The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Ripper List

Tenacious

• 1 month later...

keslerr here has failed, big time.

/user/60115-keslerr/">http://forum.canucks.com/user/60115-keslerr/

First she asked me to make a sig. OK, made that, gave it, asked for credit,....

Next thing you know its not even up.

Then i ask her if she's gonna use it or are you wasting my time?

She's like, im sorry, and puts it up- THE URL laugh.gifpost-5758-1225601204.gif

But credit isn't given.

_hypnotoad__by_PoisonTouch.gif

keslerr here has failed, big time.

/user/60115-keslerr/">http://forum.canucks.../60115-keslerr/

First she asked me to make a sig. OK, made that, gave it, asked for credit,....

Next thing you know its not even up.

Then i ask her if she's gonna use it or are you wasting my time?

She's like, im sorry, and puts it up- THE URL laugh.gifpost-5758-1225601204.gif

But credit isn't given.

_hypnotoad__by_PoisonTouch.gif

I've always loved this issue. I find it rather amusing when people complain about others using their so-called work when it was never yours to begin with. Now, unless you took the image yourself, most of what we see is ripped work. When you use an image without the consent of the individual who took it, that's ripping. Most of what we see was never yours, or mine, to begin with. Coincidentally that would be like me taking a marker and drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa. Does that make it mine because I added my own artistic touch? I don't think so. I'm not saying I'm exempt from this, it's quite clear that I didn't take either of the images in my signature. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone, I've just always found this issue to be conflicting.

Keep on keeping on.

A lot of people in this thread need to unknot their panties. There are at least 5-6 users that are using sigs I have made, and it really doesn't bother me. Does it really mean that much to you to have your name in some persons sig?

Actual ripping is a little different, mind you.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would be flattered if some used a sig of mine with or without credit. RE: Humble Rodent: I agree I don't think people should be sooo attached these "digital files" (usually less than 100kb) that some people probably spend less that an hour making. Obviously "ripping credit" is low, and it seems to me that it's a cry for attention (ei. hits on their post, replies etc.) . I don't lose any creative inspiration, or money, or personal recognition. For those that have been ripped, think of it as "lending attention" (ei. feeding the hungry) . These "Rippers" will become more and more transparent as time goes on. Fake people don't go far (a.k.a. Karma). Just embed your handle in the graphics.

I never undersood the demand for credit either. As long as they don't claim to have made it themselves and aren't disgracing it in any way, who cares? If sig making was something you get paid for, then yeah, I'd understand why you'd want to make sure you get credit for it. But for internet pride? Nahhhhh.

But I disagree with watermarking. It's ugly.

Personally I think it's up to the sig maker. If people ask for my sigs to have I expect them to give me credit because I like having some recognition from some hard work I did. And it helps spread your name more to become a more respected graphic designer.

• 4 months later...

It's nice to give credit, someone spent time to make the graphic and it shows appreciation.

But in the grand scheme of the world, it's one of those situations where you have to shrug it off if they don't bother and just feel bad that they weren't taught good manners.

Archived