The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post Yo Face In The Twilight Sparkle Party

Rate this topic

Gerg

What happened?^

I was a hard mineral exploratory driller, working a contract for Ironbark Gold for the country of Denmark, water swivel on my drilling rig snapped caught my hand sucked it into the mast. tore it up and shot it out so fast it caused severe spiral fractures destroyed all of the soft tissue and ligaments/tendons and nerves from mid forearm to finger tips dislocated my shoulder....shattered my pinkie.

Happened on my birthday no less. 4 total surgeries 3 major, 1 major infection which nearly killed me and 18 total months of recovery time in casts splints 1 child and a separation later....

I am posting half naked photos of myself on a hockey forum

That hip wound is where they took the last set of bone grafts for the wrist because the arm wasn't viable anymore as a deposit or transfer site.

Can't play guitar anymore, trained myself to write with my right hand etc. Just call me ironman

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2

Ouch.

My dad's leg is full of metal too. He fell off a ladder at work and his leg went in between two rungs, snapping it in half. His got infected and he nearly died / had it chopped off as well. (they ended up taking an inch off the leg and some of his hip bone).

He still complains about how cold his leg gets in the winter with all that metal.

Edited by Crom!
Guest Gumballthechewy

I was a hard mineral exploratory driller, working a contract for Ironbark Gold for the country of Denmark, water swivel on my drilling rig snapped caught my hand sucked it into the mast. tore it up and shot it out so fast it caused severe spiral fractures destroyed all of the soft tissue and ligaments/tendons and nerves from mid forearm to finger tips dislocated my shoulder....shattered my pinkie.

Happened on my birthday no less. 4 total surgeries 3 major, 1 major infection which nearly killed me and 18 total months of recovery time in casts splints 1 child and a separation later....

That hip wound is where they took the last set of bone grafts for the wrist because the arm wasn't viable anymore as a deposit or transfer site.

Can't play guitar anymore, trained myself to write with my right hand etc. Just call me ironman

Damn dude! I don't know what to say...

Will you be able to use your hand again?

Damn dude! I don't know what to say...

Will you be able to use your hand again?

I cannot bend my wrist at all can't ride strum grip or hold much. Many moons of physio ahead of me but I've time and kid to get by with. Never do my trade again working as a private consultant to ironworking outfits across the west.

So yes I will use it, just at 30% of what it should be able to do and with massive nerve damage the whole time.

On a brighter note....the whole thing is numb so if I grip hard enough it's like a permanent stranger :bigblush:

• Upvote 1

OMG, brutal. Glad you survived the ordeal...bet it's been an incredibly difficult time in surgery/recovery! Holy hell.

My Mom worked with a guy who fell into an ice auger...problem was that the guy working the emergency shut off "froze" in fear/shock. Took a few seconds before my Mom ran over and hit the button, shutting things down. He lost both legs in the incident, but last time I saw him he'd gone on to really make the best of overcoming the obstacles and moving on as best as he could.

Split second events that change lifetimes. Wow. Keep smiling, you're an inspiration.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I cannot bend my wrist at all can't ride strum grip or hold much. Many moons of physio ahead of me but I've time and kid to get by with. Never do my trade again working as a private consultant to ironworking outfits across the west.

So yes I will use it, just at 30% of what it should be able to do and with massive nerve damage the whole time.

On a brighter note....the whole thing is numb so if I grip hard enough it's like a permanent stranger :bigblush:

Well it's good to see your still in good spirits. That's the key right there, always stay happy and positive!

Good luck with your rehabilitation.

Edited by Gumballthechewy

I live in the ground floor, no need for ladders :bigblush:

On a serious note, I greatly admire your outlook. Positivity is key.

Awww thanks dollface. I've two daughters, I have to be positive. I got depressed, I couldn't see them, I got even more depressed, I almost went down a very bad road. I found a hobby, I found a reason to go on.

There's people that have it FAR FAR worse than I do. I have skills, education and mobility, I am not an inspiration in my own eyes. I am a dad, I don't have the time to be inspirational or moping.

Deb's example, that person is an inspiration.

But, again ground floor you say???

• Upvote 1

Damn.. that's extremely rough. You've gone through a lot, props to you for keeping your head up and recovering. I hope things continue to get better for you, and I'm sorry you had to experience all that in the first place. :(