a great player, and matches up well, but Federer is the better player, and unforced errors, is the cause of him losing. I don't remember anyone ever hitting 60 unforced errors let alone the greatest player of all time. Suffice to say I'm still disappointed he lost. Hopefully Murray will beat Rafa on Sunday. (That's right, I'm predicting an upset victory for Murray against Djokovic )

Edited by Roger Federer

In his post-match interview Fed seemed determined to not give Nadal too much credit for the loss

He said that for some reason Nadal seems to play better against him than against anyone else. I don't think that's true. Rafa brings his best against any top opponent. I just think that Fed is less able to handle Rafa's style than others are.

Anyone watching Djokovic/Murray?

Murray looks like a clown lol. Both players look unsettled so far. Both have been broken once and lots of unforced errors so far. Edit: Djok breaks again.

Wow, for a former world #1 to be beaten while only winning 3 total games in a grand slam final is pretty bad.

Azarenka has a heck of a lot of power though and she plays a very technical game.

Great to see her get the win and the #1 ranking. Definitely a changing of the guard in women's tennis with the likes of Sharapova, Williams, Clijsters, etc being defeated by the young players.