The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

marleau_12

Midnight in Paris - 6.5/10 I don't know if it had been built up too much beforehand by friends but I was expecting more. A neat premise but did not deliver, IMO. Although, I did enjoy Hemingway's portayal.

Friends with Benefits - 1/10 Probably one of the most predictable chick flicks I have ever seen.....and that's saying something.

Water - 9.5/10

Oscar-nominated Canadian movie released in 2005....in Hindi with English subtitles.....written and directed by Deepa Mehta of Bollywood/Hollywood fame.

Set in 1938 India when India was still under British rule......In 1938, Gandhi's party is making inroads in women's rights. Chuyia, a child already married but living with her parents, becomes a widow. By tradition, she is unceremoniously left at a bare and impoverished widows' ashram, beside the Ganges during monsoon season. The ashram's leader pimps out Kalyani, a young and beautiful widow, for household funds. Narayan, a follower of Gandhi, falls in love with her. Can she break with tradition and religious teaching to marry him? The ashram's moral center is Shakuntala, deeply religious but conflicted about her fate. Can she protect Kalyani or Chuyia? Amid all this water, is rebirth possible or does tradition drown all?

Drive - 10/10

Can't believe the Oscar snubs, what a joke it's become. This is a modern age Taxi Driver. A masterpiece.

Hesher - 7/10

Strange, yet intriguing.

Kill List - 6.5/10

Had so much potential to be a great movie, yet the director tried to make it appear like it had a much more deeper meaning, while failing to deliver.

Take Shelter - 8/10

Great acting really carries this film. A dark look into mental health, with an interesting ending.

Martha Marcy May Marlene - 8.5/10

An amazing debut by the 3rd Olsen sister. Looks into how a cult can severely damage the psyche is you let it.

Real Steel - 7/10

A fun movie for what it is. A kid's version of Rocky.

Ides of March - 6/10

Gosling, Clooney, Giamatti, Seymour-Hoffman, Tomei...the cast was definitely top-notch. There were many great dialogue scenes. However, the story itself seemed a bit shallow. Perhaps if they developed the main characters background and motivations a bit further, I would have cared more about how he was affected by the events.

The first hour of The Tree of Life - 2/10

Can somebody explain how this art-house garbage got nominated for best picture? The pretty imagery lost its charm after 30 minutes and I started to wonder when the story begins. There is nothing deep or poetic about the things whispered over all sorts of neat cinematography.

We Need to Talk About Kevin - 8.5/10

Harry Brown - 6/10

Once Upon a Time - 9/10

Ok - not a movie, but a great new TV series. Fractured faerie tales meets live action TV series.

Give it 5 episodes and it will definitely grow on you... when I watched the pilot I was like "meh, this is ok", then I watched the 2nd episode and was "meh, ok this is kinda neat"... 3rd episode "Ok, this is pretty fun.... 4th episode "Yup, definitely a very fun show".... episode 13 - totally hooked.

Now I want to say Lost meats LoTR.

half the fun of this series is trying to figure out who the fairy tale characters are in Storybrook and the other half is just going along with the ride.

SPOILER ALERT - there were originally 8 Dwarves (Stealthy gets caped :( ), and all the real life character names will give you a clue to who they are in the fairy tale world.

I am just about to watch The Aviator for what has to be the 10th time.

i know it'll be a 10/10,

I am just excited as i haven't seen it in my new home theatre yet. and yes i said IN not ON.

I have a dedicated theatre room with a 106' full HD 3D projector and 7.1 surround sound. Balla... on a budget!

I am just about to watch The Aviator for what has to be the 10th time.

i know it'll be a 10/10,

I am just excited as i haven't seen it in my new home theatre yet. and yes i said IN not ON.

I have a dedicated theatre room with a 106' full HD 3D projector and 7.1 surround sound. Balla... on a budget!

Archived